Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IVCA race canceled this Sunday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

RobFowl wrote: »
    Just heard this and thought of this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c5fts7bj-so

Hope its not true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

thats a pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Where was it be be held, and why is it being cancelled?

up around summerhill

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Where was it be be held, and why is it being cancelled?

Batterstown/green sheds and email didn't say but have my suspicions ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Run a "training Spin" instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Are the problems spreading from Fingal to Meath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I'm done with road cycling. I'm now a mountainbiker. F&*% you all roadies, I'm hitting the trails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

This isn't good. Good few club leagues use various circuits out around that general area :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

This isn't good. Good few club leagues use various circuits out around that general area :(

Not any more they don't !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

very depressing. Sounds like things are going to get worse before they get better in respect to racing on open roads.

Here's hoping a solution can be found.

brasshead wrote: »
    very depressing. Sounds like things are going to get worse before they get better in respect to racing on open roads.

I'm not as optimistic as you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Velodrome ... the garda are just making it easier for their riders to become trackies ;)

Velodrome ... the garda are just making it easier for their riders to become trackies ;)

sssssshhhhhhh. Dont tell them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

RobFowl wrote: »
    Not any more they don't !

Think we still are, well we were still last I heard a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭brasshead

Maybe IVCA should book Mondello for a few races

Well, at least, Cycling Ireland can't be blamed for this.

I'm done with road cycling. I'm now a mountainbiker. F&*% you all roadies, I'm hitting the trails.

Now you'll just have to deal with Coillte. Best of luck with that.

brasshead wrote: »
    Maybe IVCA should book Mondello for a few races

Of Maybe the Phoenix Park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Of Maybe the Phoenix Park?

Unlikely, the OPW hasn't been too keen on bike racing in the park for some years now. Duathlons are allowed, but not road racing.

• Advertisement

QueensGael wrote: »
    Unlikely, the OPW hasn't been too keen on bike racing in the park for some years now. Duathlons are allowed, but not road racing.

Why? Health and Safety?

This Health and Safety S**te is getting out of hand! :mad:

Why? Health and Safety?

This Health and Safety S**te is getting out of hand! :mad:

They're concerned about overuse of the park, from what I heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Duathlons but only on poxy sh1tty new courses that do not require any real road closuures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

More the road closures and "what about the poor people that have to drive through the park"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Ireland is going the way of the UK, in that the move is towards getting rid of Open road racing altogether. Racing will only take place on closed roads (so only the top events) or in Mondello etc.

It seems that running events are welcomed but cyclists are to be shunned and moved off the roads.

Part of the blame for this has to lie in the fact that in many races the participants act as if they are on closed roads. CI/Race comms should have been stricter-sooner and handed out bans.

The recent reaction to having in race videos posted on youtube was to ensure that no videos were allowed, rather than dealing with the issue of racers breaking the rules.

In saying that, I don't believe that anything would have really helped, but might have delayed the inevitable. There is clearly an anti-cycling movement amongst many motorist, fuelled by the massive increase in the levels over the last few years and this is an area over which they can exert control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Part of the blame for this has to lie in the fact that in many races the participants act as if they are on closed roads. CI/Race comms should have been stricter-sooner and handed out bans.

The recent reaction to having in race videos posted on youtube was to ensure that no videos were allowed, rather than dealing with the issue of racers breaking the rules.

Anything to back up that claim or are you speculating?

I doubt the recent issues in Finglas which seem to be spreading are related to either of those claims. That's not to say they may contribute in the future but claiming the current situation is even partly due to these issues, is wrong, IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

Diarmuid wrote: »

I would back that up as I highlighted to CI, as others did and they had seen it but it wasnt a great reply I got.

anyway the situation in Fingal isn't associated to this its something that just mushroomed from an incident, there will be dark days ahead for RR if the vets are off.

Who will be cancelled next.......?

IMO a bike race in the park would result in less disruption then the current events that are run there.

IMO a bike race in the park would result in less disruption then the current events that are run there.

I don't disagree - I avoid the PP during events like Bloom where people will take you out in order to get at a bit of car parking

• Advertisement

Swordscc considered this as a possible circuit in the PP.

No diversions needed on Chesterfield ave. and both entrances to the park on the Chapelizod Rd are easily diverted....some day maybe..

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.3561132,-6.3246672/53.3488476,-6.3129871/53.3470346,-6.3295696/53.349289,-6.3338612/53.3558537,-6.3248339/@53.351966,-6.3348053,15z/am=t/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1

We need our cycling lobby to be akin to the IFA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Diarmuid wrote: »

I doubt the recent issues in Finglas which seem to be spreading are related to either of those claims. That's not to say they may contribute in the future but claiming the current situation is even partly due to these issues, is wrong, IMHO.

Which claim? That CI have reacted to the recent upload of videos from a race by insisting that UCI rules that ban them are upheld? Whilst that of course deals with the videos themselves it doesn't deal with the actions the videos were highlighting.

Or are you asking me to backup the claim that riders threat the roads as closed during a race. Anybody that has ever done any racing knows this to be true.

Par tof the reason for the cancellation is down to motorists and locals feeling put out by the race. Not abiding by the rules, effectively taking over the whole road rather than just one side only adds to this.

I'm not saying the decision is correct, or even fair, but it is a growing narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

If anyone would like to Join me on a YOUTH SPIN this Sat 28th March at 11am from North Street Business Park, Swords, just down from Carnegie Court Hotel. Doing laps of Corduff Circuit, (Last years Ben McKenna Circuit) were the problems with racing OUR roads started in 2012. Protect our sport for the future. All welcome, spread the word. Quiet protest and a chance to meet and chat to other racing Cyclists about our problems racing In Fingal and Meath.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,514 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

greenmat wrote: »
    Quiet protest
    :eek: ... never known you do anything quietly ...

Anyway, what I want to know is will I still get my 2 points for marshalling on Sunday:confused:

:)

greenmat wrote: »
    If anyone would like to Join me on a YOUTH SPIN this Sat 28th March at 11am from North Street Business Park, Swords, just down from Carnegie Court Hotel. Doing laps of Corduff Circuit, (Last years Ben McKenna Circuit) were the problems with racing OUR roads started in 2012. Protect our sport for the future. All welcome, spread the word. Quiet protest and a chance to meet and chat to other racing Cyclists about our problems racing In Fingal and Meath.

I should be there...(if I'm not dropped at the back of the airport again! :D )

DISCLAIMER: The Word "Dropped" doe not imply a "Race" in any shape or form!

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    :eek: ... never known you do anything quietly ...

Anyway, what I want to know is will I still get my 2 points for marshalling on Sunday:confused:

:)

you will be joint leader of the League so!

Inquitus wrote: »
    Are the problems spreading from Fingal to Meath?

what do you mean?

morana wrote: »
    what do you mean?

I mean is this an intervention of the Gardai in Meath based on the clarification of the RTA undertaken by Fingal CC and Balbriggan Gardai? i.e. have Gards in Meath adopted the same stance as those in Fingal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Par tof the reason for the cancellation is down to motorists and locals feeling put out by the race.

I think that's the claim Diarmuid was asking you to back. The cancellations seem to be entirely stemming from the Gardai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭wav1

I mean is this an intervention of the Gardai in Meath based on the clarification of the RTA undertaken by Fingal CC and Balbriggan Gardai? i.e. have Gards in Meath adopted the same stance as those in Fingal.
    More or less but not quite as bad[ish].They want road closures applied for..Our races in Drogheda[every inch of the circuit is in Meath] are going ahead inc the 3 stage Ras na N'og.Basically if there are not road closures they are not aiding or assisting any races..This we have accepted and are going to post anyway..Biggest issue is the use of our marshalls and how they approach motorists etc..Cant stop but can advise..If there are any issues post event garda said they will investigate and possibly prosecute marshall if necessary..After consultations with CI they have confirmed that they and their insurers would if necessary defend the marshall if they act in the correct manner..On this basis we are going ahead..What I would ask is this..if any of you out there care enough about whats happening,come along to our weekend,take on a hivis and flag and lets have marshalls everywhere as a stance of support in whats happening..Wav

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No diversions needed on Chesterfield ave. and both entrances to the park on the Chapelizod Rd are easily diverted....some day maybe..

https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.3561132,-6.3246672/53.3488476,-6.3129871/53.3470346,-6.3295696/53.349289,-6.3338612/53.3558537,-6.3248339/@53.351966,-6.3348053,15z/am=t/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1

Great little circuit. I did that a few times when the Road Club were running races in the Park. Duathlons are still given permission to use that circuit. Not sure why cycle races are any different from the OPW's point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

morana wrote: »
    We need our cycling lobby to be akin to the IFA!

Mass slow cycle through Dublin city centre as a protest with Gardai required to marshal it. Oh the irony!

Edit: Might not be ironic but you get my gist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

You'd need to provide access to the hospital on that circuit., I believe that's been the source of complaints in the past.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Just to be clear. Cycling Ireland did not decide to ban cameras on the back of recent footage. Cameras were never allowed in races.

Just to be clear. Cycling Ireland did not decide to ban cameras on the back of recent footage. Cameras were never allowed in races.

They decided to enforce a rule pro-actively that they never cared about in the past, which is much the same thing in terms of intent really.

The rule was always enforced. There have been cases where comms weren't aware people had cameras on their bikes until afterwards. But I've yet to hear of a comm intentionally turn a blind eye to it.

buffalo wrote: »
    You'd need to provide access to the hospital on that circuit., I believe that's been the source of complaints in the past.

If we ran the race and any profit made went to the hospital...that might change their mind..it would also reflect well on the OPW. ( assuming we actually made a profit)

The rule was always enforced. There have been cases where comms weren't aware people had cameras on their bikes until afterwards. But I've yet to hear of a comm intentionally turn a blind eye to it.

Maybe so, but I never heard a mention of cameras, from a Comm, until the week after that video went up.

Maybe so, but I never heard a mention of cameras, from a Comm, until the week after that video went up.

Maybe they felt they didn't need to issue a reminder. This year is the first year I've seen footage from onboard cameras at open races appear. It wasn't an issue before.

buffalo wrote: »

Access to the hospital doesn't appear to be an issue for duathlons using that circuit though

• Advertisement
Advertisement