Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1TB USB-Powered 2.5" Portable Hard Drive

Options
  • 02-03-2011 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭

£69.99 @ amazon

**Yes, before you ask it does NOT require an external power brick**

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ooooh, very tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Does the free postage (super saver delivery) include Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭HHH

Bought one of these before xmas. Great little Harddrive. Comes with a leather sleeve too. I got super saver delivery on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

neacy69 wrote: »
    Does the free postage (super saver delivery) include Ireland?

Yep, it does - it's free delivery to Ireland as well for lot of things these days, not just the UK. I got one of these last month and it was £10 dearer :(. Great little drive though and like HHH said, comes with a sleeve and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Cool, thanks for posting!

Amazon offer "For just £15.99 more, protect your purchase from drops, spills, mechanical and electrical failures." That would be a really good idea, but it's kind of ruining the idea of getting this at a low price now, lol. Are these types of protection worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 DF-Artane

This insurance is over priced and hence not great value for money.

Over priced because the probability of an electronic device failing is greatest just after use and just before its would be expected to fail at the end of its natural days. It is referred to as the bath tub curve and is why all products sold come with a 12 month guarantee.

The product is sold in stores as it is very lucrative to the stores who receive generous commissions.

Another factor that makes product insurance over sold is the fact that many people will have accidental damage cover under their house hold insurance and / or possibly as an add on to their credit card where you may have x number of days of 'free' insurance from the date of purchase of the product purchased using the card.

Like all insurance it is worth it if you could not afford to suffer the loss. The probability of loss is however low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

iOmega products come with a 3 year manufacturer guarantee in europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Good deal. I was looking for pretty much exactly this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Can people please post the price in the title

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Tallon wrote: »
    Can people please post the price in the title

If your browser uses javascript you can just hover over the link.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

/\/ollog wrote: »
    If your browser uses javascript you can just hover over the link.
    Would it not just be easier to put the price in the title?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I have one of these also, very compact and the case is a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Nedved85 wrote: »

thats nice - have a couple of the 500GB version, but this is well priced & in my experience very reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Good price, works out around 86 eur in total. I was very close to buying one of these (different brand...WD I think) in Reads for 99.99, glad I didn't now!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

degsie wrote: »
    £69.99 @ amazon

**Yes, before you ask it does NOT require an external power brick**

£74.99 now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Peats do a 1Tb Prestige for €89 over the counter which isn't too bad now that the price has gone back up.

I have one and while its a bit chunkier than the usual it seems to be due to the case being solid and supposedly having drop protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

I bought one of these a couple of months ago and its a very good drive. I get about 20MBps copying to it.

I also have a USB 3.0 WD 500GB drive and I'm getting approx 40MBps copying to it. Sometimes up to 85MBps.

(All above transfer rates are from Windows).

A TB is a lot of data and if you plan use it regularly and copy big files it might be worth investing in a USB 3.0 device.

Just my 2 cents.

Advertisement