Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite short stories

Options
  • 09-02-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

Here's 3 of mine but then I had to put in a 4th

An incident at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose Bierce

The Lottery - Shirley Jackson

Leningen versus the ants - Carl Stephenson

The Lady or the Tiger - Frank Stockton

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The Dead by James Joyce

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

The snows of Kilimanjaro (Hemingway)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭First_October

Have to agree with An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge; it's unbelievably good!

Other favourites:

The Lumber Room - Saki

The October Game - Ray Bradbury

Guests of the Nation - Frank O'Connor

Up The Bare Stairs - Sean O'Faolain

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

The Artificial ****** - Flannery O'Connor

Two Gallants - James Joyce

Or for a laugh:

The Unrest-cure
    Tobermory - Both Saki

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Pastures of Heaven - John Steinbeck; a wonderful expose on human nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The Widow's Son by Mary Lavin.

Left a lasting impression on me from when I first read it many years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A Perfect Day for Bananafish by J.D. Salinger.

I thought this was stunning when I first read it, and it has stayed in my mind since.

I'd highly recommend 'Nine Stories' which is the short story collection that features this work.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

Ms. Lola - Junot Diaz
    A Shingawa Monkey - Haruki Murakami
    The Lottery - Shirley Jackson
    Extreme Solitude (later incorporated into the Marriage Plot) - Jeffrey Eugenides

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Tales of unrest - Conrad
    Especially "Karain - A memory"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

What is the William Trevor story about the old Anglo-Irish brother and sister who were hanging on to the big house with the background of local nationalism??

I used to love the stories from Padraig O'Conaire on the leaving cert course, Nora Mharcais Bhig, Na lig sin I gcathú.

Kevin Barry is an outstanding modern short story writer, Beer trip to Llandudno is one that springs to mind as it won a very big award a couple of years ago.

Frank O'Connor's first confession story is onei have very fond memories of from primary school.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

'Fish' by Anna Taborska,

That link takes you to a PDF of the story that Anna Taborska has kindly given the site in question permission to use. It's one of my all time favourite stories, very Lovecraftian in feel, and quite pulpy in it's own way. It's a fantastic tale of transformation and vengeance that manages to inject a little humour into the guts of it all, and the way in which the author brings it all together is inspired.

If you like it, she has a collection out called 'For Those Who Dream Monsters'.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Raymond Carver - almost anything by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

A Perfect Day for Bananafish by J.D. Salinger.

I thought this was stunning when I first read it, and it has stayed in my mind since.

I'd highly recommend 'Nine Stories' which is the short story collection that features this work.

A Perfect Day for Bananafish is my favourite ever short story.

Coincidentally I read a short story by Salinger last weekend called "The Ocean Was Full of Bowling Balls." It's unpublished but available online. It reduced me to tears, even the third time I read it. Since you loved A Perfect Day for Bananafish you should check this out if you haven't yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner is a masterpiece.

George Orwell's Such, Such Were the Joys

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Currently working my way through Hemmingway's short stories. Some very good stuff in there, most of them are worth a second read.

I'd go with "Hills like White Elephants" and "A Simple Enquiry" as my favourites so far, so much going on that is just beneath the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Stechkin

Leo Tolstoy "War and Peace" .

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I recently listened to a recording of the short story The Last Question by Isaac Asimov. You can listen to it here:

I thought this was great. I will definitely have to check out more works by the author.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Colin Barrett's "Young Skins" is an excellent collection from a brilliant young Irish writer.

Denis Johnson "Jesus' Son"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains by Neil Gaiman. Dark and strange and shocking, a masterclass in slow burn tension building.

The Other Place by Mary Gaitskill is compelling and terrifying.

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Stetson. When I read it first it was like someone had documented my worst nightmare.

The Beast and the Bear by Ethel Rohan. It really stayed with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

[QUOTE=FaulknersFav;94668274
    George Orwell's Such, Such Were the Joys[/QUOTE]

I know I'm nitpicking here but that's an essay, not a short story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Out of curiosity. Where do people read short stories? Do you buy the short story collections. I was under the impression they are published elsewhere and add to collections at a later time. But like are their regular places that are not short story collections to read them?

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    Out of curiosity. Where do people read short stories? Do you buy the short story collections. I was under the impression they are published elsewhere and add to collections at a later time. But like are their regular places that are not short story collections to read them?

I read collections and anthologies but also frequent a horror forum that posts lots of out of copyright short stories(as well as some new ones that they have specific permission from the respective authors to host). As well as that, each year they post a story a day for advent in the lead up to Christmas, strangely enough. For example, here's a list of daily horror short stories for advent for the past 4 years. Loads of stories for to enjoy here. They really are worth your time too,

(I'm not sure if you have to be a forum member to download each story though, but it's free, quick and simple to join(of course))

Enjoy.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    The Truth is a Cave in the Black Mountains by Neil Gaiman. Dark and strange and shocking, a masterclass in slow burn tension building.

The Other Place by Mary Gaitskill is compelling and terrifying.

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Stetson. When I read it first it was like someone had documented my worst nightmare.

The Beast and the Bear by Ethel Rohan. It really stayed with me.

The Yellow Wallpaper really is a great story. I only came across it myself recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

A Good Man is Hard To Find by Flannery O'Connor is a great example of Southern Gothic literature.

http://www.boyd.k12.ky.us/userfiles/447/Classes/28660/A%20Good%20Man%20Is%20Hard%20To%20Find.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭pavb2

PressRun wrote: »
    A Good Man is Hard To Find by Flannery O'Connor is a great example of Southern Gothic literature.

http://www.boyd.k12.ky.us/userfiles/447/Classes/28660/A%20Good%20Man%20Is%20Hard%20To%20Find.pdf
    Yes that story definitely leaves an impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

pavb2 wrote: »
    Yes that story definitely leaves an impression.

A good man is hard to find. Just click the link. How is it possible to class that as a short story. It's 300 pages.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    A good man is hard to find. Just click the link. How is it possible to class that as a short story. It's 300 pages.

"... and other stories."

?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

About 30 pages going by the PDF numeration :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement