Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer Gardens ??

Options
  • 01-11-2004 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

OK...I'm a smoker. Ban is in....and life goes on. Before the lectures, I never liked smoking around people who didn't smoke, so I understand the rationale.

I've basically stopped going to the pub, unless there's a place I can sit outside. What I'd like to know....is where are the best places for smokers?. The best Beer Gardens.....the best protection...etc. In fairness, the law wasn't designed to make us stop....just stop around people who don't !. In fact, it was really about protecting employees.

Anyway, where are the best places where we can enjoy a cigarette...without bothering non-smokers. We're still customers, and the pubs have not been directed to make life impossible for us.

So.....where are they ???.

K.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 flygirl

Are you in Dublin?
    Lots of 'smoking areas' have sprung up all over the place, these seem to be the pubs that are really winning the popularity contest since the ban. Although 'smoking area' seems to cover anything from a plastic chair and table on the street outside a pub, to the more agreeable heated and landscaped smoking areas that some places have built.

I'm not a regular smoker myself but I do like the odd few sometimes on a night out, so here are a few decent places in Dublin if that's any good to you:
    (some of these might be much less appealing now the cold weather is well and truly here than they were a few months ago..)

- Bia Bar, Stephen St (beside Break for the Border), purpose built beer garden out the back with tables, plants, lighting, heaters etc. Only drawback is that it's a bit far away from the main pub if you have to keep going in and out...

- Rathmines Inn, this pub has been done up and now has a nice beer garden around the side with benches etc., no patio heaters the last time i was there though

- DTwo, Harcourt St, total meat market at the weekends but they have a pretty snazzy (or fairly tacky) outdoor area out the back of the upstairs bar which is good craic

- The Bailey, Bruxelle's, Davy Byrne's around Grafton st all have outdoor seated areas which are good spots for people watching (if you don't freeze)

- The Market Bar, Fade St, is my favourite as not only is it one of the best spots in Dublin at the moment (imho) but it has a fantastic open area just inside the front gates which is a good compromise between an outdoor area and the main pub, good spot to gather with a group of smokers and non-smokers as it usually pleases everyone

- The Odeon, Harcourt St, has always had a great outdoor terrace which is even more popular now, lots of seating and heated etc. Pretty dire music at the weekend though (although depends on your taste), has got fairly tacky over the past couple of years

- Russell's in Ranelagh has a fantastic rooftop seating area which is heated but it's usually jammers any night of the week, really popular though

OK, that's all I can think of right now! ;)

Advertisement