Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird computer noise

Options
  • 05-02-2016 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Get this weird grinding noise every so often; maybe a couple of times an hour. Have replaced all case fans, so pretty sure it isn't those. Checked the (stock) CPU fan, and thats not near any wires.

Any idea what the noise could be? Or what part I need to upgrade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

the_syco wrote: »

Get this weird grinding noise every so often; maybe a couple of times an hour. Have replaced all case fans, so pretty sure it isn't those. Checked the (stock) CPU fan, and thats not near any wires.

Any idea what the noise could be? Or what part I need to upgrade?

Power supply fan maybe? I had to send one back previously, bearings were ****ed, made quite the racket

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

If you can disable the discrete GPU and use the integrated one you can eliminate that.

Other than that it's too loud and clacky to be any dying HDD I've come across so I'd vote PSU as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Some HDD's can be really loud when they're starting to fail, it does sound like a HDD to me.

The noise is too mechanical to be a fan I would imagine....but impossible to say 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

That loud? Holy Jesus, back-up everything as soon as possible so.
    I'd expect to see the HDD flipping over to be that loud. It's usually a "snick" that I hear but this does seem rhythmic/mechanical.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

HDD failing IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its either

A. You still have a CD Drive?

B. The HDD Head is "crashing", the arm doesnt stop before hitting max extension/contraction

If its the latter it likely won't last long, leave it powered down until you have a new drive ready to clone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sh|te. Probably the HDD. Shall turn it off when I get home, and plug out all the HDD's. Luckily I can still game, as they're on my SSD's.

Pity there's no way to find out which one is on it's way out :(

Shall order a HDD tomorrow, and transfer the important files over.

=-=

Regarding the PSU, it's a Coolermaster that came with the case, a Cosmos 1000. Got it probably around 2007 or 2008. VERY sound proof, so if it is the HDD, it's probably actually a lot louder.

Advertisement