Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreasonable or Selfless?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Brendog wrote: »
    I'm turning 21 in July and have had my parents hounding at me to figure out what I want to do for it.
    Basically I'm a shy guy who hates going out to nightclubs or having any attention thrust upon me.

They expected me to want to rent out somewhere and invite all my friends and relatives. I just want to have 5-10 friends up to my house to have a few drinks and play xBox.

Now my parents are saying I'm being selfish because I'm the oldest and won't have a big celebration. "Its their first 21st too."

I don't understand. I'm saving them hundreds of euro and they are mad at me? Someone please explain.

Your parents aren't 21 yet? :p
    Tell thanks but it's not what you want. If they keep at it then they are being over bearing and not actually giving you what you want which means they suck.

bronte wrote: »
    I'm the same op.
    I just wanted a meal locally with my parents and brother.
    Hated the idea of a big fuss and all that.
    They insisted on a party that ended up being 70+ people.
    For what it's worth it was a lovely day even if I felt like a right eejit!

Insist on a stripper if you go ahead with it. Actually lots of strippers.
    That'll learn them.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

You think you have problems in life and then you read stuff like this.

Thinking of you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I'm turning 21 in July and have had my parents hounding at me to figure out what I want to do for it.
    Basically I'm a shy guy who hates going out to nightclubs or having any attention thrust upon me.

They expected me to want to rent out somewhere and invite all my friends and relatives. I just want to have 5-10 friends up to my house to have a few drinks and play xBox.

Now my parents are saying I'm being selfish because I'm the oldest and won't have a big celebration. "Its their first 21st too."

I don't understand. I'm saving them hundreds of euro and they are mad at me? Someone please explain.

Have you tried stomping your feet yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Demand a solid gold "key of the door" OP from anyone who cares to show up.

And then melt them down. Should leave you in serious profit or alone.

Win Win.

Also, don't make too many tuna sandwiches. For some reason, there's always too many tuna sandwiches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

It's your birthday, do whatever you want. Don't give in to any pressure from anyone else.

I didn't want a big 21st either. I just planned to spend it with my boyfriend (on what would be my first birthday as a non-single person) and was looking forward to commemorating it that way instead. Then the night before he dumps me over a phonecall. :mad: So my actual birthday consisted of me drinking wine by myself and watching (500) Days of Summer. :( Afterwards I wished I had organised something 'cause at least then I'd have something else to remember it by.

So if you don't want a big party or anything, and you are very adamant about that, then you shouldn't be forced into having one. But if you don't commemorate it at all you might end up regretting it later. Whatever happens for your 21st it's unlikely to be as awful as mine was so you can take comfort in that at least! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Plazaman wrote: »
    X-Box?? Damn it man, you're 21. Foxy Boxing should be the priority.

(A wrestling pond filled with Jelly for the all girls nude wrestling team wouldn't go astray either. PS I can help hand out the towels to the girls after the bouts)

That can be arranged OP. PM me for a quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Tell them you'll have a big party if they buy you a car and a few strippers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

by the time mine came around i'd been to all my friends' ones with renting halls and djs and cringe
    so i just went down to the pub with a load of friends and had no party
    think the family were a bit surprised/disappointed but sure they got over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

your parents want ya to get out meet new people move out of their house and stand on your own two feet.... nothing unreasonable about that

stop being a basement nerd and just do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Shy_Guy

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

where did the whole 21st birthday thing come from anyway?!

its such a random number, you would think 20th birthday would be a big on because you are now an adult.

Ah... the mysteries of the universe

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

your parents want ya to get out meet new people move out of their house and stand on your own two feet.... nothing unreasonable about that

stop being a basement nerd and just do it

They'll also want you to work a certain type of job / rent or buy to fit certain timescales / marry a certain type of girl / and have kids by a specified age.

Your 21st is as good a time as any to let your parent's know that, while you love them, you intend to do what you think will make yourself happy the rest of the way from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I am going to do all I can to resist having a conventional 21st. The thought of all the aunties, uncles and neighbours juxtaposed with friends and people I don't like dancing awkwardly to S Club 7 is not my idea of a good time.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Jesus I WISH I had mates who gave my money on my birthday instead of saying "hello" and eating my food.

Now that I think about it, friends are assholes.
    On the food issue, I'll take pizza, thanks.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Yeah my parents didn't give a damn about my 21st and I was too embarrassed to do anything because I felt the pressure to do something big and that is just not me and I'd be organising it on my own.. the few drinks sounds like a good idea, there is no reason though that you can't have a separate thing for family like a meal at the house or out somewhere.

Advertisement