Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Card & Jobseekers Allowance

Options
  • 03-11-2011 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

My medical card expired this summer. I had an application to re-apply for it but I couldn't find the appropriate category that I belong in.
    My circunstances haven't changed much, I live with my parents, i've turned 18... the main difference is that I finished HS and am not doing a course this year due to financial problems. Will I not get a medical card because of that?

Also, i've been looking for a job since August, I need to sav eup so I can afford my course next year. But unsurprisingly I havent found anything... people tell me to come back in x day and when I do, it's like there was never a job vacancy in the first place cuz they just give me blank looks. Will I qualify for Jobseekers Allowance even if I have no job experience? At this rate idk if i'll find a job or not, so if I didnt get one, maybe I could save up the Allowance payment. And I hear they help you get a job too so that would be great, not liking the idea of sitting at home for a year.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If your parents are in receipt of a social welfare payment, you may apply as they're dependent.

If they are both working, you will be means tested for JSA and MC, Your weekly payment could be as little as €20 per week.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html#l62fd2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

As you are over 18 you will have to make a jobseekers allowance claim in your own right. Any means your parents have from earnings or savings will be calculated as means against you as you are <25. The maximum payment for your age on JSA is €100 if you get a nil means decision. You should make a claim at your local sw office and re-apply for your medical card and state you are unemployed.

Advertisement