Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zwift

Options
  • 30-01-2015 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

Anyone else using it? Just did my first 'spin' of the island tonight. By christ it's addictive. Certainly livens up the turbo sessions. I especially liked the line outs followed by flat out sprints..... Who needs racing....

www.zwift.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Ger.O.Mahony

It looks cool, I'm still waiting on an invite tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I registered about 3 weeks ago, using a powertap, hrm, ant + dongle and windows. I think they prioritise based on the equipment you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Looks good just fired off an application.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

lennymc wrote: »
    I registered about 3 weeks ago, using a powertap, hrm, ant + dongle and windows. I think they prioritise based on the equipment you have.

Have it 3 weeks, would be great for group rides if you had some pals on it.
    Needs more routes but concept is very good

J Madone wrote: »
    Have it 3 weeks, would be great for group rides if you had some pals on it.
    Needs more routes but concept is very good

yeah - the concept is great. I would imagine that they will add more routes, and possibly some of the iconic climbs or races, along with mass start groups. Would be great with a bunch of people and some kind of chat or something. I did find myself actually racing some of the other riders.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I have been on this the last 2 weeks and have already racked up about 300kms on the Island.
    Very good software and it has huge potential once it comes out of Beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I have been on this the last 2 weeks and have already racked up about 300kms on the Island.
    Very good software and it has huge potential once it comes out of Beta.

Has it got any more stable?

I tried it a month or so ago and it was crashing after every lap. Gave up after a while. Good idea and tough riding when you start racing everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I tried it a month or so ago and it was crashing after every lap

Turn off beasty mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Got my invite and am hoping to get this going tonight. Had planned an hour easy outside but might get this going instead. It might be difficult to keep things easy though!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Still waiting an invite on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

End of Trainerroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

End of Trainerroad?

I just tried Zwift for the first time, and while it helps take the boredom out of Turbo work and defo adds a fun element, it doesn't offer the sort of structure that TR does at the moment. I enjoyed it and I will defo be back, but for now it goes hand in hand with TR.

Has it got any more stable?

I tried it a month or so ago and it was crashing after every lap. Gave up after a while. Good idea and tough riding when you start racing everyone else

Have no issues with it at all, might be the PC spec or graphics card?
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Got my invite and am hoping to get this going tonight. Had planned an hour easy outside but might get this going instead. It might be difficult to keep things easy though!

Excellent, we can ride virtually seen as we cannot organise an outside spin between us :) you will find it difficult to do a handy spin on it as you end up racing those around you if in with the right mix of riders.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I just tried Zwift for the first time, and while it helps take the boredom out of Turbo work and defo adds a fun element, it doesn't offer the sort of structure that TR does at the moment. I enjoyed it and I will defo be back, but for now it goes hand in hand with TR.

Yeah I see where you are coming from. Typically I have been doing some threshold or V02 sessions on it, lap hard & lap easy. Cannot be helped but I also seem to keep going for the climber and sprinters jersey. :)

it's impossible to not race people on zwift. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

lennymc wrote: »
    it's impossible to not race people on zwift. LOL

I want to get a Kickr now! Wheel slippage on the Turbo is ruining my green jersey efforts, and with Zwift controlling the Kickr drafting would be alot easier I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I have the kickr, can't go wrong.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

AmberGold wrote: »
    I have the kickr, can't go wrong.

What price did you pick it up for do you mind me asking! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Doing those efforts without wearing a helmet....reckless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Bought mine in US at a favourable Fx rate.

Got my invite and love it
    I did a 20 min non zwift warm up, then 20 mins of weights to burn the legs.
    Started off easy enough, then of course took over by the need to pass!
    Did 4 laps, got a 7.21 on the sprint and into 16th of the hill segment (what ever that means!)

Found it really good for keeping a tempo and trying to stay with or ahead of other lads. Didn't see any Irish lads, loads of UK And USA.
    Got achievements for sprinting, draughting, +30,+40 and +50 mph.
    If a lad could sensibily do an hour on it a few times a week it would surely help. It might get boring though.
    But if you got a TT course and a hill course to add to a few mixed courses then its certainly a good thing.

yop wrote: »
    Got my invite and love it
    I did a 20 min non zwift warm up, then 20 mins of weights to burn the legs.
    Started off easy enough, then of course took over by the need to pass!
    Did 4 laps, got a 7.21 on the sprint and into 16th of the hill segment (what ever that means!)

Found it really good for keeping a tempo and trying to stay with or ahead of other lads. Didn't see any Irish lads, loads of UK And USA.
    Got achievements for sprinting, draughting, +30,+40 and +50 mph.
    If a lad could sensibily do an hour on it a few times a week it would surely help. It might get boring though.
    But if you got a TT course and a hill course to add to a few mixed courses then its certainly a good thing.

What sort of trainer you using?

What sort of trainer you using?

Elite chrono

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Zwift now has workouts, albeit not as many as TR but its a start. Still very few Irish using it looking at the logged on flags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

I joined up yesterday but can't seem to connect. I've a Wahoo Blue speed & Cadence sensor along with an Elite turbo.

Do I need to but an ANt+ dongle for this to work or is there a way around this/?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Andy Magic wrote: »
    I joined up yesterday but can't seem to connect. I've a Wahoo Blue speed & Cadence sensor along with an Elite turbo.

Do I need to but an ANt+ dongle for this to work or is there a way around this/?

ANT+ dongle is required. No way around it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Andy Magic wrote: »

AFAIK that has both Ant and Bluetooth. If you dont have an Ant+ dongle then you can use the Zwift mobile app as a bluetooth bridge for it.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/206576683

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

viperlogic wrote: »
    AFAIK that has both Ant and Bluetooth. If you dont have an Ant+ dongle then you can use the Zwift mobile app as a bluetooth bridge for it.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/206576683

Cheers for that. It will be nice to try it out before investing more money in cycling :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

coach22 wrote: »
    ANT+ dongle is required. No way around it

Spot on, and for a more accurate reading get a usb extension lead to place near your trainer for accurate readings. Make sure you buy the male/female extension lead or the Dongle won't fit.

Advertisement