Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ay recommendations of a good novel for art/art history lovers?

Options
  • 16-09-2015 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

The title says it all. I already know of Dorian Grey, Portrait of an Artist as Young Man, and Girl with a Pearl Earring. Any other intruiging ones out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

I haven't read it yet but The Recognitions by William Gaddis is meant to be a great book about an art forger

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The Painter by Will Davenport - aka James Long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Headlong by Michael Frayn

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MrYlad

fruvai wrote: »
    I haven't read it yet but The Recognitions by William Gaddis is meant to be a great book about an art forger

Definitely giving this one a read! Sounds very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The Moon and Sixpence by Somerset Maugham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I loved Girl Reading by Katie Ward. It's a series of seven interlinked stories about portraits of women reading, from the Renaissance to the present, and how they came to be created. Combines art & books, I loved it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

The Goldfinch - haven't read it myself but it's about a stolen painting of some bird I think, forget which one..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk. It's set among the miniaturist artists of the Ottoman empire in Istanbul. It's a historical novel/murder mystery/love story. It goes into a lot of detail about the artistic techniques of the miniaturists and the conflict between them and the Venician artists who were exploring perspective. Im only halfway through. It's a slow read but I'm really enjoying it. It's written from the perspective of multiple characters and can be hilarious at times.

Advertisement