Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 Giant carbon delays

• 05-02-2015 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I have a Giant ordered in my lbs, I was contacted today by email ,basically they forwarded an emailed they received from distribution company, tcr advance 1 and defy advance 1 there is huge delays because of problems in factories Holland and Taiwan, and big demand on these models, I ordered in November '14 and now status of order is week 29 '15.
    Original date was week 10 '15

Anybody hear anything about this ,or are you waiting or one of these to arrive.
    It's very disappointing news to hear when dying to see your new bus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Same happened me last year with another brand, think the problem is Irish market does not have the same buying power so we have to wait that little bit longer, I ordered my bike around same time as you in 2013 but got it in April 2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

I've ordered a tcr advanced 1 and originally it was week 8/15. I was in the shop a couple of weeks ago and I was told 11/15. Can't see myself waiting till week 29 though. Be time to be putting it away for the winter!! Think I'll give the shop a call today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

Week 29? Are they offering you a discount for the wait?
    I wouldn't be paying full price for a bike that's only a few months away from becoming last years model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Mis-interpreted the title there.

I kinda thought alright that the new "Giant Delay" might not be the best marketing move...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dantheman89

Same happened me when ordering TCR ADV 1 from cycle superstore. I got told week 10 initially. It changed last week to week 14 and now week 21.

The manager told me it is not unusual for Giant to NOT PRODUCE THE BIKE AT ALL as he has seen this on previous occasions when such a delay exists.

Personally, I am in a predicament as I have a BTW voucher that is in superstores name and being posted out as we speak.

I don't wish to wait that long for the bike but don't know my options with the voucher. At this stage I am thinking of buying a decent frame and doing a self build over the next few weeks.

In the meantime, I am liaising with Giant directly to get some answers!

• Advertisement

Bit of a disaster really. How long do you wait till you find out they are not producing it!?! Then more waiting if you order a different model. Ive my cycle to work scheme gone through already and the shop has my money!!

eoz wrote: »
    Bit of a disaster really. How long do you wait till you find out they are not producing it!?! Then more waiting if you order a different model. Ive my cycle to work scheme gone through already and the shop has my money!!

The most frustrating thing is that they can't tell me. Could be the week we are due to get them. In all honesty, if I got a further discount and certainty it would come I would wait as they are great value!

I have not given the voucher yet but don't know if I can change the name of the shop and get my deposit back. I will keep you posted! Going to look at some alternatives now on lunch!

The most frustrating thing is that they can't tell me. Could be the week we are due to get them. In all honesty, if I got a further discount and certainty it would come I would wait as they are great value!

I have not given the voucher yet but don't know if I can change the name of the shop and get my deposit back. I will keep you posted! Going to look at some alternatives now on lunch!

Maybe too good of value!!!! The pro version is 3k and is in stock in giant cork. Don't like the colours for a start. The tcr advanced is incredible value for the price.

Maybe too good of value!!!! The pro version is 3k and is in stock in giant cork. Don't like the colours for a start. The tcr advanced is incredible value for the price.

I think that's it. They allowed too many on pre order. Although a friend ordered the adv 2 2 weeks after me from giant and it arrived a few weeks ago.

I am thinking about a cervelo s3 frameset and ultegra groupset now but it's a big price jump!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

There is a defy advanced and a TCR in Kilmallock cycles last day I was in there.

He had 600-900 euro off last years propel and TCR advanced, not sue if he still has them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

I'm waiting on TCR and was in lbs last weekend and have been told a week or two. Will have to double check now as definitely not waiting another few months

nok2008 wrote: »
    I'm waiting on TCR and was in lbs last weekend and have been told a week or two. Will have to double check now as definitely not waiting another few months

Too right! I have been quite loyal to giant since I began cycling. From what I heard, they are awful to deal with. Don't think I would buy one again!

I was going to do the same and almost gave up on my bike last year, bikr shops hands were tied and even offered me the loan of a bike until mine came in but I was lucky I didn't need a it. In the end the bike shop gave me a load of Assos gear and other bits as compensation for the delay and also a few €'s off the bike as well

NBar wrote: »
    I was going to do the same and almost gave up on my bike last year, bikr shops hands were tied and even offered me the loan of a bike until mine came in but I was lucky I didn't need a it. In the end the bike shop gave me a load of Assos gear and other bits as compensation for the delay and also a few €'s off the bike as well

Superstore offered me the option to buy a second hand bike and refund me when the bike came. So if I came off it I would be stuck with it. I will definitely be looking for some compensation as they should be taking a share of the hit!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fireblade77

TCR Advance 1 and Defy Advance 1 models being the models most affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Here's a tweet from the owner of my lbs on this subject yesterday

https://twitter.com/AltitudeIreland/status/563025520045342720

lbs phoned me yesterday to apologise , he said he spoke to the distributor and explained to him that it's dealers that getting an ear full from customers . He asked me not to decide to cancel yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭disco1

I had heard there was Hugh demand for 2015 models. I searched the city for a defy advanced and was lucky to get in my size.

lbs phoned me yesterday to apologise , he said he spoke to the distributor and explained to him that it's dealers that getting an ear full from customers . He asked me not to decide to cancel yet.

Did he give you any indication as to when you can expect your bike??

Did he give you any indication as to when you can expect your bike??

not really, but just to let the dust settle after this announcement, and wait another few weeks. but it is on his schedule for week 29 '15

• Advertisement

Disco ,congrats on the new bike, beautiful.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You might want to get him to check his system again, I spoke to two different giant agents on sat, both said if I was to order one today, I'd be looking at week 23 for the TCR advanced 1. I have mine ordered since Nov with my lbs and my original date was week 7 but that has now been pushed back to week 15. I'm awaiting a guarantee about week 15 before I decide what to do.

No need, I have the print out of the giant distribution system from last week and that says week 29. well done with week 15 , but I doubt you'll be getting a guarantee on that, post a pic in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It definitely won't be week 15 I put in an order for a TCR Advanced 1 in November and was told week 19 at the earliest. I cancelled the order a couple of weeks ago as they said it'd be more like week 26 and that their hands were tied. Patience is not one of my virtues stunning looking bike apparently a very harsh ride though if you don't like that kind of thing.

Carbon fiber bikes the gold of the cycling world, what gets me is why bike manufacturers can't gauge the interest in their bikes from year to year and be able to supply the demand but all they want to do is fill the market with their lower range of models, anyone waiting I would say hang tough and you will be happy when you get to throw the leg over

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It definitely won't be week 15 I put in an order for a TCR Advanced 1 in November and was told week 19 at the earliest. I cancelled the order a couple of weeks ago as they said it'd be more like week 26 and that their hands were tied. Patience is not one of my virtues stunning looking bike apparently a very harsh ride though if you don't like that kind of thing.
    Don't think I will be that patient at week 26-29 you are nearly better off waiting for the 2016 model r looking for something else!

No need, I have the print out of the giant distribution system from last week and that says week 29. well done with week 15 , but I doubt you'll be getting a guarantee on that, post a pic in April.

I'm not gloating here, far from it, like you ive no idea when mine is due, I can only go by what my lbs tell me. I was merely only saying that if someone was to order one today, they would be looking at a delivery date of wk 23, so if I was you I'd be questioning your date of wk 29, that's all.

I'm not looking for the guarantee by the way, my lbs are, they don't want to be messing me around.

It's all to do with when the bike shops actually placed their orders, my lbs placed their orders for all their Giants for all of 2015 shortly after the giant trade show last August.

Don't think I will be that patient at week 26-29 you are nearly better off waiting for the 2016 model r looking for something else!

And it all begins again of waiting and waiting for the 2016 bike to be got

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    It's all to do with when the bike shops actually placed their orders, my lbs placed their orders for all their Giants for all of 2015 shortly after the giant trade show last August.

I hope you're right I got told a similar yarn in that they placed their order when the line was released and mine was 2 of 3 TCR advanced 1 bikes ordered.

I could've gotten the propel a lot quicker.

I think it's more to do with main land Europe getting looked after first as he hinted I might get one abroad quicker (I travel a lot with work.) He also said the actual frame was one they were selling at a much higher price point last year so it really was a bargain.

Anyway I'm sure come April I'll be seeing a pic of yours and wishing I hadn't cancelled my order.

The German website 4debike does not have them available till the 10th of June. I'm waiting for my lbs to get back to me to give me a better idea on arrival dates. Mine is the only one ordered from there. Won't be waiting for week 21

I'm not so sure about the main land Europe thing,

This delay is caused mainly by supply issues from both the factory in Holland and Taiwan and also high demand for these models,

Isn't the main reason for the delay that Giant spend the majority of their time making frames for other brands such as trek etc? Apparently they are like this every year and shops hate dealing with them! Doesn't help that they are better value this year has caused a spike in demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Actually it is more to do with the euro being so weak, rumour has it that all bikes (giant & specialized for sure) are going up by at least 10% if not up to 25%, order whilst you can!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Everyone on every bike forum seems to have a different opinion on the cause of the delay. Bottom line, there is a delay...but I heard from my mates 4th cousin whose neighbor works for Giant that it's the Illuminati.

• Advertisement

very funny Stevie ,obviously your not waiting on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

very funny Stevie ,obviously your not waiting on one.

Thankfully not. Just this morning I drove 2 hours to collect my bike as the courier wouldn't deliver for another 3 days due to me being in a "rural" area. I'd chew off my own hand if I were in yer shoes! :(

ah congrats, what did ya get, you know what we're like.

ya ditto on the rural area.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GAFF

I was looking at a Defy Advanced 1. The week before Xmas I was told Large ww16 XL ww23.
    I'm Large so ordered it. Got word that it will be in shop this week (ww7)....looks like there's fluctuation in ordering system....maybe to do with shops pre-ordering then cancelling prior to delivery.

I'm not so sure about the main land Europe thing,

This delay is caused mainly by supply issues from both the factory in Holland and Taiwan and also high demand for these models,

I honestly got tired of listening to the reasons so it got to the point of slap me once...

• Advertisement

No , it's nothing to do with shops cancelling orders.

No , it's nothing to do with shops cancelling orders.
    No but if shops pre-order (without a committed sale) then people will see long lead times, if the same shops cancel the "pre" order prior to delivery then a customer of another shop that got a long lead time initially will get their bike early...I assume that's what happened me.

No, the Defy advanced 1 size L has arrived in small numbers first .

One tcr advanced for sale size m on done deal if it suits anyone. So this has to mean some stock is arriving.

One tcr advanced for sale size m on done deal if it suits anyone. So this has to mean some stock is arriving.

My size and everything.. So tempting :eek:

My size and everything.. So tempting :eek:

Go for it. Lovely bike and looks like it will be a rare thing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

Can the world wide shortage of carbon fiber be attributed to the sudden increase of the mamil population:D

http://media.thehubsa.co.za/forum/uploads/monthly_10_2014/post-49768-0-34167300-1412152292.jpg

No, the Defy advanced 1 size L has arrived in small numbers first .
    Surely no numbers will arrive unless someone pre-order them.
    All I know is that the shop ordered a L (ww16) & XL (ww23) for me the week before xmas, as they were unsure of sizing. Before they cancelled the XL it arrived in shop 2 weeks ago.

What are the mechanical disc brakes like ?

Following on from previous, lbs rang me today to say that 3 tcrs advanced arrived today but of course none were in the sizes ordered. All medium. He was v apologetic and he was onto head in giant UK who said week 15/16 for large. Lbs says that they can't guarantee.
    A bit of a joke for a company this size. Obviously they knew months ago that they can't meet demand et. Etc. Basic bit of planning and customer service really especially as bike was originally ordered in mid September.
    Must call into lbs tomorrow to see my options regarding other bikes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement