Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stove not heating room

Options
  • 16-11-2013 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

We have recently installed a boru fiachra 7kw insert stove in our home and have concerns re the lack of heat output in our sitting room. We are burning coal and wood and have heard/read reports of other people who have to open livingroom doors because of excessive heat. We close ours to try and benefit from heat.
    While lit the stove makes a whistling/windy noise. Is this normal.? We are burning black diamond polish coal and seasoned ash. It is not connected to a back boiler.
    The actual heat in the room is minimal and very disappointing. Are we doing anything wrong or is it a chimney related issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭wobbie10

Don't have the same make of stove as you but have an inset 7kw stove fitted in the living room, Inis inset stove.

Something is not working in your set up as you should have plenty of heat coming out of that stove.

When we have the stove going well it seriously bangs out the heat, no way you could keep the doors of living room closed.
    If we burn just stove coal "ecobrite" it gets crazy hot, I use wood most of the time as coal too hot at the current temps.

Did you install this stove yourself ?
    Sounds like it is not installed properly to me as you should have plenty of heat.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Thanks for the reply Wobbie. No we didn't install it ourselves. I guess we will have to contact the installer again. I suspect that all the heat is going up the chimney and not into the room. Perhaps there is too much of a draw on the chimney and that is causing the whistling noise when the stove is operating/burning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭SK76

Should be loads of heat. Is it burning the fuel fast? I usually let vent open fully at start to get it going, then turn off air and it settles down. It must be a n installation fault

Not crazy fast but not slow either. As i am unfamiliar with and relatively new to stoves i have no yardstick to measure burning speed to. I usually open vents at start also. Infact once lit i have tried every combination of top vent bottom vent open/half open etc but to no avail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Gest

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    We have recently installed a boru fiachra 7kw insert stove in our home and have concerns re the lack of heat output in our sitting room. We are burning coal and wood and have heard/read reports of other people who have to open livingroom doors because of excessive heat. We close ours to try and benefit from heat.
    While lit the stove makes a whistling/windy noise. Is this normal.? We are burning black diamond polish coal and seasoned ash. It is not connected to a back boiler.
    The actual heat in the room is minimal and very disappointing. Are we doing anything wrong or is it a chimney related issue?

I would say you should definitely call back the installer. I have the fiachra inset too since aug this year. There is some heat off it compared to the open fire. I have to open doors to let it out around the house. I burn mostly turf in it since I got it and its even giving good heat from the turf. Anytime I put in coal it gets too warm but I have good insulation which certainly helps.

How do you find it compared to your open fire before you got the inset?

Edit to say that there is no noise from our inset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Elsie15

I've also had the Fiachra Inset 7kw installed recently and am so disappointed with the heat output. I use a mixture of wood, turf, coal. I seem to spend most of my time refuelling stove and opening/closing/half opening the vents to get some heat. I was told by my installer that I'd have to open my living room door after 30 mins with the heat - I wish! I'm at my wits end. Any additional advice would be really appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 story

I have just had a 5KW insert stove installed and like the original post, I'm disappointed as the heat output is less than the heat generated by just using the original open fire place. I've tried to adjust controls the bottom 2 air controls and the secondary air control on top of the door. Neither combination makes a difference.

Very annoyed as I had heard these were great I'd need to open the living/dinning room doors. That's not possible. On the plus side it seems to give a steady burn rate, which is what I wanted but with the door closed the heat is nothing like the open fire grate. Its a Green 5KW insert fire stove. The install looked fine as I watched the installer do it, the stove looks air tight on the sides and top. The bottom has a few a few millimetres gap between the stove and the grate which may be the reason as last night I heard a whistling sound. It was windy so will have to monitor that.

All in first impression, not happy its sealed in with fire cement on sides and top where the edges meet the facia of the fireplace, so I'd imagine it would be a nightmare to remove it and check for install problem. Not sure what to do as it should have been hotter than the open fire not cooler.

Will check room temp tonight to see how hot the room gets.
    Perhaps the bottom line is I would have needed a 7Kw or more to heat both the living room and dining room. Maybe a free standing version should have been used. However based on the calculation's the KW required was 4.7 KW for both rooms and just under 3KW for the dining room. So I thought the 5kw would have definitely have been sufficient for the dinning room.

My wife is not pleased and I'm not impressed but don't want to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oh lads, ye have me worried now..... I'm having a stove fitted tomorrow, and was hoping it'd be the solution to all my problems (high ceilings, two rooms knocked into one, single-glazing, north facing).

It's a free-standing, as opposed to insert, but I hope to god it performs a bit better than the ones in this thread :eek:

Have you guys been back to the fitters to see if they can identify the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

This is my first time posting so hope Im doing this right.Ive signed up as I got the Fiachra 7kw installed on Saturday and we are getting no heat at all from it...I have tried all combinations with the vents and there is NO heat at all. I lit it today and closed the door in the room...I went out for 3 hrs but room cold when I came home.I am so frustrated at this stage and will return to the shop tomorrow but cannot figure out what the prob could be...hope to get some advise on here..Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 story

You should be seeing an improvement after 3 hours, to test my stove which is a 5KW Green insert stove I did the following.

I left the secondary air vent half way open, I left the 2 primary air vents at the base of the stove open.The room was about 20 with the radiator also on as the other heat source in the room.

I used a thermometer and the room was 26 degrees after it was on for about 2 hours. It maintained that level for 3 hours after I added the last fuel source.
    I used a combination of briquettes and smokeless coal.
    The room is approx 16 x 11 feet.

To answer "Colser" if you are getting no heat at all I would put in a thermometer in the room and ask the installer to come back and advise what's gone on. At least then you can show the temp and proof the heats going up the chimney and not being throw out into the room.
    If your not happy with his explanation, I'd go back to the supplier and get them to check it was installed correctly.

Is your stove a free standing or insert version?
    When its on does the cast iron get really hot to the touch? If i touch the sides or top of mine its red hot.
    Does the room have radiators, and what's the temp with just those on and not the stove and vice versa.
    What are the dimensions, is it a large space?
    This website provides a calculation to see if the stove output is right for the room size.

http://www.waterfordstanley.com/stanley-stoves/room-heat-calculator.aspx

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil for such a detailed reply...I am about to light stove now and installer is calling later to have a look...Its an insert stove and It is throwing out some heat now but not at all what we had hoped for..The room is big 16x17 ...I am keeping the door closed in the room (had hoped to leave them open and maybe heat kitchen a little also) ...someone has suggested a cowl as we are up high and its on a north facing wall..anyone that has called is agreeing with us...other family members have free standing stoves (cheaper and lower watt) there is no comparasion...theirs are fab to heat (smaller rooms but thats why i got the 7 kw)..hopefully we will sort something with the installer later...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Elsie15

Hi Colser

I was just wondering how you got on when the installer called to look at your stove. Did he solve the problem or give you any useful hints for improving the heat output?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Briany3

HeidiHeidi, please let us know how you get. I am thinking of putting a 7KW in my room. It is double room.28x13 x9.5 heigh.

Hope to hear from you.
    Brian .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Briany3 wrote: »
    HeidiHeidi, please let us know how you get. I am thinking of putting a 7KW in my room. It is double room.28x13 x9.5 heigh.

Hope to hear from you.
    Brian .

Hi Brian,

I'm still getting the hang of it - and there was all-out war between it and the smoke alarm for the first few days, but they seem to have made up and become friends lately - but it's the absolute business!!!

My room is 12x24x9 (ish, can't remember the exact figures) so sounds very similar to yours. The thing takes about 30 seconds to light (two twists of paper, three or four kindling sticks and off it goes), and once I get the heat of the actual stove up, I can turn it right down and a single briquette will burn for an hour or more. Being used to constantly poking at and feeding an open fire, it's a totally new experience to just stick in a log or briquette and LEAVE IT ALONE. But I'm learning that you have to.

For the moment i'm burning briquettes (some - they create a lot more ash) and some eco-logs that the installers gave me to try. They're great, and are by far the handiest from a storage point of view (I have very little room outside for log-piles) and create the least ash, so I can see me using those and maybe getting some actual logs for occasional use. I like the idea of using wood from a sustainability point of view.

There was an unmerciful pong of (non-toxic, or so I was informed :eek:) paint fumes off it for the first couple of burns (which I suspect was what offended the smoke-alarm so grievously - it didn't look or feel smoky at all), but that seems to have cured nicely now, and it's burning away no bother at all.

I haven't seriously tried the overnight burn yet, but last night I left it fully open burning almost-gone briquettes and this morning when I raked the ashes they were still red hot - so I can absolutely see the potential for a log and/or a few bits of coal keeping going all night no bother. (I'm not sure overnight burn is a feature of all stoves though - if that bit interests you you should make enquiries)

Best thing I ever did - how I wish I'd got it years ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

No body have mentioned here the amount of air that is able to get to the stove. This is very important.
    Perhaps if you open the room doors before lighting it perhaps you will find that you will not need to close them later.
    Not a lot of use opening the lower vents if the room is not allowing sufficient air in.
    Neither have you mentioned the size of you flue. This is very important also as different stoves have different requirements.
    It is only a ball of cast iron and will heat according to the fuel so the problem must be with air intake or the flue

• Company Representative Posts: 7 Verified rep Boru Stoves: Richard

Hi rpmcmurphy

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the Stove. If you want you can private message me your number and I will make sure someone contacts you about the issue you are having.

You can also give us a call on 0504 59033 where someone in the service department be happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Boru Stoves

Hi rpmcmurphy

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the Stove. If you want you can private message me your number and I will make sure someone contacts you about the issue you are having.

You can also give us a call on 0504 59033 where someone in the service department be happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Boru Stoves
    And will we all be told what the problem was/is so that we will be informed

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Briany3

Thank you very much for the information. I am looking forward to getting my stove.
    Briany

Just wondering if anyone has had any luck increasing heat output from their stoves..Ive tried changing the type of coal and blocks but no real difference..Thanks

Colser wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has had any luck increasing heat output from their stoves..Ive tried changing the type of coal and blocks but no real difference..Thanks
    I suppose mine is not just a stove it is a large solid fuel cooker used for heating 14 rads.
    I was burning polish coal but found it really did not last long enough.
    Now I use the small bags of coal as sold on offer by Supervalue to start the fire. The lumps are small and easy to light.
    When lighting I put in bord na mona black diamond premium stove fuel and on top of that I put some Cosy Glo nuggets.
    When lighting I top it off with the day befores cinders mixed with slack, mixed with water.
    That way I get all the rads on full heat for up to eight hours on one builders rubber bucket full of fuel.

• Advertisement

`Thanks timmy4u2...I think my problem isnt really a fuel problem as I am getting a nice fire from the coal and blocks...it would be throwing out great heat if i had an open fire(i would think) but the heat is not being thrown out and yet it must be going somewhere...Lining the chimney is an option but I dont think this will suddenly throw the heat out ....Im begining to think i should have opted for the non insert stove as it seems an insert isnt going to work in the room...seemingly all chimneys are different and this maybe the problem that the heat is going up the chimney...the stove has been checked and no fault found so that is not the issue..Im going to try the different coal over the weekend and hope that this may help.

`Thanks timmy4u2...I think my problem isnt really a fuel problem as I am getting a nice fire from the coal and blocks...it would be throwing out great heat if i had an open fire(i would think) but the heat is not being thrown out and yet it must be going somewhere...Lining the chimney is an option but I dont think this will suddenly throw the heat out ....Im begining to think i should have opted for the non insert stove as it seems an insert isnt going to work in the room...seemingly all chimneys are different and this maybe the problem that the heat is going up the chimney...the stove has been checked and no fault found so that is not the issue..Im going to try the different coal over the weekend and hope that this may help.
    You might need slow burning fuel as I use. It gives out some heat. The stove manufacturers should designate what size flue you need.
    I saw on a forum, and I think it was boards, a gadget that sits on top of the stove and the rising air operates a fan.

Are cosy glo nuggets ok in my type of stove I wonder? That sounds like what I need...The flue is the recommened one but I will research the gadget for the top of stove..Thanks you very much for taking the time to reply..I will let you know how i get on.....

Sorry for not updating sooner. I have found a slight improvement by using eco brite coal and letting it build up and burn for a few hours then use wood. But to be honest the heat still is very poor. The whistling noise is very loud at all times and we have yet to open the door of the room due to excessive heat.
    I can stand directly in front of the stove even though it has been on several hours without discomfort. I have been in other homes where the heat would be unbearable if you stood in front of their stove. It throws out heat with the door open but not without which leads me to think everything is going up the chimney. The room is not large by any means.

Are cosy glo nuggets ok in my type of stove I wonder? That sounds like what I need...The flue is the recommened one but I will research the gadget for the top of stove..Thanks you very much for taking the time to reply..I will let you know how i get on.....
    Cosyglo are for stoves but I find that because they are big they work better with the smaller ones underneath
    BTY my stove is now 26 years old:)

Hi rpmcmurphy...You have written exactly the same problem as I am having...I have spent hours in front of the stove feeling around for any bit of heat..i can put my hand within an inch of the stove even after the fire is lighting for hours and just a little heat that would have to be there from having a fire lighting but its not been thrown out if you know what I mean...I have tried to private message you to get a little more detail but Im not allowed as Im a new member...Can I ask you that if you open the top vent(thats meant to clean glass) does your fire take off and burn very very quickly as mine does ...also did you get your stove checked by someone...I described the area I am in earlier(up very high ect) would any of that be similar to your house? thanks

Hi rpmcmurphy...You have written exactly the same problem as I am having...I have spent hours in front of the stove feeling around for any bit of heat..i can put my hand within an inch of the stove even after the fire is lighting for hours and just a little heat that would have to be there from having a fire lighting but its not been thrown out if you know what I mean...I have tried to private message you to get a little more detail but Im not allowed as Im a new member...Can I ask you that if you open the top vent(thats meant to clean glass) does your fire take off and burn very very quickly as mine does ...also did you get your stove checked by someone...I described the area I am in earlier(up very high ect) would any of that be similar to your house? thanks
    When you open those vents it is in order for the fire to blaze up. That is the gasses burning having received more oxygen
    That may ask the question, are you getting enough air into the bottom of your stove.
    Perhaps your fuel is blocking off the grate. Too much fuel could be worse than too little also. Try a small fire for a night, stocking up bit by bit and see if the temp dropscor increases.
    I havev a boiler in my stove supplying14 rads and a shovel of the small coal thatcI start the fire with will have the water up to 60 from cold in less than ten minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Fine slack, mixed with water - how good is this idea (soot built up in flue/chimney) ?
    Fuel sure will last lot longer but wouldnt there be high risk for getting chimney in fire?

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    Fine slack, mixed with water - how good is this idea (soot built up in flue/chimney) ?
    Fuel sure will last lot longer but wouldnt there be high risk for getting chimney in fire?
    I have been using slack watered down for many years and I have never had a chimney problem.
    I mix the night before cinders in with it and put it on when the stove has the water up to proper heat.
    All I have to watch out for is the gasses exploding as slack can trap them.
    My stove has a vent on the door to prevent this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mick555

Hi
    I just had a boru fiachra 7kw insert stove installed, there is poor heat from the stove and there is whistling noise is coming from the chimney. Same symptoms as “rpmcmurphy” and “Colser”.
    I have a feeling the whistling noise is excessive draft, which is drawing the heat up the chimney ?
    Has anybody remedied the above problem ? or is the boru fiachra insert just a bad stove ?
    HELP !!!!

Advertisement