Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squandered money count

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Where To wrote: »
    Money spent by the general public in the last twenty years on booze, tobacco, tanning salons and designer clothes;

Untold billions.

You forgot the drugs..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

charlemont wrote: »
    You forgot the drugs..:D

Yeah but the thread is about waste, not about awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Maybe news reached them in early 2011!

Bord Plenala aren't a funding authority - they just deal with planning appeals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

The air force

The airforce is a glorified chauffeur corp.

For an air force to not have a single, not one, plane capable of firing a weapon is ridiculous.

Aenaes wrote: »
    Paying Presidential salary and pensions.

Or nowadays paying for secret pot'o'gold bunkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

CruelCoin wrote: »
    For an air force to not have a single, not one, plane capable of firing a weapon is ridiculous.

This is not true, but I agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

R.T.E

donvito99 wrote: »
    This is not true, but I agree with you.

Ok, let me correct myself.

The air force as stands is limited to ground attack in a very low altitude, perfect clear weather capability. Still ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Ok, let me correct myself.

The air force as stands is limited to ground attack in a very low altitude, perfect clear weather capability. Still ridiculous.

Crashing into stuff hardly counts as ground attack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Might not have been a government project, but the €4 million of Irish aid that ''went missing'' in Uganda is ridiculous.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/4m-in-irish-aid-goes-missing-in-uganda-3272574.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The airforce is a glorified chauffeur corp.

They're an Air Corps though not an Air Force. They do provide a good service in assisting the work of the Gardai and coast guards. They also assist the Navy by providing maritime patrols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

"THE PPARS (personnel, payroll and related systems) computer system used by the HSE was a disaster."
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ppars-fiasco-as-costs-hit-220m-1891230.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

They're an Air Corps though not an Air Force. They do provide a good service in assisting the work of the Gardai and coast guards. They also assist the Navy by providing maritime patrols.

I've always thought the Casa's should be absorbed into the Naval Service and be based at Shannon, and the Helicopters into the army. I don't really see a need for the PC-9's at all, though I am open to correction on that. Baldonnel could be closed down. The service they provide would surely be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Never happened. No UN peace keeping force would ever be deployed to an area where they would be faced by an enemy equipped with armour. You are right about a modern military requiring an anti tank capability, however Ireland will never ever be capable of fighting a modern war, thus the use of modern weapons is redundant. Again any country capable of transporting vehicles that require guided missiles to destroy to Ireland have already defeated us. The money would be better spent on the garda siochana or on fishery patrol vessels.

your forgetting the power on part of our island that could just drive down the m1 - no need for transporting them anywhere
    and then you over look trouble from inside - coup or civil war
    the notion that a army , even as small as ours does not need the javlin is a bit short sighted , and that is me being polite

you do know the target does not HAVE to be Armoured that they want to hit , can be a bunker - or a pick up truck full of head bangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Bord Plenala aren't a funding authority - they just deal with planning appeals.

My point is that if the plan hadn't been scrapped by that point, surely they were going to go ahead with regardless of the recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

In 2009 FAS opened a new training center in Mount Lucas, Co. Offaly...basically a bog road in the middle of nowhere, however this particular middle of nowhere just happened to be in Brian Cowen's constituency.

Total cost: €6.7m
    Total students trained:12
    Current Status: Closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

smash wrote: »
    County Donegal as a whole.... billions :pac:
    how so?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

how so?

If anything over the years Donegal compared to other counties probably had the least amount spent on it considering the state of its roads and standard of public transport, (no rail connection for instance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

If anything over the years Donegal compared to other counties probably had the least amount spent on it considering the state of its roads and standard of public transport, (no rail connection for instance)
    thats what I mean, theres not much going on up there but some beautiful scenery, some of which has been raped by holiday homes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

thats what I mean, theres not much going on up there but some beautiful scenery, some of which has been raped by holiday homes

I just 'liked' post #2 at the start to defuse it, there isn't much behind it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dem traffic lights that were up in leitrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

building the m50 twice over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Would the Irish Army ever come up against a tank?
    Absolutely, every time one of them sticks their head up into an attic when they're doing a nixer in their copious free-time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭davetherave

srsly78 wrote: »

Crashing into stuff hardly counts as ground attack.
    Could be picking this up way off the ball but that seems very poor taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

On a lighter note, anybody remember the millenium candles?
    A far more considerate waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

My point is that if the plan hadn't been scrapped by that point, surely they were going to go ahead with regardless of the recession.

The majority of the money had been spent by that stage. It takes years to get a scheme of that complexity to planning submission status. Getting the scheme through the formal planning process would not have been a significant additional spend in the context of the money already spent.
    I'd imagine that the decision was taken to get the planning permission approved and then wait and see what money would be available for construction in the future.
    The planning permission will be valid for 5 years from the date of the Bord Pleanal decision.

Could be picking this up way off the ball but that seems very poor taste.

I mentioned how the Irish Air Force lacks any meningfull ground attack capability, and he was running with the theme.

That said, the navy is also a waste of time.
    Apart from pretty blonds holding pistols incorrectly, it also lacks any meaningful capability.

Should the Irish fleet go up against any half decent fleet, the Irish fleet would be destroyed long before they could get their pea-shooter deck guns into range.

More waste to report :mad:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1219/dublin-castle-eu-presidency.html

Funny how Merkel & the EU wont intervene and complain about the money we ('The Pixie heads' :P) are spending on the EU presidency isn't it now? :rolleyes:

A €3 million refurbishment of facilities at Dublin Castle is near completion, ahead of Ireland's Presidency of the EU in 2013.
    The castle will be the headquarters for the EU Presidency for the first six months of the year.
    Overall €70 million is being spent on the Presidency compared to €110 million in 2004.
    A revamp of the building began last July.
    The Printworks at Dublin Castle was where the Mahon Tribunal held its public hearings. It was also the media centre during the Queen's visit and US President Barack Obama's visit.
    Around €24 million will be spent on running costs, accomodation, catering, transport, while €20 million will be spent on staffing in Ireland and in Brussels.
    Planning and preparation will cost €12 million, and cultural activities will cost €3 million.
    Over 15,000 delegates are due to come to Ireland for the EU Presidency. They can access a special website outlining events and providing helpful tips on how to pronounce Taoiseach, Oireachtas or garda.

Advertisement