Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Means test child savings accounts

• 03-11-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there,
    My husband was made redundant and is on JB, but this will expire soon and he'll have to be means tested for JA.
    My question is: does welfare trawl through all relevant PPS numbers in household when doing a bank search? ie, will the means test cover the money we've been saving as college funds from Child Benefit in our children's bank accounts? Do we need to be locking this away better in a trust fund so that it's not counted as our own means/savings?
    Thanks for you advice in advance
    Vix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

moved to State Benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jaffaD

I had a means test recently and they asked if I had any investments so i'd imagine if you put money in a trust fund they would still need to know about it, so I think they would need you to declare the savings that you have.
    It's unfortunate that it is savings for your child but in fairness the welfare officer should no if you have money and calculate welfare payments based on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Technically the money is in your childrens bank accounts in their name so assuming that they are the only ones that can withdraw from their accounts then i would assume that this would not be considered your husbands means, however it should be declared to the social welfare officer.

Citizens advice were very informative when I rang them recently about a JSA query.

Advertisement