Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Angry swans on Grand Canal

• 27-04-2014 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks. My wife has just started cycling to work, and I've been bringing her along the canal from Adamstown. The only problem is one crazy swan near Inchicore who insists on trying to attack us every morning. I assume its just trying to protect a nest along the banks, but on Tuesday morning it actually flew right at us and hit the missus with its wing. Any advice on dealing with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

I wouldn't be sure there's anything that you can actually do about it.
    The swan is obviously very territorial, possibly as you said due to a nest nearby.
    The only thing I can think of is that the bird will get used to people passing close by and learn to ignore them, hopefully soon, as it would be a busy walkway there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

The swans do have nests at the moment. I commute along there too, haven't had any bother myself. Did hear of a guy from work getting pecked on the heel as he went through one of the gates. I try and give them a wide berth at this time of year.

Hope you can avoid it from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

prehaps worth reporting just as a matter, but likely nothing could be done.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

manafana wrote: »

Other then say the council trying to restrict access to the area (if they even can) during this period there's nothing any report will do, they can't stop the swans doing what swans do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Maybe wear a crown and the swan will think you're from the royal family and won't go near you.

On a serious note, a squirt from a water bottle might work. It works with some dogs and at least it's not a violent way to keep the swan away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Maybe if you cygnet a nice tune it will be distracted and leave you be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Howdy folks. My wife has just started cycling to work, and I've been bringing her along the canal from Adamstown. The only problem is one crazy swan near Inchicore who insists on trying to attack us every morning. I assume its just trying to protect a nest along the banks, but on Tuesday morning it actually flew right at us and hit the missus with its wing. Any advice on dealing with it?

Is it the stretch after the bridge at Kylemore Road?

There's a nest about half way down there with a few eggs in it. I've seen the swan charge a few people. Had to walk by it the other day with my dog, thought the dog was going to jump into my arms like scooby doo, swan was shooting some serious daggers at us! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Why am I picturing the guard out of d'Unbelievables taking this call?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

First world problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Swans - they can break your arm apparently.

• Advertisement

the council could put up a temp fence between the swans nest and the path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

the council could put up a temp fence between the swans nest and the path.
    Trying to get them to empty bins, keep horses out, remove dead animals, stop anti social behavior and the resulting mess seems to be outside their grasp. I'd say there's more chance of the swans turning into the Children of Lir then the council doing anything about a bit of swan on cyclist crime!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭idiottje

I reported it and sent in a video of him getting me on the heel when I went by him. He was sitting in the middle of the Greenway at the time. There is not a lot they can do. It was recommended that I get off the bike and walk past him with the bike between me and him. I have passed by the place a few times since, and he has either been in the water, or not there at all.

It might be that approaching him at speed is what sets him off.

NOTE: If you do try this, it is at your own risk, and I accept no responsibility for what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭jgreene83

I find that slowing down and giving him a wide berth works just as well, even though he still leans toward me and snaps his beak, he's usually grand in the evening so maybe he's just not a morning person!
    idiottje wrote: »
    He was sitting in the middle of the Greenway at the time.
    That was about two weeks ago, his missus was on the path as well, was very aggressive that morning, had a little panic image in my head of being beaten off the bike by a swan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I wonder if Paddy Power will give odds on Swan vs Cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Euro Fred

Punch it in the face?

how do people find the canal path overall, it was ok during day but i did run into some charactors further up towards adamstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭idiottje

how do people find the canal path overall, it was ok during day but i did run into some charactors further up towards adamstown.

It's not too bad. It is great that you are away from traffic, but it is not a total delight.

Have to slow down for the kissing gates.
    Good weather brings out the drinkers, that are usually not a problem, but I have had a few stumble into my path.
    No schools means "youves" bored from between Davitt Road, and at the gates at Ballyfermot from time to time throwing stones, and just being a general nuisance.
    Also the canal lock swimmers in fine weather tend to have a lot of broken glass, and have a laugh, and throw stuff, but they tend to be more interested in each other than really cause a problem.
    The swan, but it is only the one swan.
    Horse poo and broken glass every now and then.

As I make the list it seems like a lot, but really, in the grand scheme of things, it is quick, and handy, and is a short route. The other options are the N4, which in rush hour on the way home, I would not fancy, and Ballyfermot village, which is not bad, but the cycle lanes there seem to have been designed by a 3 year old with crayons on one of those mats you can buy in Ikea with a road drawn on it.

I am thinking of buying a Bullitt cargo bike, so am looking at the other options to get home, and tried a few routes suggested in other posts.

Here is the contact for the security company monitoring the cameras. 086-7760612.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

bogmanfan wrote: »

Nest or no nest swans are ***** holes. FACT!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

My kids were only retelling the story during the week here to friends that they
    had in the house, of the time about 2 years ago out at Estuary Rd in Malahide
    feeding the swans there when one got ropey and started biting my daughter (age 5).
    I immediately instintively spun around and backhand pimpslapped the head off
    the fooker lol. I swear his head spun 5 times and his neck twisted up like a rope ha
    My 2 boys just stood there open mouthed while the other 20 swans took a step back too lol.

He's lucky not to have his head cut off and parsley & thyme infused breadcrumbs
    shoved up his arse then eaten with a nice bottle of Chianti ffs, touching MY lil princess. :cool:

Its only a swan. Not a lion or a crocodile, htfu. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

1332100553e13d3d_l.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Maybe get this modification for your bike!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

those swans have some neck...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Raam wrote: »
    Maybe if you cygnet a nice tune it will be distracted and leave you be.

A swan song? :D alright, I'll get me coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Couple of weeks ago I got attacked by a Swan, I was biking along the Green Walk.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Tell it to cob on to itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Buchaill_Mor

So, the mental swan is back, and this morning he was in very fine form. Standing in the centre of the path way, and actively having a go at all passers by. Wheeled or not.
    So, has anyone got any non pun based advice as to what to do when coming to this crazy bird? Usual spot. Between Kylemore and Bluebell bridges. I think this area is covered by South County Dublin, and not Dublin CC, but I would not expect them to be able to do much about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Slap it's bonnet and shout obscenities through its windshield.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So, the mental swan is back, and this morning he was in very fine form. Standing in the centre of the path way, and actively having a go at all passers by. Wheeled or not.
    So, has anyone got any non pun based advice as to what to do when coming to this crazy bird? Usual spot. Between Kylemore and Bluebell bridges. I think this area is covered by South County Dublin, and not Dublin CC, but I would not expect them to be able to do much about him.

Why should any council do anything about it though? Find another route or little detour would be my suggestion. It's coming up to the time of year when Cygnets are hatching, so it's likely being very protective of a nearby nest and will be doing so for a few months

• Advertisement
Advertisement