Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreasonable or Selfless?

Options
  • 11-05-2012 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭

I'm turning 21 in July and have had my parents hounding at me to figure out what I want to do for it.
    Basically I'm a shy guy who hates going out to nightclubs or having any attention thrust upon me.

They expected me to want to rent out somewhere and invite all my friends and relatives. I just want to have 5-10 friends up to my house to have a few drinks and play xBox.

Now my parents are saying I'm being selfish because I'm the oldest and won't have a big celebration. "Its their first 21st too."

I don't understand. I'm saving them hundreds of euro and they are mad at me? Someone please explain.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Your parents think you want a party and are saying that its "their 21st too" to try and make you not feel guilty about having all the money spent on you

I suggest saying you want to go out for a fancy meal with your family then a day or so later have mates over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Unreasonable or Selfless?

Sounds like caring to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Brendog wrote: »
    I'm turning 21 in July and have had my parents hounding at me to figure out what I want to do for it.
    Basically I'm a shy guy who hates going out to nightclubs or having any attention thrust upon me.

They expected me to want to rent out somewhere and invite all my friends and relatives. I just want to have 5-10 friends up to my house to have a few drinks and play xBox.

Now my parents are saying I'm being selfish because I'm the oldest and won't have a big celebration. "Its their first 21st too."

I don't understand. I'm saving them hundreds of euro and they are mad at me? Someone please explain.

You're only 21 once. Do what you want to do.

It is in absolutely no way your parents 21st.

It sounds like they're being selfish tbh.

That's not to say that having a bit of a do at your house wouldn't be advisable - i'd recommend a themed night and cocktails. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

ask them for a hooker and some drug money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Key their car.

Your party fund will go to fixing it and theyll be too mad to throw you a party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

I hate most people and didn't want a giant party inviting a lot of people I didnt like, just to make up numbers. What I done was had a gorgeous meal for best friends and immediate family, and headed to my local pub where I invited neighbours, friends and extended family. There was about 30 people there for my birthday, in a normal pub on a saturday night and the craic was unbelievable. Even people who weren't in our group joined in and it was so much fun.

If you are into just having a few friends over, thats your choice, but compromise if you can... Let them do something special for you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I don't get it. It's a birthday the same as the rest, I really don't see the significance. If you don't want to do anything big for it then wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

X-Box?? Damn it man, you're 21. Foxy Boxing should be the priority.

(A wrestling pond filled with Jelly for the all girls nude wrestling team wouldn't go astray either. PS I can help hand out the towels to the girls after the bouts)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

I'm the very same, the last thing I'd want is big party focused on me, I was 18 in January, didn't bother doing anything for it. The mother wanted me to have a party, I didn't, got my way in the end :), didn't bother telling anyone it was my birthday at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I'm the same op.
    I just wanted a meal locally with my parents and brother.
    Hated the idea of a big fuss and all that.
    They insisted on a party that ended up being 70+ people.
    For what it's worth it was a lovely day even if I felt like a right eejit!

Insist on a stripper if you go ahead with it. Actually lots of strippers.
    That'll learn them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Im 21 in 3 weeks and my parents are pushing for me to have a 21st...im still refusing

I dont want one simple as...i hate being the cenrte of attention so a big 21st is a no no for me!

Its your birthday...do what you want...dont let them push you into anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

When my daughter turns 21, I will definitely be having a party, with or without her!

Though I reckon she'll be there alright.

Liven up I say.

Few drinks and xBox?

Whoopdeedo :pac:

It's probably the last time someone will throw you a party so enjoy it :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Gbear wrote: »
    You're only 21 once. Do what you want to do.

It is in absolutely no way your parents 21st.

It sounds like they're being selfish tbh.

That's not to say that having a bit of a do at your house wouldn't be advisable - i'd recommend a themed night and cocktails. :cool:

Maybe they feel he's being low key for their sake to save them the expense, and want to throw him a bash to show some appreciation.

Maybe they want a big party and to invite all the family along with the friends so that they can be publicly proud of their eldest kid, and to show him they love him and want to remember the anniversary of the day they first became a family.

OP, if I were you I'd do the big family dinner in a restaurant and then have the friends over. Maybe that'll tick everyones boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

You're not being unreasonable. Your parents don't seem to understand how you feel. It's a bit awkward all around. If you think your parents would be very upset by you not doing anything then you should probably make some effort, even just at some compromise.
    They raised you and they want you to have a good birthday and in their eyes that means having a bit of a bash. Or maybe they're more easy going than I imagine and you can explain to them what you would like.

Compromise and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

You're not being unreasonable, you are being selfish (but not in a bad way).
    I wouldn't (and didn't) compromise.
    Go for what makes you happy, it's your birthday. Tell anyone who tries to pressure you to piss off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

From now on whenever it's one of your parents' birthdays, don't get them a present. Get one for your grandparents and if your parents are upset point out that it's their birthday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Im 21 in 3 weeks and my parents are pushing for me to have a 21st...im still refusing

I dont want one simple as...i hate being the cenrte of attention so a big 21st is a no no for me!

Its your birthday...do what you want...dont let them push you into anything!

Thats exactly how I feel. How is booking a place and having a few hundred people come any fun? I'll be running around to see if everyone is having fun, have to talk to everyone including annoying relatives and not get to drink.

Told my parents they can use the money they've saved to give themselves a nice night out.

They'll just have to wait another 5 years for my attention seeking sibling to have a big box social the can invite everyone to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Luckily you live in Ireland so turning 21 to completely unimportant.

God damn Americanisation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

They want to bully you into having a party you don't feel comfortable with because "It's their first 21st too"

Some parents are bat**** insane (mine included) IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's just another day :) Never did understand what the deal with being 21 is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I turned 21 two weeks ago and didn't do anything. Just ordered some curry and watched a movie on my own. Turning 21 is no big deal. I never understood why people take birthdays so seriously, it's just under day and you're just another speck of dust in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I didnt have a 21st, they're usually sh1t anyway. some GAA hall filled with people dancing to some wankbag dj's idea of good music, rock the boat? **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I understand completely. I was in the same situation with my parents at my 21st for the same reasons. I finally settled on having a house party with just my friends, cousins and a few aunts and uncles and family friends. It's your birthday, do what you want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Anyway, I'm not that popular to have a 21st. And why book at big hall to have a party that's all about you? It takes some ego for someone to think their that special.

(*Secretly loathes popular people with friends*)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

A night with over a hundred people celebrating my birthday is straight the **** from my nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

Thats exactly how I feel. How is booking a place and having a few hundred people come any fun?

Serious cash to be made there OP, quit being so damn selfish :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

I don't suppose you're lucky enough to have an older brother OP by any chance?

I had. He took me aside and assured me that while it was an important day for my mother (my Dad was deceased), he'd explain to her that a party wasn't really my thing.

Then, he took my mother aside, and explained to her that, there could be a quiet get-together for close friends, if she was invited.

Then, on the day, he took me out for "a small one" to steady my nerves.

By 3.00 p.m. I was relaxed. (And sh1t-faced).

He then rang my mother and explained that anyone who wanted to celebrate my birthday, would find us in The Purty Kitchen in Dun Laoghaire.

Hilarious night that ended back at home with friends and family.

Didn't feel self-conscious (thank you Dutch courage) the whole night, except for the whippogram.

But, I even got into that after the third swipe.;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

shancoduff wrote: »
    Serious cash to be made there OP, quit being so damn selfish :pac:

Jesus I WISH I had mates who gave my money on my birthday instead of saying "hello" and eating my food.

Now that I think about it, friends are assholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I think for some parents, a 21st is very important. I remember being 10 and watching a video on the vcr of my cousins 21st. My parents proudly boasting that someday my 21st would trump that. Unfortunately I ended up being a loner and generally despising such sheep fests...so? ya, anyway load of cock OP, there's nothing to celebrate like you're only a year closer to death is all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

O.k so I have an idea. Compromise if you will. Your parents say it's their 21st too... bingo! So here's the plan, you track down all their old friends, from school/ college and such, send out invitations to all of them and tell them that you're having a suprise 21st for your parents and would really love if they could come and that it would mean a lot to them. Rent out a place, get a themed night, to bring them back to when they were younger, and let everyone get their freak on.
    Basically, give them the 21st they never had. Then you can have your 21st and they can have the party they never had, everyone's a winner.

Advertisement