Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

That fancy youtube thing! - Music for Oulwans 'n' Oulfellas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I wanted to send a musical gift to Brens on his recent good medical result. We saw this guy live in Dublin many years ago and we loved him, serious musicians know him well. Hope you enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owNFDPIPoSk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGmTqlsUtRg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXtT62YT3Rc

Many thanks for these - they will be in my car wurless tomorrow! Mr. Keaggy is on my list of players I listen to when I think I'm playing well. Soon puts me back in my place!

And, although he's doing the impossible, he has brain space left over to look like he's enjoying the music. (Hint at those Irish traditional players who always look either bored stiff or resentful of having to play.)

Saw him live in Dallas many years ago at a trade show! Too many yeehaw-heads there so he didn't get the attention he deserved, despite him performing a lot of gospel type songs. He's a master of hammer-ons and strange string tunings so it's difficult to copy his playing style, though Martin Simpson comes close.

Thanks again.

Slightly off topic - apologies - but I wondered where yiz stood on the latest technology debate, i.e. vinyl records versus everything else.

A vinyl-head has just given me an ear-bashing about the "superiority" of records over all other media. Won't hear of tape or CDs and laughs at MP3s. For me, vinyl means lots of clicking noises, then "Thummmmm", then cracklecracklecracklecracle, then music ruined by cracklecracklecracklecracle, then silence, some more clicking noises before silence breaks out again.

There are dozens of records in my attic, a nice old turntable and huge speakers but I couldn't be bothered using them. I've replaced most of the vinyl tracks with youtube I mean digital versions and I still regularly hear magical little flourishes, even on MP3, that vinyl kept hidden.

I remember similar stuff when FM radio arrived. "Oh, you can't beat music from the Medium Wave."

Are these vinyl-heads right? Is the sound from vinyl superior? What does "superior" mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was, in my youth, given a copy of the Beatles White Album when it first came out, sadly it didn't last long - problem with vinyl. I listened and enjoyed. Many, many years later I listened to some of the music from it on Youtube and was absolutely amazed at the depth of sound I was hearing, a whole different experience. So I am with you there Brens.

looksee wrote: »
    I was, in my youth, given a copy of the Beatles White Album when it first came out, sadly it didn't last long - problem with vinyl. I listened and enjoyed. Many, many years later I listened to some of the music from it on Youtube and was absolutely amazed at the depth of sound I was hearing, a whole different experience. So I am with you there Brens.

Phew! I thought I was alone. There are lots of twiddley bits on the CD and MP3 versions of Beatles albums that were hidden by vinyl.

Nowadays, the old, dusty, delicate stylus has been replaced by a laser, thereby (pretty-well) eliminating one source of loss of detail. Amplifying digital signals is easy so perhaps the vinyl-heads have an impression of inferiority because many CD / MP3 players are supplied with poor speakers.

I took some care to attach the best speakers I could to my set-up. I care not a jot about the mockery and complaints bestowed on me simply because they're huge dust collectors - they do their job very well so be off with you, you, you rascals you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I don't believe vinyl is 'superior', but it has what you might call a cult following by some people. I suppose its like Brens who loves his older cars, with all the mechanical bits, rather than the computer run autos we are sold today. I don't think the vinyl-heads should berate anyone for preferring modern technology, after all something will replace that in a few years time and then we will be saying our cd's and mp3's were much superior! Har har, what goes round comes round. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Both analog and digital systems have pros and cons. Wiki provides some pointers without demonising one side or the other.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_analog_and_digital_recording
    Truth is that if you want quality you have to spend money on it irrespective of which side of the analog/digital fence you sit. You get what you pay for.
    If I were pushed for an answer I would say that euro for euro vinyl is the more pleasing choice but I'm notoriously oldschool.
    Best solution is to use both...or just support live music. :cool:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

This thread went fierce serious

Anyway, in the name of a bit a nostalgia anyone not remember this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENblHOxi1c4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Here is an oldie for you to smile to:

This was a protest song about decimal currency when it first became legal tender in UK:

• Advertisement

Remember this?

Back when I was in the RAF I really liked this for some reason, (I still do)

One more post for today. Maybe if I move my show to a Saturday morning instead of an evening I could use this as a theme song? NAAAH! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I have been a fan of Cohen since the 60s but as I get older the significance of this one really hits home ...

About time this was resurrected I think.

Really old Slade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

But..but...none of those are OLD songs.

• Advertisement

But..but...none of those are OLD songs.

Just for you my friend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Going by my birth cert, I would not be classed as an O/O, but would be classed as one by my music taste.

This always gets stuck in my head.

Great, Ted. It's probably still being sung at the Grand Ole Opry as we speak! They don't seem to age those C/W songs! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭cml387

Jebus, old Slade songs... I always liked this one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Heard this on the radio yesterday, a song I've always loved. I have a difficult time deciding which version I like best - this, Esther Philips or even the Grace Jones version so I decided to go with the original.

Ahh hell, here is Esther's version too.
    (Self indulgent OldGoat)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Ah yes, Bill Withers, isn't he a twin of Googie? And of course Esther is Leslie's sister! :D:D (joke, joke!!)
    Haven't heard that song before, but listening to them both, I have to lean toward Esther's version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Are you lot old enough to appreciate this ? :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRbUO9z15i0

A tad before my time. :p I would have been in 2nd class in primary school.

Even more poignant with the re-release for as a Hillsborough charity single.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

0lddog wrote: »
    Are you lot old enough to appreciate this ? :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRbUO9z15i0

I don't remember him, but some of the songs were familiar.

So I spent an enjoyable evening in his company .... thank you :D

Ted_YNWA wrote: »

Even more poignant with the re-release for as a Hillsborough charity single.

One city, one family Ted

When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now
    Will you still love me when I'm...................70!

Ahhh shucks, of course I will! Just tripped over this on Utoob. Not the best but it makes me somewhat sad, and wishing we were all teenagers again......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-ibQhuv-2Y

For Ted_YNWA

• Advertisement

For Ted_YNWA from a proud Bluenose

We''ll get you freed from listening to Z-Cars Rubes

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    We''ll get you freed from listening to Z-Cars Rubes

:eek::eek::eek:
    not ever :cool:

enjoy :)

Such FUN! SUCH FUN!! Not graceful, but so eye-wateringly mesmerising! Thanks Rube, my toes are still tapping. :D

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Such FUN! SUCH FUN!! Not graceful, but so eye-wateringly mesmerising! Thanks Rube, my toes are still tapping. :D

Mine are still in traction :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Ted you gol-durned whippersnapper! Get offa my lawn! :D

Eeden wrote:
    Ted you gol-durned whippersnapper! Get offa my lawn!

I might be younger than most on paper, but I am a Victor Meldrew at heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

One of my all time favourites,hope this works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

• Advertisement
Advertisement