Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mould in Rented apartment!

Options
  • 21-11-2014 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I have q lot of mould in my bedroom of a small garage flat. Along top of one outside wall it's about a foot down covered in mould, extremely bad in corner and then all along adjoining wall under windowsill. The whole room smells damp, clothes etc rank. That we have actually moved our mattress into living room and now live as if we are in a bedsit.
    Told landlord and he cleaned it and said it's our fault as we havnt got oil heating. Also said it's from moisture from showers. So we just have to put up with it. It's growing back.
    There is no mould in bathroom or living room. There is a fan in bathroom when we use shower. We don't dry clothes in flat. There are cracks in bedroom wall. We used small blow heater which is sufficient to heat flat as can't afford oil yet.
    Do I have to accept his answer and just continue paying rent for half a flat!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,907 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Ring the PRTB. http://www.prtb.ie/ They will tell you where you stand on this. Sometimes the answers can be confusing here. Much simpler ringing the experts. Good luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

1. Some houses have mould because they are not adequately heated.
    2. Some houses have mould because they are not adequately ventilated.
    3. Some houses have mould because there is too much moisture being generated within the house.
    4. Most houses have mould due to some combination of the above.

Take your pick. From what you say, I would guess it is a combination of the 1 and 2 above (i.e. if you are not heating the place properly, then whatever ventilation is present cannot work properly)

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Would you think of trying a dehumidifer. Great for pulling excess moisture from the air and cost very little to run. Few threads on here about them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86844907

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Mould can spore and be very very detrimental to you health

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ShazConn

#UPDATE.....
    Had someone in to look at it. He said the shower wouldn't be causing it, it is coming through from the outside and that our window isn't sealed properly on inside or outside with some bits of sealing missing all together. And obviously us having heating on would hide the problem and slow the rate of growth down so this is why landlord is pushing that!!!
    What do I do now? Landlord not helpful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,907 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ShazConn wrote: »
    #UPDATE.....
    Had someone in to look at it. He said the shower wouldn't be causing it, it is coming through from the outside and that our window isn't sealed properly on inside or outside with some bits of sealing missing all together. And obviously us having heating on would hide the problem and slow the rate of growth down so this is why landlord is pushing that!!!
    What do I do now? Landlord not helpful!

http://www.prtb.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Mould doesn't come from the outside, it most often builds up due to condensation from warm water laden air hitting cold walls/ windows.

If the windows are letting in drafts, and not water, then that ventilation is actually helping keeping it at bay. We have very high levels of humidity here, showering, cooking, and just living in a space just adds to that, the only way to combat it is through ventilation & heating. A small electric heater just isn't going to cut it.

See here for tips to prevent mould build-up.

Advertisement