Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Auris or Focus?

Options
  • 29-09-2014 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

I'm upgrading my 05 Golf and have been looking at either a 08 Focus or a 08 Auris. My father was very keen on the Auris but from the reviews that I have seen online and from what I've heard people talking about it, I'm not very confident that I should get it.
    Just looking for what people think who may have some experience driving these cars? Preferably I would like a car with an engine no bigger than a 1.6.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

martinak89 wrote: »
    I'm upgrading my 05 Golf and have been looking at either a 08 Focus or a 08 Auris. My father was very keen on the Auris but from the reviews that I have seen online and from what I've heard people talking about it, I'm not very confident that I should get it.
    Just looking for what people think who may have some experience driving these cars? Preferably I would like a car with an engine no bigger than a 1.6.

Mazda 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Mazda 3?

Same as a Focus of that year. I wouldn't buy a 2008 Focus diesel, but the 1.6 petrol is good. Probably a more engaging drive than the Auris. Auris would be more reliable though, but boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

TBi wrote: »
    Same as a Focus of that year. I wouldn't buy a 2008 Focus diesel, but the 1.6 petrol is good. Probably a more engaging drive than the Auris. Auris would be more reliable though, but boring.

The Mazda will be better equipped as standard generally

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Kia Ceed or Hyundai i30???

Probably get an 09 or 10 for the same money as the auris

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭martinak89

Well the main reason I'm changing to diesel is the amount of mileage I'm doing every week is killing me trying to keep the car filled with petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Well the main reason I'm changing to diesel is the amount of mileage I'm doing every week is killing me trying to keep the car filled with petrol.

What mileage do you do a year? My wife has an 08 Kia Ceed 1.4 petrol as she does less than 10k kms a year so it's all short journeys but yet her car still averages 6.4l/100km (45mpg) and will do 48mpg on long journeys.

The bills you'd get from repairing a diesel could cost you more in the long run. A petrol will be cheaper to purchase and repair. It will take a lot of milage to make up the difference. I drive 100km per day and just bought a petrol after working out the maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The bills you'd get from repairing a diesel could cost you more in the long run. A petrol will be cheaper to purchase and repair. It will take a lot of milage to make up the difference. I drive 100km per day and just bought a petrol after working out the maths.

Don't mention the war :D

On a serious note - the petrol might be "killing" you on fuel costs OP - but some things to note

1) your upgrading from an 05 petrol to an 08 diesel - the reality here is that your doing something a LOT of others also want to do - buy something diesel 08 or newer. The cost of this needs to be considered carefully.

2) what driving do you do - if you do mostly SHORT trips especially if around town - a diesel with a DPF WON'T suit. It is possible just about to buy a post 08 diesel without DPF - but many/most manufacturers had gone down completely or massively progressing down the road of DPFs.

Personally - and its just my view - id rather pay more at the petrol station then pay more on repairs

Old diesel wrote: »
    Don't mention the war :D

On a serious note - the petrol might be "killing" you on fuel costs OP - but some things to note

1) your upgrading from an 05 petrol to an 08 diesel - the reality here is that your doing something a LOT of others also want to do - buy something diesel 08 or newer. The cost of this needs to be considered carefully.

2) what driving do you do - if you do mostly SHORT trips especially if around town - a diesel with a DPF WON'T suit. It is possible just about to buy a post 08 diesel without DPF - but many/most manufacturers had gone down completely or massively progressing down the road of DPFs.

Personally - and its just my view - id rather pay more at the petrol station then pay more on repairs

I'd drive about 100 km a day. There would be the odd short trip to town for the shopping once or twice a week. I thought the diesel would save me money :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Is it a 1.4 Golf?

They are a notoriously awful and under powered engine.

A more modern petrol should be much better on fuel.

• Advertisement

What size engine is the car? I'm driving a 1.4 petrol and spending about 65 -75 euro a week and I'm driving about the same as you everyday

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Is it a 1.4 Golf?

They are a notoriously awful and under powered engine.

A more modern petrol should be much better on fuel.

Yeah 1.4 golf! Costing me a fortune :(

A more modern petrol should get you 40mpg+ provided you drive sensibly.

The 1.4 is fairly terrible on juice in that Golf and you need a runway to overtake anybody too.

I wouldn't discount a diesel but be aware you will pay a premium for one and it will cost you more to service and maintain it.

A more modern petrol should get you 40mpg+ provided you drive sensibly.

The 1.4 is fairly terrible on juice in that Golf and you need a runway to overtake anybody too.

I wouldn't discount a diesel but be aware you will pay a premium for one and it will cost you more to service and maintain it.

Oh ok didn't know that! I would drive no more than 100km/hr going to work and the odd 120km/hr when on the motorway. I know the guy dad was talking to about the diesel Auris said that I should get 50mpg so not really a massive difference at all!

A Prius would be well worth looking at if MPG is your main concern.

Honda Civic should be good on petrol too, as would a Fiesta.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

I'm driving a 08 Corolla 1.4 diesel and driving 100km a day also.
    I put between €35 to €40 a week into my car and that includes shopping trips.
    Great reliable car I have to say

norabattie wrote: »
    I'm driving a 08 Corolla 1.4 diesel and driving 100km a day also.
    I put between €35 to €40 a week into my car and that includes shopping trips.
    Great reliable car I have to say

Brilliant :) Ill have a look online for some for sale and see what I can find! Thank you!

What size engine is the car? I'm driving a 1.4 petrol and spending about 65 -75 euro a week and I'm driving about the same as you everyday

2.2L 520i. I pay less than that per week. Maybe 60 per week (8l/100km).

If I had a diesel at 5.0l/100km(55MPG) then I'd be paying 40 per week in fuel. So over the year about 1000 saving (under ideal conditions) but initial cost in my case would have been ~2-3k more expensive plus who knows what mechanical issues might arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Get a 08 diesel golf. Why not?

Mossess wrote: »
    Get a 08 diesel golf. Why not?

Oh I've tried, absolutely impossible to get one. Most dealers have waiting lists for people who want a 08 diesel golf.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that, can you name down for one?
    I think there are 2 things to perhaps wait for one

1) otherwise every time you sit into your compromised choice you’ll regret it.
    2) When it comes time to sell again, which will end up costing you a lot more?

If I had to choose between the Auris and the Focus I’d go for the Mondeo. : ) OK. So that wasn’t one of them, but it seems to be an all-round better car then the focus, and very good as high milers.

Sorry to hear that, can you name down for one?
    I think there are 2 things to perhaps wait for one

1) otherwise every time you sit into your compromised choice you’ll regret it.
    2) When it comes time to sell again, which will end up costing you a lot more?

If I had to choose between the Auris and the Focus I’d go for the Mondeo. : ) OK. So that wasn’t one of them, but it seems to be an all-round better car then the focus, and very good as high milers.

I could pop my name down on a list but one dealer said it could be months before I hear anything. Not too bad in reality so ill probably end up doing that anyway.
    Also the main reason I'm asking about an auris or Focus is because their hatchbacks :) don't see myself driving a saloon!

Seriously, take a look at Prius. If you want to save money on running costs you won't do much better for a non-Diesel. A 2008 model should cost around 8-9k, tax is 190e, good mpg and very reliable and well built. You won't win any cool points and not a very exciting drive but it does its job extremely well.

Modern 1.0 petrol cars are very economical these days too and while not fast(obviously), i've found the ones i've test drove to perfectly adequate for average day to day driving.

Seriously, take a look at Prius. If you want to save money on running costs you won't do much better for a non-Diesel. A 2008 model should cost around 8-9k, tax is 190e, good mpg and very reliable and well built. You won't win any cool points and not a very exciting drive but it does its job extremely well.

Modern 1.0 petrol cars are very economical these days too and while not fast(obviously), i've found the ones i've test drove to perfectly adequate for average day to day driving.

I'll have a look at the local dealer and see if they have any I can take for a test drive and see how I like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hyundai i30 and Kia Ceed are definitely worth looking at. Both are basically the same car underneath, very reliable, good build quality and diesel engine is nippy enough.

If you like the diesel Golf then look at the Seat Leon and Skoda Octavia, these are all the same car as the Golf too.

bazz26 wrote: »

If you like the diesel Golf then look at the Seat Leon and Skoda Octavia, these are all the same car as the Golf too.

Ah now, That’s a bit like saying "take your sister to the dance instead of your girlfriend, sure they are both basically the same, in that they are female." No, they are not. It’s just wrong. Wrong I tell you!

Ok, joking aside. They are not the same. The scoda is cheaper for a reason. You get what you pay for. As for the Mondeo, you can get the hatch back version, It’s the one I’d go for.

As for the Prius, I've only ever heard good things said about them. (if you exclude what was said on top gear)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ah now, That’s a bit like saying "take your sister to the dance instead of your girlfriend, sure they are both basically the same, in that they are female." No, they are not. It’s just wrong. Wrong I tell you!

Ok, joking aside. They are not the same. The scoda is cheaper for a reason. You get what you pay for. As for the Mondeo, you can get the hatch back version, It’s the one I’d go for.

As for the Prius, I've only ever heard good things said about them. (if you exclude what was said on top gear)

They all use the same platform, engines, running gear and share numerous bits, built my the same company. Going by your logic you might as well forget a Golf and buy an Audi A3 instead. It's basically a Golf too with a posher badge or to use your analogy the A3 is like your girlfriends classier sister.

It's basically a Golf too with a posher badge or to use your analogy the A3 is like your girlfriends classier sister.

LOL, excellent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hyundai i30 and Kia Ceed are definitely worth looking at. Both are basically the same car underneath, very reliable, good build quality and diesel engine is nippy enough.

Either i30 or ceed outclass the Auris.

• Advertisement

Oh I've tried, absolutely impossible to get one. Most dealers have waiting lists for people who want a 08 diesel golf.

You'll get a petrol 08 golf for half nothing since no one wants one. You'll save a good 2-3k on the price which will buy you a LOAD of petrol. If you want to save money this would be the best way.

Or you could get a Prius. I tried the latest version and it was far better than the reviews say.

Advertisement