Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No second gear

• 29-03-2015 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

I cannot seem to index my gears correctly. The problem is the rear dérailleur moves from third to first without staying in second. Even gingerly moving the shifter only allows me to get second on the way down the gears and even then the chain tends to jump out. All nine others are perfect.

This is driving me bananas at this stage. Any thoughts/advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

2nd gear from the inside or outside?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If you hit every gear bar one I'd say it's not indexed correctly or there may be an issue with that cog. Have you got the spacers in the cassette installed correctly?

Is the rear hanger alright screws are tight and it's not bent?

I usually find it easiest to go back to the start when I run into a problem indexing gears or it becomes a head melt altogether.

How to Adjust Shimano Rear Derailleurs: https://youtu.be/wQncKmddahk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bent hanger gets my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Thanks for responses. Thinking it may be a bent hanger all right as the three biggest gears on the back come as a single unit (Shimano 105). The problem gear is the middle one - I.e the second largest cog.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,515 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You telling us you NeedAnotherGear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Also check that the cable is moving freely from the shifter to the derailleur. I had a problem with a 105 RD shifting previously and it was due to the cable sticking. In my case it needed the cable replaced (both inner and outer). There could be a problem anywhere along the path, including a loose or gunked up cable guide under the BB. Also make sure that the RD itself is moving freely in and out - oil the moving parts if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

You may have tried these things, but just in case...
    To help diagnose the problem, try changing through gears 1-3 by first shifting to 3rd gear normally and then changing down by pulling on the RD cable where it runs along the chainstay. If it shifts OK, then the problem is upstream, either in the cable travel or in the shifter. If the shifting is still bad then the problem is downstream. Could be in the final cable loop, RD or cassette. Also check that the cassette is securely locked down and that the rear wheel is seated correctly in the dropouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Beasty wrote: »
    You telling us you NeedAnotherGear?
    :):D:):D

Sorta walked into that.

Took off the derailleur and cleaned everything. Took out jockey wheels and re tightened everything. Undid the cables and retuned from scratch. All seems ok on the work stand so here's hoping.

Thanks for responses. Thinking it may be a bent hanger all right as the three biggest gears on the back come as a single unit (Shimano 105). The problem gear is the middle one - I.e the second largest cog.

My advice is; take a deep breath and start again from the beginning. As per the youtube video already posted.

Before you even go near the limit screws you need to confirm a few things. Check the mounting bolt for the derailleur is tight. Check the derailleur hanger is straight. Take the cable off the derailleur and make sure it's not sticking in the outer, apply a light bit of oil if it is.

they/them/theirs

iwillhtfu wrote: »

How to Adjust Shimano Rear Derailleurs: https://youtu.be/wQncKmddahk

The best video out there on adjusting the rear derailleur IMO.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
Advertisement