Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best album for album band/artist

Options
  • 28-10-2014 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

So who is the best artist/band only taking all albums into account?

For me I'm going for the Chemical Brothers. Their albums are constantly good to excellent. For me Come with us it the weak one of the bunch but still goes along nicely.
    Other random considerations:
    Oasis - 2/3 good albums the rest are okay. After be here now some great individual songs but albums were a bit boring.
    Kings of Leon - first Two were great, Because of the times ok but I didn't like the next two. Have only listened to come around sundown twice.
    Led Zeppelin - I Never like In through the out door
    White stripes - Probably would be my no. 1 but for St Andrews and Prickly thorn on the icky thump album, I really hate them songs.
    Left field - first album phenomenal second album 3 good song and the rest are just fine.

So what do you thing and why.
    The only rule is they must have more than 1 album.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

The Strokes, consistently had good albums with a masterpiece thrown in there too.
    The Smiths, TQID is fantastic and the others aren't half bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

Dexys Midnight Runners: only 3 albums but all 3 are gems. A raw but intensely brilliant debut, the classic Too Rye Ay and the so-called "lost classic" Dont Stand Me Down.

The Clash: Debut album and London Calling stand the test of time, Sandinista! is impenetrable in places but belatedly recognised as a fine record and second album Give Em Enough Rope isn't bad, and Combat Rock has its moments.

Nick Cave: keeps releasing classic album after album. Thought he'd peaked in the 90s...but has released 3 great records in the last decade, a demonic force of nature

Of the others mentioned, I wouldnt count Kings of Leon, i liked em for a little while but they even seem bored with themselves these days

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

DylanAFC wrote: »
    The Strokes, consistently had good albums with a masterpiece thrown in there too.
    The Smiths, TQID is fantastic and the others aren't half bad either.

Good call on the strokes. They are a very good album band alright. Which one do you consider to be a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Dexys Midnight Runners: only 3 albums but all 3 are gems. A raw but intensely brilliant debut, the classic Too Rye Ay and the so-called "lost classic" Dont Stand Me Down.

The Clash: Debut album and London Calling stand the test of time, Sandinista! is impenetrable in places but belatedly recognised as a fine record and second album Give Em Enough Rope isn't bad, and Combat Rock has its moments.

Since reuniting, Dexys have released a fourth album called One Day I'm Going To Soar, and it's rather good too.

The Clash soiled their copybook by releasing Cut The Crap, though (they should have listened to their own advice!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

blastman wrote: »
    Since reuniting, Dexys have released a fourth album called One Day I'm Going To Soar, and it's rather good too.

The Clash soiled their copybook by releasing Cut The Crap, though (they should have listened to their own advice!)

Yeah was chuffed to see a new Dexys release, although not up to standard of the DMR era, there is some very good material on it

I went to see the Clash in 84 in the old SFX hall and remember coming away thinking the new material aint too bad, then later wondering what class of aural assault was hitting my ears when i bought the new album. You can forgive any band one stinker i think though!

• Advertisement

Icaras wrote: »
    Good call on the strokes. They are a very good album band alright. Which one do you consider to be a masterpiece.

Is This It, what a way to announce yourself on the scene.

A friend mentioned the stone roses - two albums are amazing. Have they a new one on the way?

A friend mentioned the stone roses - two albums are amazing. Have they a new one on the way?

Second one is certainly not amazing imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

kasabian have 5 good to excellent albums as do arctic monkeys.

kanye west first 3 albums were excellent and then he lost his ****

DylanAFC wrote: »
    Second one is certainly not amazing imo.

I love it. Whe you consider John Squire done most of the songs whereas Ian Brown done most of the first one where the sound and feeling is mostly consitent across the two and with great songs like breaking into heaven, love spreads and tightrope. Of course thats just my opinon too....

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    kasabian have 5 good to excellent albums as do arctic monkeys.

2nd album syndrome on both of them for me loved all their albums except for empire and fav worst nightmare. Both albums have some great songs on them too.

Also brick by brick on suck it and see - for me, just a horrible song for a band (and album) of such quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

2nd album syndrome on both of them for me loved all their albums except for empire and fav worst nightmare. Both albums have some great songs on them too.

Also brick by brick on suck it and see - for me, just a horrible song for a band (and album) of such quality.

really ? i like brick by brick i find there is far worse songs on suck it and see than brick by brick such as libary pictures in which the band try go back to their roots of their first 2 albums but its terrible.

i tend to agree with you about empire as far as i know it was rushed and also chris karloff who co-wrote the first album with serge was kicked out of the band during production. still i like it but it would be the weakest of kasabians 5 albums.

i love fav worst nightmare and rate it better than humbug

• Registered Users Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The Killers a consistently very good, with b-sides often better than many of the album songs. Pity about the lyrics in many of the songs though

• Registered Users Posts: 33,144 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The The.

Soulmining and Infected, both absolute genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,127 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

P O R T I S H E A D

P O R T I S H E A D

recommend an album!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Dummy, pure class....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement