Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Fat People be Heckled like smokers?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

yes they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

kjl wrote: »
    I don't know, I spend a lot of time on planes and I would take a smoker beside me over a fat person.

Also, the fat person should pay more for their ticket, as they use up more fuel, thus causing more air pollution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I find it difficult to believe that someone would abuse an overweight person in the gym, to their face I mean. There really is no bounds to wankerish behaviour is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lovesfatgirls

good luck heckling smokers and fat people on the street OP
    :)
    also spiderman

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Despite earlier points made in the thread: yeah, if you just abuse someone to their face (especially while they're in the gym - clearly working on improving themselves), then you're a wanker who's clearly miserable with the world and looking for someone to vent at to make themselves feel better. But the fact that they would do so is also a good indication that these people aren't worth listening to.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭Zer0

No, I don't hackle anyone, I'm not a doc or a physc.. it's their choice to do so. what I've learnt in life was that you can't change people, you can advise people but half the time they take it as a personal attack.. so I don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

marcsignal wrote: »
    Also, the fat person should pay more for their ticket, as they use up more fuel, thus causing more air pollution.
    ah thats actually a good idea, the government could tax them at 100 % on such charge and they won't be making anything extra. i take it your in favour of such charge because you believe prices might come down? doubt that would be the case, also i can't see such a charge being allowed within the EU but i could be wrong.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

ah thats actually a good idea, the government could tax them at 100 % on such charge and they won't be making anything extra. i take it your in favour of such charge because you believe prices might come down? doubt that would be the case, also i can't see such a charge being allowed within the EU but i could be wrong.

if my suitcase is 1kg overweight it costs me €20, I am tall so I require extra leg room and I have to pay €20, but fat people take up loads of space and weight and don't have to pay anything. I am genetically tall, fat people just stuffed their faces, how is this system fair?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

if my suitcase is 1kg overweight it costs me €20, I am tall so I require extra leg room and I have to pay €20, but fat people take up loads of space and weight and don't have to pay anything. I am genetically tall, fat people just stuffed their faces, how is this system fair?

I know for a fact that you clearly chose to be tall, lofty.

fat people just stuffed their faces
    oh? maybe some eat little but all the wrong things and don't exercise?
    how is this system fair?
    its very fair, you bring a case its extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

youi wrote: »
    So, for the past couple of years it has become socially acceptable to heckler smokers for there bad habit.

Why is it still taboo to not heckle fat people ? More of them die than smokers so it would seem.

I was out to eat a while ago and there was a smoker at the table and an obese person. I thought it was funny that one of my mates was giving out to the smoker telling them, "don't you see that you are killing yourself?", but my mate said nothing to the fat person...

Anyways..

How do you feel? Will it be another decade before it becomes ok to heckle fat people or will it never be ok?

*MODS INSERT A POLL PLEASE. Yes or No. Thanks*
    Maybe we should heckle Irish people who use American slang words :rolleyes:

Well tbh, without sounding 'anti-fat people' it makes perfect sense. Let's look at the facts in terms of a public health issue for a moment.

I'm a smoker, and I have no issue with regulations curtailing smoking, but, I'd like to see segregated areas, instead of a complete prohibition. Smoking will eventually disappear. Children and teenagers are no longer exposed to cig advertising, even at point of sale. Nor can they buy cigs without an ID saying they are over 18. That's a good thing.

The fact is, the big health issue facing young people right now is not lung cancer, it's diseases related to diet and obesity. The Govt spending on treating these diseases is astronomical and growing by the day. It will dwarf the spending on smoking related diseases in 20 years.

I'd like to see the anti-smoking nazis exercise the same vigour and energy they use, to bitch about smoking, into discouraging kids from eating shit food, and sitting in front of their playstations all day, for the good of the health of future generations.

Raise the price of a Happy Meal to 15Euro, and fcuk the corporations. It worked with the tobacco companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

How did we as a nation (civilisation?) get to the point where everyone feels free to whine about non-existent injustices that they must suffer through? 'Oh no, I'm treated differently from someone else. That's sooo unfair. Whah.' I'll try to get Mandela on the phone, maybe he can sympathise with your plight

To be honest, it's not the whinging that really gets to me but the determination to whinge about others. What business is it of yours that fat people pay extra on a plane? Will it mean that you pay less? Or will it somehow ease your mind knowing that others are being shafted as well?

I'd like to see the anti-smoking nazis exercise the same vigour and energy they use, to bitch about smoking, into discouraging kids from eating **** food, and sitting in front of their playstations all day, for the good of the health of future generations.
    something i wouldn't have a problem with either, however i doubt they will go up to strangers making comments like the OP would do, and rightly so. but would it work? maybe maybe not.
    Raise the price of a Happy Meal to 15Euro
    again, something i would agree with, something that would be proactive.

something i wouldn't have a problem with either, however i doubt they will go up to strangers making comments like the OP would do, and rightly so. but would it work? maybe maybe not.

again, something i would agree with, something that would be proactive.

It's funny, as a smoker, I've never been heckled, or even heard of a smoker being heckled. So if I'm honest, I haven't a clue what the OP is talking about.:confused:

I've been herded into smoking areas that look like, and are less comfortable than a yard in a rural Burma railway station, forced out of some pubs, on to the street like a leper, and seriously inconvenienced traveling on trains, aircraft, and in airports etc, but heckled ?? No, never happened to me once.

It wouldn't occur to me to heckle a fat person either, as it happens, not in a million years, and can't think of why anyone would.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

youi wrote: »
    Should Fat People be Heckled like smokers?

How about Boardsie's heckling obvious trolls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

It wouldn't occur to me to heckle a fat person either, as it happens, not in a million years, and can't think of why anyone would.

Most people wouldn't, in spite of what people may say on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Reekwind wrote: »
    How did we as a nation (civilisation?) get to the point where everyone feels free to whine about non-existent injustices that they must suffer through? 'Oh no, I'm treated differently from someone else. That's sooo unfair. Whah.' I'll try to get Mandela on the phone, maybe he can sympathise with your plight

To be honest, it's not the whinging that really gets to me but the determination to whinge about others. What business is it of yours that fat people pay extra on a plane? Will it mean that you pay less? Or will it somehow ease your mind knowing that others are being shafted as well?

No, I don't want them to pay more, but I don't want to have to pay more for something genetic rather than something self inflicted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Ah, you do have to admire your profound understanding of genetics.

What you have, my friend, is a genetic propensity to grow tall. An option in your genetic makeup, if you like.

For you to actually grow tall, your body needs the nutrients to build you up to your maximum height. Without those, you'd be average height or shorter.

So the reason you're tall rather than fat is that your genetic makeup converted food into height rather than girth.

But sure, being fat is the individual's "fault", being tall is genetic. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Maybe we can heckle the smokers more ; do ya remember the JR Fans!! That was a brilliantly evil ad!!! He whips out a portable fan when the smoker lights up & blows it all back into their eyes & face ; classic! Still laugh thinking about the wicked glint in his eye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm over weight and a smoker, come heckle me and see how it goes for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Some thing needs to be done quick.

Fat people are getting out of hand ;-)

For the first time more people are being killed by obesity than by not having enough to eat

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/world/123468/obesity-replaces-malnutrition-as-killer/

If you think its not a problem you are delusional...

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

cgarrad wrote: »
    Some thing needs to be done quick.

Fat people are getting out of hand ;-)

For the first time more people are being killed by obesity than by not having enough to eat

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/world/123468/obesity-replaces-malnutrition-as-killer/

If you think its not a problem you are delusional...

Jesus, if thats true that absolutely shocking, I dont know how to feel about it tbh. I have always thought the biggest shame of our era was that in this day and age people can still die from starvation.

But if its the case now that people are dying from over eating, or being fed foods that are bad for them, we have no hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

I have always noticed a weird thing, this might be me being over sensitive maybe, but people tend to give alot of grief to short people (at 5' 7'' I've heard it all) and its supposed to be taken in good banter, which in my defence I usually try to, but you can not say anything of the like to a fat person, suddenly you are being way out of line.

Shouldnt it be the other way, since you have some control over your weight, but little to none over your height.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I have always noticed a weird thing, this might be me being over sensitive maybe, but people tend to give alot of grief to short people (at 5' 7'' I've heard it all) and its supposed to be taken in good banter, which in my defence I usually try to, but you can not say anything of the like to a fat person, suddenly you are being way out of line.

Shouldnt it be the other way, since you have some control over your weight, but little to none over your height.

Platforms, my friend. Platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

As a tub of lard - 21 stone - I'm trying to understand what the justification for heckling fat people would be.

As far as I can make it, it's that they are a burden - in terms of cost - on society. The same rationale presumably applies to smokers.

But then, the biggest social and hospital cost of any group is drinkers. I'm 21 stone, but have never spent a day in hospital in my life. I'm not on any medication, I require no assistance. Just because you're fat, it doesn't necessarily follow that you're unhealthy. Many are, many aren't.

So if we're going to hector people, individually, for the perceived sins of their group, shouldn't we also apply it to drinkers (I say that as a recovered alcoholic). Drinkers account for most A&E admissions in night shifts, there are incredible social costs - police, ambulance, social work, rehab etc., etc. So why not heckle people with a pint in their hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Duck Soup wrote: »
    As a tub of lard - 21 stone - I'm trying to understand what the justification for heckling fat people would be.

As far as I can make it, it's that they are a burden - in terms of cost - on society. The same rationale presumably applies to smokers.

But then, the biggest social and hospital cost of any group is drinkers. I'm 21 stone, but have never spent a day in hospital in my life. I'm not on any medication, I require no assistance. Just because you're fat, it doesn't necessarily follow that you're unhealthy. Many are, many aren't.

So if we're going to hector people, individually, for the perceived sins of their group, shouldn't we also apply it to drinkers (I say that as a recovered alcoholic). Drinkers account for most A&E admissions in night shifts, there are incredible social costs - police, ambulance, social work, rehab etc., etc. So why not heckle people with a pint in their hand?

Exactly. Yes, obese people are a strain on our health system but the elephant in the room is alcohol, addiction to which ruins families, makes people homeless and destitute, is the cause of countless fights often leaving people with permanent scarring and can lead to murder, jail or suicide, but is alcohol treated with the caution it deserves? Not at all, you get a pat on the back every saturday night with the message of "Go get p!ssed". :rolleyes:

Advertisement