Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

City & Utd Who will finish higher and why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Pro. F wrote: »
    Tevez.

A Tevez on form could well be the difference alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

rarnes1 wrote: »

Yeah, if he's his usual ratty self and refuses to come off the bench again he could poison the dressing room and be the difference in United winning the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Manchester Utd - I follow another team
    Pro. F wrote: »
    How have the sugar daddies made the PL more interesting?

Because it means there is actually a race, and a boring one horse one

United have never dominated the transfer and wages market like Chelsea and City have. United always had rivals close by spending similar amounts of money or more.

Ahem - before the yanks started bleeding the big fat red cash cow

2002 Rio signs for 30 million
    2004 Rooney signs for up to 27 million

I rather think you dominated the transfer market both those years, so you cannot tell me that was in anyway different from what chelsea or city have done - true it wasnt a whole squad in one go, but clearly the same intent was there. To pay stupid amounts of money for the best talent.
    And of course, that meant that the rest of the market was distorted and inflated

But as a chelsea fan, I'm well used to all the bleeding heart liberals from utd, arsenal and the rest who simply cry foul because we and city dared to spend a lot of cash in one go instead of following some mythical path of rightousness to the holy grail, doubtless expected to walk on hot coals and bring the head of medusa in some warped football odyssey

At least Fergie rolled up his sleeves and accepted it instead crying into his sunken french souffle like Wenger.

In fact, Utd should give us a bloody medal cos without us as a credible challenger he would doubtless given up the day job years ago! ;)

Oh yes the question at hand - Utd will do it I think - experience will count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,899 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Manchester Utd - I'm a Utd fan
    kryogen wrote: »
    United have never had a sugar daddy, never had a rich owner pumping millions/billions into the club.

I think Karma put it best a few months ago.
    karma_ wrote: »
    This is nonsense.

Back in the 80's, there was, big money for the day spent on players at united, in the days when £1M was a lot to be spending, see back in the late 80's united were in the doldrums, and had been for a long time, they had spent years under the shadow of Liverpool.

Enter J.P. McManus and John Magnier, who proceed to invest a fair sum into the club. Sure, they got their hands on the FA cup, but the league title eluded them. During this time they also hire Fergie, but still he finds it difficult in the beginning so another heavy round of investing begins. Still, it takes Fergie some time and he comes close to the sack, but, they finally get it right, with a core squad of admittedly great talent who were bought, they eventually win the title again in 92/93.

So please spare us the whole 'buying the title' line, it's long worn out and hypocritical.

Anyway, we did well to survive January to still be on top so we can win it. United have the easier run in though.

Either way it's another year of progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

He hasn't played in months now though. 12 games left. Can he get back to anywhere near his previous form in that few games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He hasn't played in months now though. 12 games left. Can he get back to anywhere near his previous form in that few games?

Maybe not for 90 minutes - certainly not to begin with anyway - but what an option to have on the bench ! The main issue is will his head be right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Manchester Utd - I'm a Utd fan
    greendom wrote: »
    Maybe not for 90 minutes - certainly not to begin with anyway - but what an option to have on the bench ! The main issue is will his head be right ?

That's never been an issue before. All last season he wanted to leave but was still top scorer. Off the field he's a liability but not on it.

I don't think we need him to win anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Manchester City - I follow another team
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    I think Karma put it best a few months ago.

Anyway, we did well to survive January to still be on top so we can win it. United have the easier run in though.

Either way it's another year of progress.

Well the Karma quote you included is very clearly inaccurate so I wouldn't rely too heavily on it mate!

How nobody pulled him up on it months ago is beyond me and its now become accepted fact!

That would piss ya off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

Tevez played 45 minutes today in a 3-1 loss, a spectator said he didn't look interested and didn't chase much, I hope that changes.

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    That's never been an issue before. All last season he wanted to leave but was still top scorer. Off the field he's a liability but not on it.

I don't think we need him to win anyway.

He has shown in the past that he needs a run of games to get going though, hopefully this form holds true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Liam O wrote: »
    United have a deeper squad than City. City have had an extremely poor bench quite a few times recently and if they had as many injuries as United would really be struggling. The only areas they are probably better equipped is in CM and debatably up front, don't think there is much between the strikeforces though.

You cannot be serious?

If they had as many injuries as United they'd struggle? Apart from Vidic, out of the general starting 11 what players have United had consistently injured? I know Young but he's easily replaceable. Remember City lost Toure, who has been one of their best players this season, for a couple of weeks. I'd consider himself, Kompany and Silva the only players that they can't afford to lose anyone else can be easily replaced which truly reflects their strength in depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

cgpg5 wrote: »
    You cannot be serious?

If they had as many injuries as United they'd struggle? Apart from Vidic, out of the general starting 11 what players have United had consistently injured? I know Young but he's easily replaceable. Remember City lost Toure, who has been one of their best players this season, for a couple of weeks. I'd consider himself, Kompany and Silva the only players that they can't afford to lose anyone else can be easily replaced which truly reflects their strength in depth.

Vidic, Valencia, Ferdinand, Cleverly, Smalling, Jones, Anderson, Fletcher, Park, Hernandez

All been at least a month on the sidelines. Don't think all of them would be in a full strength 11 (maybe 5-6 of them max) but they're all vital squad players

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Ahem - before the yanks started bleeding the big fat red cash cow

2002 Rio signs for 30 million
    2004 Rooney signs for up to 27 million

I rather think you dominated the transfer market both those years, so you cannot tell me that was in anyway different from what chelsea or city have done - true it wasnt a whole squad in one go, but clearly the same intent was there. To pay stupid amounts of money for the best talent.
    And of course, that meant that the rest of the market was distorted and inflated

Lol at you trying to pretend that two transfers looked at in isolation prove what United did was the same as Chelsea and City.

United are fourth in the PL spending table from 1992 to present behind City, Chelsea and Liverpool. And only in 98/99 and 01/02 were United the highest PL spenders. The idea that United ever dominated the market like City and Chelsea have is laughable. (All info from Transfer League)

And have you got any answer to my earlier question yet? How have the sugar daddies made the PL more interesting?

oconnon9 wrote: »
    Vidic, Valencia, Ferdinand, Cleverly, Smalling, Jones, Anderson, Fletcher, Park, Hernandez

All been at least a month on the sidelines. Don't think all of them would be in a full strength 11 (maybe 5-6 of them max) but they're all vital squad players

I said Vidic and only Ferdinand/Smalling, Jones and Valencia I'd consider starting 11 and none a loss at all really.

I said Vidic and only Ferdinand/Smalling, Jones and Valencia I'd consider starting 11 and none a loss at all really.

Cleverley and Anderson were the two starting CMs at the beginning of the season when the team was passing the ball best. And saying that Rio, Smalling, Jones and Valencia aren't a loss is nonsense. They are all more or less first team players so by definition they are a loss. Add that to the fact there have been plenty of other injuries to compound the loss.

United have been plagued this season with injuries. City missing Toure for a few weeks does not balance that out.

You consider none a loss......

Well your wrong there so arent you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Vidic - Out for most of the season

Ferdinand - Missed over a month

Jones - Missed a few of games

Smalling - Missed around 7 weeks

Evans - Missed a couple of weeks.

Rafael - Missed over 3 months

Fabio - Missed around 6 weeks

Fletcher - Out for most of the season

Cleverley - Missed 4 months

Anderson - Missed 4 months

Young - Missed around 7 weeks

Valencia - Missed around 6 weeks.

Hernandez - Missed around 6 weeks.

Welbeck - Missed around 6 weeks.

Rooney - Missed around 3 weeks.

Nani - Missed a month.

Lindegaard - Missed a month.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

While City are obviously in the stronger position at the moment, I think that United's experience will win it for them. United always get better towards the end of the season and I think if City slip up at all United will be champions. If they don't, it will all come down to the game at Eastlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I have a feeling that both sides will drop more points than anyone would imagine .

I reckon it will come down to whoever drops the most will surrender the title .
    I know that sounds so obvious but what I'm saying is there will be lots of twists and turns with both sides dropping more points than anyone guessed.

• Advertisement

Thats what Fergie always says, there will be points dropped, the trick is to try to make sure you drop less points then your rivals.

You consider none a loss......

Well your wrong there so arent you.

Ferdinand is a has-been, the most over-rated centre half of the PL era, Valencia can be easily replaced by Park/Young and similarly Jones by Rafael (presuming Jones would be United's choice at right-back if their strongest team was out). Vidic a massive loss I agree. Its just a case of United fans getting their excuses in really, if they had their full strength 11 (bar Vidic) all season they'd still be second, I admit though that the loss of Vidic has had a major baring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Ferdinand is a has-been, the most over-rated centre half of the PL era, Valencia can be easily replaced by Park/Young and similarly Jones by Rafael (presuming Jones would be United's choice at right-back if their strongest team was out). Vidic a massive loss I agree. Its just a case of United fans getting their excuses in really, if they had their full strength 11 (bar Vidic) all season they'd still be second, I admit though that the loss of Vidic has had a major baring.

Valencia is in his best form since he joined united. He should be a shoe-in for team of the season

Ferdinand is not the over rated centre half of the premier league era, rather silly statement. He is definitely a loss when not available

Valencia can be easily replaced by Park/Young? You obviously don't actually watch any matches. this is also a ridiculous comment to make.

I'll skip the Jones/Raf one cause in light of your opinion on Valencia

Vidic, you now accept is a loss, great! nice of you to acknowledge that.

Nobody is just getting their excuses ready if we dont win the league, the fact of the matter is that even with the horrendous list of injuries the club have had this year (and last year and the year before) the team would still be top of the table if they had just beaten Blackburn at home, beaten Newcastle at home, beaten Necastle away!

all three of those were games the team should have won, you now accept Vidic being a major loss, but contend that even if he was fit the team would still be second, all you have to do is look at the number of goals conceded from set pieces and aerially, which doesnt happen when Vidic is in the centre of defence to see that with Vidic we more then likely would have won 2 out of 3 of those games at least. if we had won 1 of those games we would be top. To claim that he would have made no difference to any of those games is unrealistic.

Two,the team would be top by 4 points, all of them United would have a 7 point lead!

That is neither here or there really, the point is that even with the squad being decimated this season United are still within touching distance of City.

This is quite an achievement.

Edit: re read your post again, I see that you said full strength bar Vidic, which kinda means not full strength, so anyway you have come back from your original position that none of the injuries are a big loss. Guess I should just be happy with that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Ferdinand is not the over rated centre half of the premier league era, rather silly statement. He is definitely a loss when not available

Valencia can be easily replaced by Park/Young? You obviously don't actually watch any matches. this is also a ridiculous comment to make.

Nobody is just getting their excuses ready if we dont win the league, the fact of the matter is that even with the horrendous list of injuries the club have had this year (and last year and the year before) the team would still be top of the table if they had just beaten Blackburn at home, beaten Newcastle at home, beaten Necastle away!

all three of those were games the team should have won, you now accept Vidic being a major loss, but contend that even if he was fit the team would still be second, all you have to do is look at the number of goals conceded from set pieces and aerially, which doesnt happen when Vidic is in the centre of defence to see that with Vidic we more then likely would have won 2 out of 3 of those games at least. if we had won 1 of those games we would be top. To claim that he would have made no difference to any of those games is unrealistic.

Two,the team would be top by 4 points, all of them United would have a 7 point lead!

That is neither here or there really, the point is that even with the squad being decimated this season United are still within touching distance of City.

Edit: re read your post again, I see that you said full strength bar Vidic, which kinda means not full strength, so anyway you have come back from your original position that none of the injuries are a big loss. Guess I should just be happy with that much

But if City or any other team in the league had just won the games they lost they would also be top of the league. Nice argument.:rolleyes:

I never said Vidic wasn't a loss don't be putting words in my mouth. In all my posts I have stated that he's been a huge loss. And please kindly read my post again I said that if United had their strongest 11 (BAR VIDIC) that they'd still be second. "Bar Vidic" being the key term here. I then stated that the loss of Vidic has had a major baring, meaning that I believe they could easily be top if they still had him.

• Advertisement

@Kryogen nice of you to re-read the post

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread, still think City will win but the clash in the Etihad will be huge! I think that the last minute winner by Giggs on Sunday could yet prove to be crucial, coming out of Carrow Road with a draw would have been a major setback for United. I expect Utd to get three points on Sunday in WHL though.

Young's form has been very up and down and Park has absolutely zero ability to beat a fullback. They are not anything like easy replacements for Valencia. That statement shows that you haven't watched those players this season.

You might like to think that Jones was easily replaced by Rafael, but if you give it the slightest thought you would see that it's not that simple. The truth is that so many of the defensive injuries have hit at the same time that Carrick had to play in central defence at one point. And the defensive injuries have been happening so persistently over the season that the back line has chopped and changed constantly which is very disruptive.

All this will not be an excuse if United lose the league because excuses become irrelevant at that point, but to deny that United have been coping very well with a shocking run of injuries is to make yourself look like a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The notion that if City dont win the league its progress is baffling to be honest. This is the easiest title to win for a long time. Chelsea are poor and im sure they will invest alot of money and be a big force next season. Arsenal are poor this season. Spurs are a few decent signings away from being title challengers and i can see them attracting big players this summer. While United are missing Vidic and have a young squad who will only get better and a world class centre midfield signing will make a huge difference to their squad. I really think its just a massive failure for City if they dont win the league this season and it will be tougher next season. Im a United fan and people will say its excuses but im suprised we are only 2 points off City considering the way the season has panned out. Im still hopeful we can win the league. But City fans should really be disappointed if they dont win the league.

Firstly United are going through transition just look at the amount of injuries how many times has the same back 4 played together all season.

Without Vidic United are conceding alot more goals from set pieces they are not the same without him.

De Gea is getting used to the league and will learn from his errors just like Reina did and be alot better next season.

United are weak in the centre of the park and a world class signing next summer will make a massive difference.

United are going through transition Fergie is building a young team as he cant compete with City financially. He done it when Chelsea started spending and it looks like he is going to build up a young team again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

^^^No title is easy to win, especially not this one, it's the strongest the league has been probably ever and a great achievement to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Nuts102 wrote: »
    The notion that if City dont win the league its progress is baffling to be honest. This is the easiest title to win for a long time.

It's no surprise that this is coming from a Utd fan. It really is just a poor excuse to try and diminish their neighbours 'buying' the league.

Utd are on for finishing 10 pts higher than they did last season. Their closest rivals were Chelsea and City, both 9 pts behind, and Arsenal, 12 pts off.

This year City have rivals Utd, 2 pts behind, Spurs 10 pts, and Arsenal and Chelsea 17 pts off.

That would mean City could improve on last year by 21 pts, Spurs by 16 pts and Utd by 9 pts. Arsenal would by 1 pt down on last year and Chelsea down 4 pts.

So how do you make out that this is an easier title to win than last years??? Whoever wins will defo have to beat Utd's 80 pts. Chelsea could be down on last years performance but Spurs have stormed up this year, as have City. Arsenal are there or there abouts as last year.

This has been a far better season than previous IMO, and whoever wins it is thouroghly deserving. It will be even better next year, competition wise hopefully, with Arsenal and Chelsea improving, and hopefully Liverpool as well. 6 Title challengers?

If City don't win the league but improve on last years pt total by nearly 20 pts, how is that disappointing??

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »

But if City or any other team in the league had just won the games they lost they would also be top of the league. Nice argument.:rolleyes:

Big well done to you for missing the point. Congrats sir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

City because, they've got a bigger/better squad with quality all round.
    I'm not going to argue about the money side of thing's between the two clubs because it doesn't bother me in the slightest. But Manchester City definitely have the better team on paper. Silva, Aguero, Y.Toure, Nasri, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Liam O wrote: »
    ^^^No title is easy to win, especially not this one, it's the strongest the league has been probably ever and a great achievement to win.

Most even. It's no where near as strong as a few years ago.

I think both Manchester clubs will go into meltdown and Liverpool will romp home to complete a domestic treble.

Our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Whoever wins the next Manchester Derby, I would say.

But the return of Tevez might cause some trouble, just a gut feeling there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think both Manchester clubs will go into meltdown and Liverpool will romp home to complete a domestic treble.

Our year.

And then you'll wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

If United beat Spurs this weekend, they'll probably win it, the remaining 11 games with the exception of City are handy enough, City on the other hand, have some very hard games coming up.

J. Marston wrote: »
    And then you'll wake up.

I'm wide awake and deadly serious.

I think if City win it, they will go on and dominate for years.
    Once they have that know how to get over the line.
    They have the cash to keep buying whilst Utd think too small with their buys and are a fading force, relying on the older generation wo get them through games.
    Utd just cant\wont afford to buy todays superstars and the english replacements they do buy are a a world apart
    If Chelsea buy wisely they will be Citys only challengers
    Cash rich clubs will rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The league is competitive its not often you have a pretty tightly packed group arguing about the top 4 places in March.

• Advertisement

Cash rich clubs have always ruled. If Liverpool and Utd spend wisely too they are going to be challenging as well. Silly to think Utd and Liverpool are going to disappear. They are among the richest clubs in the world.

They have the cash to keep buying whilst Utd think too small with their buys and are a fading force, relying on the older generation wo get them through games.
    Utd just cant\wont afford to buy todays superstars and the english replacements they do buy are a a world apart

Chelsea??? they need about 10 new players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sgt Pepper 64 appears not to have heard of the Fair Play Rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I think your in for a surprise come the next transfer window .

The past January transfer window was so quiet that it spoke a thousand words .

Clubs (super rich or not ) are starting to respect the UFFP rules as they now its coming and coming strong .

I honestly cant see a marquee club ever getting kicked from say the CL for not complying , but the big clubs really showed their respect for the forthcoming new rules by their inactivity in the transfer window to staty within the new financial boundaries .

I would say Platini was delighted when the window closed to see how clubs behaved themselves at the first hurdle .

So to say
    might soon be outdated and a little premature .

only time will tell.

mike65 wrote: »
    Sgt Pepper 64 appears not to have heard of the Fair Play Rules.

Both clubs are well advanced on dealing with that and the rules are quite easy to get around

mixednuts wrote: »
    I think your in for a surprise come the next transfer window .

The past January transfer window was so quiet that it spoke a thousand words .

Clubs (super rich or not ) are starting to respect the FFFP rules as they now its coming and coming strong .

I honestly cant see a marquee club ever getting kicked from say the CL for not complying , but the big clubs really showed their respect for the forthcoming new rules by their inactivity in the transfer window to staty within the new financial boundaries .

I would say Platini was delighted when the window closed to see how clubs behaved themselves at the first hurdle .

So to say might soon be outdated and a little premature .

The only reason Chelsea were quiet was because we had big (30 million) bids rejected. Lucas, di angel, hazard, and a good few others were all bid for. Watch this summer - The Project - 100 million plus will be spent, plus releasing big earners like drogba etc plus naming rights will help.

They have already spent well over 100 million in the last year, wasted for the most part with the exception of Mata and the Young Keeper they bought.. Also, who is the say the like of Hazard, Lucas etc will be a success, at least City have bought very well for the most part with Toure, Aguero, Silva, Balotelli, even Nasri..

Cash rich clubs have always ruled. If Liverpool and Utd spend wisely too they are going to be challenging as well. Silly to think Utd and Liverpool are going to disappear. They are among the richest clubs in the world.

I didnt say they would disappear!
    Liverpool would have spend some serious cash just to into the top four, never mind challenge and they are tightly controlled by their new owners

Utd have just done a big splurge and doubt they spend that sort of money again very soon.
    Going out so early of the CL will damage their finances as much as not winning anything. Only Fergie keeps that team going and I fear them when he leaves which could be sooner rather than later.
    If next season goes like this one, he will be gone alright

bullvine wrote: »
    They have already spent well over 100 million in the last year, wasted for the most part with the exception of Mata and the Young Keeper they bought.. Also, who is the say the like of Hazard, Lucas etc will be a success, at least City have bought very well for the most part with Toure, Aguero, Silva, Balotelli, even Nasri..

Wasted? We bought for the future - wait till you see the likes of lucas piazon etc

• Advertisement

I didnt say they would disappear!
    Liverpool would have spend some serious cash just to into the top four, never mind challenge and they are tightly controlled by their new owners

Utd have just done a big splurge and doubt they spend that sort of money again very soon.
    Going out so early of the CL will damage their finances as much as not winning anything. Only Fergie keeps that team going and I fear them when he leaves which could be sooner rather than later.
    If next season goes like this one, he will be gone alright

You may not have said disappear but you said they wouldn't be challenging. I would take that to mean the same thing.

Liverpool have spent more than City, since Daglish took over. They have picked up their first cup in 6 years, in for another and a 4th place finish. That's return on your investment, so of course there will be more money made available.

It has shown that the CL exit has hurt Utds finances, but only in competition to Madrid and Barca, not within the EPL. If they don't win the league, they will spend. They bought youth this year because Fergie was of the opinion if it's not broke don't fix it. They won the league last year.

You are putting Chelsea above them why? They have splashed the cash as well and they are the only one of the three discussed that have gone backwards!

Advertisement