Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What TV programmes are you watching? May contain SPOILERS.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I just finished watching Rectify and would definitely recommend it. 6 episodes in total with Season 2 due to be aired next year. It slow paced but beautifully filmed with some strong characters.

About Rectify:
    After 19 years on Death Row for the rape and murder of his teenage girlfriend, Daniel Holden is going home. His conviction has been vacated due to new DNA evidence. Now he has to return to a world he no longer knows and his reentry into the outside world may be as unforgiving as prison. Daniel is haunted by the past, dogged by the present, and uncertain of the future. As he struggles to adapt to his new life, his homecoming reignites the fears of a small town and threatens to shatter his family’s fragile peace. Daniel’s alleged crime divided a community. Will his freedom tear it in half?

http://www.sundancechannel.com/series/rectify/cast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

We've been revisiting Hamish Macbeth on ITV3. It was the first time we ever saw Robert Carlyle - and look at him now! Great actor. Used to love this series first time round. Last one we recently saw was Series 3 Ep.8 which was unfortunately too daft even for us but all the previous ones were chuckleful.

"Robert Carlyle plays the laid back policeman, transferred from his Glasgow beat to the Highland village of Loch Dubh, where he finds he is a natural at dealing with the inhabitants' quirky ways."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

"Last Tango in Halifax" is back - starting this Tuesday night at 9 pm. Its rare to see the subject of elder love explored.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Really enjoyed the first series. Great actors in it.

I also enjoyed the first series. I am hoping they can keep going with it and also hope they don't turn it into a soap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Must thank Red Hare for pointing me in the direction of Last Tango. Caught up on season 1 online and am now really enjoying season 2. Such dysfunction!

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Must thank Red Hare for pointing me in the direction of Last Tango. Caught up on season 1 online and am now really enjoying season 2. Such dysfunction!

Such dysfunction all right! Watched tonight's episode - an awful lot happening in a very short space of time. Hope it doesn't get too complicated.

Must check that out, sounds good

I recommend it jos! I am keeping my fingers crossed the writer doesn't let it get away from her. Very interesting characters, in particular Gillian, played by Nicola Walker.

Oh POO POO DE POO DE POO DE POODYPOOO AND PEE!! I just heard Ripper Street is being cancelled!!! :mad:

• Advertisement

Watched the first 3 episodes of Last Tango and it's really good. Some very intriguing characters, great storyline and all set in one of my favourite parts of the world. Looking forward to watching more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Oh POO POO DE POO DE POO DE POODYPOOO AND PEE!! I just heard Ripper Street is being cancelled!!! :mad:

Aww and it is a great series too. (excuse insane sobbing here) BUT Doctor Who is back on Christmas day at 19:30 hours :)

We watched the last of the series of Mr. Selfridge last night. I am not giving any storyline away but I noticed something in one of the shots and we laughed when we saw it. Did anyone else see the programme or notice anything unusual?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lilydonoghue

didn't watch Sherlock but watched The Vikings on rte2 last six weeks or so and thoroughly enjoyed it, not to mention all the fine things in it - looking forward to the second series already

This series came up in conversation at the weekend.
    http://www.bbcshop.com/drama+arts/our-friends-in-the-north/invt/132331

Had a look on the interweb and all 9 episodes are on Youtube. I'd forgotten how brilliant it was. Tremendous cast, including Christopher Eccleston, Gina McKee and a young Daniel Craig. Well worth a look, great soundtrack too

Watched 'Jamaica Inn' this last week. Dark, brooding. I found the speech/sound to be somewhat muffled though. Hard to make out what was being said. Adaptations sometimes are offputting.

Presently am glued to 'Without You' starring Anna Friel on BBC1. Not an original storyline but Friel is brill! Can't wait for Episode 3.

Oooh must have a look at Without You, Jelly. Love Anna Friel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Watched 'Jamaica Inn' this last week. Dark, brooding. I found the speech/sound to be somewhat muffled though. Hard to make out what was being said. Adaptations sometimes are offputting.

Presently am glued to 'Without You' starring Anna Friel on BBC1. Not an original storyline but Friel is brill! Can't wait for Episode 3.

BBC have had a lot of complaints about the dialogue being too mumbled and impossible to understand.

Sounds lika a Saturday night round OG's drinky cabinet to me.

Hmm, I don't think you need too much of an excuse for that if you ask me!

Anyone watching Hinterland? A bit like a Welsh Wallander!

• Advertisement

Not a TV programme, but a film. 'Still Crazy', on TG4 NOW! What's not to like!

Has anyone seen Arne Dahl on BBC4 yet? I watched my first programme this week, it was episode 5 I think. Its Swedish, and a bit like an upbeat version of Wallander and a lot more happening. Some of it is subtitled, some of it in English. I think we are hooked.

Its a year since I added that post. The good news is Arne Dahl is being re-run on TG4 on Sunday nights, which is great for me 'cos I can catch the first couple of episodes I missed first time round. A select team of 6 Swedish cops, all with back stories of course, brought together for special cases. Lots of violence in the first episode if you can take it. Are ye mice or men then? If you like good police/crime drama and don't mind subtitles I highly recommend recording it to watch after the footfall is over. And I had given Irish TV up - ok, so re-runs a year later are handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

I have been away from telly for week... the Good Wife is only one worth watching of recorded stuff. I could have watched on iplayer if had decent wifi. It has one more episode to view. Is this the final series?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I'm not sure if its the final series but it hasn't been the same without Will Gardner!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I so agree with you Red Hare! Apparantly he wanted 'out' to do another series so a shock even to fellow actors to see him exit. I so wish it to be the last one but meanwhile what else is worth watching even in autumn line up. The only other one is the last 7 episodes of final series of Mad Men and that might be in 2015?

I often watch the BBC4 continental thriller series that are on a Sat night. Must check what is there now that Wallander finished.

We have just come to the end of Fargo. Being terrified every week doesn't really sound like entertainment, however, I couldn't stop myself from watching it. Every week we sat down to watch it religiously asking the same question.........what on earth is going to happen tonight? Every week it said 'this is a true story', and himself and meself just looked at each other and shook our heads, no way could it be true........or......could it? Without giving away any spoilers, suffice it to say some of it I watched through my fingers! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Oh I have those recorded so will give 'em a try over the fallow months of summer, thanks. It was last summer that we got netflix, so that is also something to fill a dull night on the box but probably watch less now having trawled thru the material for suitable viewing. You can freeze membership but rates have increased for newbies so I suppose those that rejoin will be caught. Sorry drifting off topic! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

We have just come to the end of Fargo. Being terrified every week doesn't really sound like entertainment, however, I couldn't stop myself from watching it. Every week we sat down to watch it religiously asking the same question.........what on earth is going to happen tonight? Every week it said 'this is a true story', and himself and meself just looked at each other and shook our heads, no way could it be true........or......could it? Without giving away any spoilers, suffice it to say some of it I watched through my fingers! :eek:

I actually thought Fargo finished last week. I thought that was the end when Martin Freeman spotted Billy Bob Thornton in the hotel. It seemed like a decent ending to me. Couldn't believe when I saw a review of the last episode in the Herald tonight (complete with spoilers so now I know how it ended.)

All through the series of Fargo, I refused to read anything about it in newpapers, TV guide, online or anywhere else. I find modern reviewers have no iota of intelligence about their brief, and constantly give the game away (that means spoilers to you young 'uns!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

All through the series of Fargo, I refused to read anything about it in newpapers, TV guide, online or anywhere else. I find modern reviewers have no iota of intelligence about their brief, and constantly give the game away (that means spoilers to you young 'uns!).

Yer man Pat Stacey in the Herring is a particularly bad offender here. His "review" of any programme consists of about 80% of a recap of the plot,

Advertisement