Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VAG OBD2 II Auto Diagnostic Scanner Tool KIT Code Reader

Options
  • 02-10-2015 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was looking at some cheap €10 to €50 OBD II diagnostic scanners.

Anyone have advise on makes or best value for money with optimal practicality, ability for function with petrol and diesel and function to turn off airbag and engine management lights.

Big ask with a small budget, right.

Love to give you a challenge

DWG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Depends on the car you want use it on. I have a €15 elm327 Bluetooth adaptor which I use in conjunction with my android phone. It doesn't really do live data, although there are plenty of nice dials on the interface that will show you oil temp, boost, revs and a whole host more depending on the sensors available in your car.

I have used it twice to check for codes from an engine light, both times the codes were found to be correct when read by a more expensive commercial reader.

It won't, however, work on VAG cars (in my experience) and obviously the year of the car will determine connectivity.

Re. brands, mine is a generic Chinese knockoff from eBay. It came with software for your laptop, but its hard to beat the torque app

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DWG

Thanks cletus,

I will be using it on VW Polo 2004, 2 BMW's one is a 316 (2004) and the other 320 D (2003). A 1998 Nissan Primera 1.6 pet. A Suzuki Ignis 2005. And Suzuki Vitara 2002. Friends and family cars. Lol.

I was looking at this "Universal Maxiscan MS300 Fault Diagnostic Scanner Code Reader OBD II CAN EOBD" on adverts.

I think it could do airbag and engine management lights. I think I will give it a go unless you think I should try something different.

Thanks Again

DWG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

The primera probably won't be EOBD compliant, so most likely will be difficult to get one in that budget to work with that.

johnayo wrote: »
    The primera probably won't be EOBD compliant, so most likely will be difficult to get one in that budget to work with that.

Thanks johnayo, Any recommendations on something that could do all of these cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Any of the cheap ones won't do airbag lights.

A Chinese clone of ds150e might be worth investigating. You would need a laptop to go with it but a very powerful piece of kit for 60-90 euro. Maybe less if you can wait 2 months for one to come direct from China.

Must get one myself

• Advertisement

A Chinese clone of ds150e might be worth investigating. You would need a laptop to go with it but a very powerful piece of kit for 60-90 euro. Maybe less if you can wait 2 months for one to come direct from China.

Must get one myself

The one I was looking at on adverts claimed to do airbags also. cost was 33 quid ish.

Must get one myself

Ordered one today, I will let you know how it is when I get it.

Thanks again

DWG

Must get one myself

Got my new Chinese Ds150e today. Had great fun with it. Its a beautiful piece of kit. Reset airbag lights and read error codes in BMW e46 and reset Suzuki Ignis engine light. Its really sweet. Highly recommended. Thanks for your advice.

DWG

Advertisement