Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Identification Number for VW/SEAT

Options
  • 12-08-2014 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, My SEAT (2012) Ibiza has just had a replacement engine fitted under warranty. You can see it is a new item all sparkling. I am being told by the dealer that engines don't have serial numbers anymore. This doesn't sound correct. The Log Book contains an Engine Identification Number so this suggests to me that engines have ID numbers. I need the new number so that I can send the engine change form in for registration. Anyone else had a similar experience?

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Motors forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Never heard that before. This from the manual;
    SEAT IBIZA SC TROPHY

1. IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS
    Engine number
    The code letters and the engine number appear on
    the sticker next to the distribution casing and
    on the crankcase on the gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Replacement VW group engines don't come with any numbers stamped on them. Your original engine would have had an engine code and number on the block but the new one won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aardsoft

I'm surprised. I would have thought any engine produced by a company so meticulous as VW would have an ID mark somewhere if only to ward off spurious false claims. I will take emeldc note and have a good look myself. But if what you are saying is true it makes the Vehicle Licensing form for advising of a replacement engine superfluous. Also of course a replacement engine will affexct the resale value of the car so it should be officially noted somewhere that a change has been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭GTE

Serial numbers I get, but how would the distributors know that they are sending the correct engine?

• Advertisement

bbk wrote: »
    Serial numbers I get, but how would the distributors know that they are sending the correct engine?

The part number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

OP, was it a complete engine or just a short block that you got. What problem did you have. As far as I know the blocks don't come with a number, you use your old number. The receipt from the dealer for the rebuild should suffice for your history. There is no need to notify the tax office as technically it's not a new engine, just a new block and re build.

The part number.

That will need a tad more explanation :p. How can there be a part number on the new engine if they have no numbers stamped on them? Is it a sticker? Good faith from the people who run the places where the engines are stored etc.?
    Replacement VW group engines don't come with any numbers stamped on them.

bbk wrote: »
    That will need a tad more explanation :p. How can there be a part number on the new engine if they have no numbers stamped on them? Is it a sticker? Good faith from the people who run the places where the engines are stored etc.?

When I said no numbers in my earlier post I meant no serial numbers, not no part numbers. I obviously should have been more clear on that point for some of the more pedantic posters on here :)

So just to re-iterate, the replacement engine comes with a part number on the casting which is how VW identify it, but the area of the block that normally has the engine code and number is blank.

When I said no numbers in my earlier post I meant no serial numbers, not no part numbers. I obviously should have been more clear on that point for some of the more pedantic posters on here :)

So just to re-iterate, the replacement engine comes with a part number on the casting which is how VW identify it, but the area of the block that normally has the engine code and number is blank.

That makes much more sense, thanks for clearing it up. ;)

That should sort out the OPs worries from their second post.

We know now there is something to reference their dealer receipt with whats been fitted into the wagon.

• Advertisement

So there is nothing to stop a 'Dealer' returning a clean but clapped out engine and claiming it is the one they have just replaced. I'm sorry but I find that laughable. There must be some way to identify the new replacement engine. Incicentally it wasn't just the engine block but the whole kabang.

I don't understand why this is an issue for you to be honest.

At the end of the day your car was fixed under warranty, that should be the end of it as far as you are concerned.

Incidentally the dealer couldn't send back another engine claiming it was the one they fitted to your car unless it was an engine that was previously purchased as a replacement part. It is only the replacement engines that don't have serial numbers, engines fitted from the factory do have serial numbers.

Even in the highly unlikely event that they did have such an engine lying around and in the even more unlikely event that they did decide to abuse the system by returning it and making a spurious warranty claim realistically what has that got to do with you? Nothing whatsoever...

George, My interest is simple. A 2012 SEAT IBIZA with an engine that has done 65000 km has a resale value less than one with an engine that has done 1000 km. I want the fact that a replacement engine has been fitted to be registered and visible on the log book for any prospective purchaser should I wish to sell. Is that too much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

aardsoft wrote: »
    George, My interest is simple. A 2012 SEAT IBIZA with an engine that has done 65000 km has a resale value less than one with an engine that has done 1000 km. I want the fact that a replacement engine has been fitted to be registered and visible on the log book for any prospective purchaser should I wish to sell. Is that too much to ask?

in short, yes, that is too much to ask.

the log book has a space (p.5) for an engine number. which currently has your cars original engine number on it. even if you wrote to the department of transport and asked them to change it to a new engine number how would anyone know that it wasn't the original anyway, bar your own word?

your proof of the job i would assume is documented by Seat in your cars service history, i'm sure they also gave you a receipt which would act as further proof. incidentally, these are probably the only forms of proof i would accept of an engine swap, rather than someone i don't know asking me to believe that the engine number recorded on the log book isn't the original.

the valuation difference of the car is minimal, at present, it may make your car worth a couple of hundred more, maybe, maybe not. in my eyes i would have to ask myself what cars engine craps itself to the point of needing total replacement after just 2 years and 65k miles and would i want to be buying that car with the same model engine still fitted, so it could make it less valuable in some peoples eyes. the older the car gets, the less and less likely that the car is worth anything more due to having had a replacement engine fitted. you must remember the rest of the car (seats, interior, paint, bodywork and suspension, brakes and electrical etc) have all still done 65k km's so it is far from a new car.

aardsoft wrote: »

Why would you want it on the logbook when you have a receipt from Seat?

Also, as already posted above, the replacement engine doesn't make the car any more valuable at all. In fact it would raise suspicion for a lot of buyers. If we were retailing that car we probably wouldn't say anything at all about the replacement engine to any prospective buyers.

I appreciate and thank you for your input George but my point is that I do not have a receipt or any documentation from the Dealer that a replacement engine has been fitted. I will ask them to provide same and I can keep it with the log book. I take your point about casting doubts but personally given the choice between a car with an old engine and one with a new engine I'm likely to choose the latter. But then perhaps that is just me and other buyers have different views.Thanks again for the input.

You should have gotten some documentation from the dealer so the best thing to do is get them to supply that and keep it with the history of the car as you say.

Advertisement