Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski insurance -needed off piste

Options
  • 28-01-2016 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Does anyone know if there is off-piste insurance available that includes skiing without a guide. Ive looked at most places and they say insurance does not cover unguided off- piste skiing where the local ski patrol have deemed as "unsafe". This is a bit confusing as ski patrols do not usually call out places as unsafe unless there is a massive risk, they just mark out areas that are safe.

The only insurance I could find was ski club UK which is only for UK residents which is no use.

Help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is off-piste insurance available that includes skiing without a guide. Ive looked at most places and they say insurance does not cover unguided off- piste skiing where the local ski patrol have deemed as "unsafe". This is a bit confusing as ski patrols do not usually call out places as unsafe unless there is a massive risk, they just mark out areas that are safe.

The only insurance I could find was ski club UK which is only for UK residents which is no use.

Help would be much appreciated!

I've seen this argued before, either here or on snowheads and I thought the conclusion was that you were covered off piste, unless the area you are skiing in was specifically deemed unsafe. Personally I thought this was very permissive as insurers are usually trying to screw you every which way they can and that interpretation would allow you do way too much. I think Fattes, who probably needs to know, has a view on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Also think there's a company called dogtag that does specific off piste insurance.

Insurance contracts are consumer contracts and should be interpreted in favour of the consumer, unless very clearly pointed in a given way. This should work in favour of us but it may be that when asked the resort will say any area off the piste is deemed unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Pretty much every winter cover option is worded very clearly that you must be with a guide and not in an area deemed dangerous/unsafe. The unsafe usually refers to areas that are permanent 'No Ski/Board' areas.
    a148pro wrote: »
    Insurance contracts are consumer contracts and should be interpreted in favour of the consumer, unless very clearly pointed in a given way. This should work in favour of us but it may be that when asked the resort will say any area off the piste is deemed unsafe.

'contra proferentem' means that any ambiguity will go against the insurer, so if it's not clear, you can argue it with them and you'll likely win.

Advertisement