Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Two-tier

Options
  • 21-12-2012 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

Are we embedding a two tier society in Ireland, i.e older relative well off people, public services employees, workers in protected sectors of employment.. v.... younger less well paid people, new lower paid public servants, and less secure employment.... I use to the thing this argument was a bit spurious because in todays society almost every thing is cheaper cars, insurance, housing, household goods( washing machines, televisions ) holidays, travel, food its all cheaper, while petrol is dearer the cost of making a phone call has plummeted to almost nothing...as little as 25 years ago a television was a significant purchases and people saved to buy a washing machine today you can pick up a washing machine for 199 euro, so I don't know, but after seeing what they are trying to do with newly qualified nurses I have come down on the side of the argument that say we are going to end up with a two tire society.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's always been the same. Younger people are paid less while they learn their trade and gain experience and the more experience and practical knowledge they gain, the more desirable they are as employees and the higher a wage they can command.

The only issue I can really see is this Jobsbridge fiasco in which younger people are being taken advantage of, under the pretence of 'getting a foot in the door'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

When I was young I had no money. As I get older I (generally) become a bit better off financially.

Is this not the way it's supposed to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mariaalice wrote: »
    I have come down on the side of the argument that say we are going to end up with a two tire society.
    I really hope so. More people should be getting out on their bikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I am truly baffled by this. Students protesting about salary cuts to jobs they haven't gotten? Seriously!?!?

Shouldn't they be happy that the jobs were announced in the first place? :confused:

The sense of entitlement in this country makes me sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

young people no debt, older people lots of debt

probably the reasoning behind it maybe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement