Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your Eddington Number?

Options
  • 30-03-2015 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

I logged into Veloviewer this morning for the first time in a while and noticed this new data figure in the summary page - My 'Eddington' Number

A cyclist has an Eddington number of E if he/she has cycled at least E miles on E different days.

So for example if you completed 50 rides of at least 50 km but have not completed 51 rides of at least 51km then your Eddington score is 50

Veloviewer puts my Eddington score at just 49km!
    A figure of 100km would be a nice achievement and another reason other than my ocd not to stop at 99km!!

There are plenty on here with huge Eddington numbers I'd say (a lot higher than 100)

What's your Eddington number??

This link provided by jinkypolly allows you to check your number for free.
    https://www.strava.com/oauth/authorize?client_id=3310&redirect_uri=http://canini.me/eddington/index.php&response_type=code

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm not too eager to check for £9.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

For me it comes up on my (free account) - 12 :o

That said only 13 activities logged in Strava - I'd hope to have > 35 for year end.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

PaddyFagan wrote: »
    For me it comes up on my (free account) - 12 :o

That said only 13 activities logged in Strava - I'd hope to have > 35 for year end.

Paddy

On the free account it will only log 25 activities. If you pay you will no doubt see a huge increase in your Eddington number as it logs all of your history!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

DaithiMC wrote: »
    On the free account it will only log 25 activities. If you pay you will no doubt see a huge increase in your Eddington number as it logs all of your history!

I have a free account and it accessed all my two years of Strava activity.

89 was my number. Really hard number to move up the way!

Edit: That's a girly 89 by the way, i.e. km not miles

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

ford2600 wrote: »
    I have a free account and it accessed all my two years of Strava activity.

89 was my number. Really hard number to move up the way!

Yes, but in the future, or if you have only recently registered, you will get to do an upload of only 25 activities.... the Pro version has only recently been introduced and data on there before will not be removed so you will see previous data...

http://blog.veloviewer.com/introducing-veloviewer-premium/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hmmmm......I already feel the itch to try and get that into three figures:)

Measuring Your Bike Miles: The Eddington Number
    Trust me – like many things in life, this may sound complex to begin with but it’s really quite simple, it’s just a little tricky to describe in words. A couple of years ago, I noticed that I’d done 100 rides of 100 miles in a year. A friend commented that this was an Eddington number. Little did I know what he’d started by telling me this.

Some may think Sir Arthur Eddington’s biggest contribution to the world was his work on Einstein’s Theory of Relativity, but for me the bigger impact came from his love of cycling. He devised a measure of a cyclist’s long distance riding achievements. Your Eddington number is defined as the largest integer E, where you have cycled at least E miles on at least E days. For example an E of 60 means that you have ridden 60 miles or more on 60 or more days. Simple.

Be warned this is a hugely addictive measure. The Eddington number has the wonderful quality of progressively getting harder because not all the rides contributing to your current E number will count towards the next one. It’s a target to chase, not just a moving one, but one that accelerates!

When I first discovered this my E number was 116 and since then it’s increased to 127. It’s getting tougher. A solitary ride of 128 miles takes it to 128 but nine rides of 130 or more to get it to 130 and a whopping 97 more rides of 150 or more to reach 150. It makes me wonder what my lifetime limit is? Can I reach 150, 175 or even 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

yep just signed up and will only register last 25.

I got 17 (25 recovery rides) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭G1032

Alek wrote: »
    I'm not too eager to check for £9.99

Sorry. Hadn't realised that it was in the premium version only. I had given him a tenner a few a while ago so got upgraded automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

57 Miles or 91.7km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Mine on the link posted by jinkypolly is 61 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Edit: That's a girly 89 by the way, i.e. km not miles

"GIRLY" is it! Well you're in good company mine is 85.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

29 miles according to Jinkypolly's one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

27 miles on Jinkypollys link.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

52 Miles using Jinkypollys link as well

I need 32 more rides of 50 miles or more to get an Eddington Number of 50.

With a 3 and a half year old and a 4 week old girls that's not going to happen this year. Might not happen by next year either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

73 miles / 104 kms

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

45 miles for me

73 miles / 104 kms

One of those figures is wrong!

I was sure you w have been higher. How many years are you logging rides on strava?

73 miles / 104 kms

I thought you'd be higher! Thought ford2600 would be higher too

• Advertisement

G1032 wrote: »
    I thought you'd be higher! Thought ford2600 would be higher too

65 miles according to Jinkpolly link, 89km the other way!

Even lads who have riden 100 miles 100 times might not be using strava that long. I must ask one of Fleche team mates to check, his number would be mental but not sure how long he is logging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭ratracer

Your cycling Eddington number is 32.

According to your Strava data, you've cycled 32+ miles on 32 different days.

To reach an Eddington number of 35, you need 8 more rides of 35+ miles.
    To reach an Eddington number of 40, you need 18 more rides of 40+ miles.
    To reach an Eddington number of 45, you need 29 more rides of 45+ miles.

Bah Humbug!! I'm Sh!te....:eek::eek: New plan is to get to 35 in May, 40 by June and 45 before the end of Summer, then see what I need to do to get to 50 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

One of those figures is wrong!

I was sure you w have been higher. How many years are you logging rides on strava?
    Logging them on Strava since 2012. (Many pre-Garmin rides before that).

I thought yours would be higher also ford2600!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Mines is 67miles, just 12 70+ rides away from getting up to 70. Happy with that considering the first time over 60 miles was October 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

At the current rate of progress I'll be about 8 years getting to 100

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

Jawgap wrote: »

Hmmmm......I already feel the itch to try and get that into three figures:)

/triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2011/04/18/measuring-bike-miles-eddington-number#Zx6szwOAOEX3lbJ1.99"]Measuring Your Bike Miles: The Eddington Number

I don't get how the guy in the link is working it out!
    Surely if he needs 1 x 128 to get his number to 128, then he'll need a 130 x 130 to get the 130 not just 9?

Forget that I think I've worked it out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

40 miles, 64 in girly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

55 miles

18 for 60
    45 for 70
    62 for 80

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Your cycling Eddington number is 38.

According to your Strava data, you've cycled 38+ miles on 38 different days.

To reach an Eddington number of 40, you need 3 more rides of 40+ miles.
    To reach an Eddington number of 45, you need 20 more rides of 45+ miles.
    To reach an Eddington number of 50, you need 30 more rides of 50+ miles.

Too much commuting and not enough spins for me these days :(

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,300 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Think they should come up with some measure that includes multiples of age, weight and KOMs - could call it your "Beasty number" - would be flying on that one....

Advertisement