Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Rotunda busy at the moment?

Options
  • 17-06-2008 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

My sister could go into labour any day now and she is going to be at the Rotunda. She is going public, mainly because she never registered for private or semi because she thought she'd be giving birth in the UK.
    I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has given birth in the Rotunda very recently or visited someone that did. Is it crazy busy in there or is it quiet?
    It's her first, so would I be right in thinking she'll be in there for 3 days whether it's busy or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Hi Mink

I'm going to register with the Rotunda too. Phone them and ask what the story is. This table from 2005 might help as it gives detailed statistics comparing the hospitals. The rotunda seems to have a nice high epidural use and a nice low episiotomy number when compared to the other Dublin hospitals. According to the Rotunda after a normal delivery your sister can expect to leave within 3 days. I hope all goes well for your sister but there's nothing can be done so probably best not to stress.

Grawns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Grand, thanks. I called them and it seems it's always pretty much full but probably won't have to wait more than an hour for bed when get there, especially if she's in active labour. We'll see how it goes!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i had my baby boy in the rotunda this time last year,i went public and they were very busy,i was seen immediately though and put on the monitor,then examined to be told babs was less than an hour from bein born,they brought me straight up to the delivery room,left me pretty much to it,didnt really intervene as it was too late for an epidural really anyway,i was glad though that they didnt push any pain relief on me and let me do exactly what i wanted and monitored things when needed but let nature take its course.they did rush me out of the delivery room a little bit as they needed the room cuz they were so busy,so was stitched then i had a shower then walked straight away to the ward all within half an hour of giving birth.they were good in there i have to say,they didnt get in the way although i could have done with a lil more help with the after care so i left hospital after 24 hours,they wanted to keep me in for 3 days as is the norm with your first birth but i begged them to let us go home,was gettin fed up of feeling trapped in the hospital and wantin my own bed and shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Thanks for that, I've forwarded it onto my sis. She went for a checkup today and she said it was absolutely chocka, pregnant women all over the gaff. She was probably the most heavily pregnant out of the lot so got seat preference! Definitely wish us luck as I'm her birth partner and I've not had kids! Yikes!

Advertisement