Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunglasses Reccommendation

Options
  • 06-01-2016 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi, I do have goggles, I won't use them unless its bad weather. Anyone got good recommendations for shades for skiing? I am looking on chainreactioncycles.co.uk for cycling ones. What about these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/endura-snoek-glasses/rp-prod91295

Do you think the white framed ones would be ok? I read full frames are bit safer as wont cut into you if fall.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

i cycle a lot and brought my glasses skiing a few times, I wear these. but have the set that i can change as season change, perfectly fine for skiing and cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Pablo_ wrote: »
    Hi, I do have goggles, I won't use them unless its bad weather. Anyone got good recommendations for shades for skiing? I am looking on chainreactioncycles.co.uk for cycling ones. What about these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/endura-snoek-glasses/rp-prod91295

Do you think the white framed ones would be ok? I read full frames are bit safer as wont cut into you if fall.

Thanks

I use a dark lensed Oakley Frogskin pair of sunglasses, they're extremely light, very comfortable and the arms clip off under pressure, so they won't snap in the case of a fall. I got mine for about 50 in Kildare Village, but you can get them pretty cheap on Amazon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

I think the main issue is will they fog up or not. I like to look of the oakleys alright. I think full frame is safer but would be nice to have the brown or yellow interchangeable lenses too. Grey Lens is the best all round though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I think the main issue is will they fog up or not. I like to look of the oakleys alright. I think full frame is safer but would be nice to have the brown or yellow interchangeable lenses too. Grey Lens is the best all round though.

The Oakley Prizm stuff is great, but you will pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

have been threatening to buy a good pair of sunglasses for years but end up using crap ones anytime I go, or more recently using goggles all the time (which I actually like but would be nice to have a good pair of sunglasses). Would be interested to hear if anyone else has good suggestions on good brands. julbo etc seem good value but don't know much about them.

• Advertisement

I'm going to chance a middle of the road pair, ~€40, for skiing next month and I'll let you know which ones I got and were they any good ... Did they fog up on every descent, did they fall off, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I'm going to chance a middle of the road pair, ~€40, for skiing next month and I'll let you know which ones I got and were they any good ... Did they fog up on every descent, did they fall off, etc.

glasses would do the opposite, fog up when you are still and warm then clear up once you start moving :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

I tend to use my goggles all the time now. I used to use sunglasses but once I moved to goggles I never went back.
    I cycle as well and have a decent set of glasses with three different lenses so I might bring them this year and try them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm looking for a cheap (<€50) pair of polarised sunglasses. Any recommendations? (I'm gonna tip into TK Maxx to see if I can spot anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

olaola wrote: »
    I'm looking for a cheap (<€50) pair of polarised sunglasses. Any recommendations? (I'm gonna tip into TK Maxx to see if I can spot anything)

Never use polarised lenses in snow!

• Advertisement

Can I ask, why do you want to wear glasses an not goggles?

I've always worn goggles, I find them much more comfy.
    No gorby gap, I've never had my goggles come off in a crash.

Diemos wrote: »

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

Rew wrote: »
    Why not?

No reason. Some say the polarisation makes it hard to see ice as there's no/less glare. I suspect poor quality polarised lens is more an issue rather than polarised glasses themselves.
    I queried one of the major manufacturers of glasses and goggles a couple of years ago about it and they said there was no issue and would recommend polarised, even though their non-polarised options were fine too. The cost of production was why they said there is a limited range of options compared to non-polarised. It wasn't a sales pitch either, I already had their products.

I'm not experienced enough on the mountains to know if any of that is true or false in reality !

Russman wrote: »
    No reason. Some say the polarisation makes it hard to see ice as there's no/less glare. I suspect poor quality polarised lens is more an issue rather than polarised glasses themselves.
    I queried one of the major manufacturers of glasses and goggles a couple of years ago about it and they said there was no issue and would recommend polarised, even though their non-polarised options were fine too. The cost of production was why they said there is a limited range of options compared to non-polarised. It wasn't a sales pitch either, I already had their products.

I'm not experienced enough on the mountains to know if any of that is true or false in reality !

Yeah i'm all for polarised, my day to day sunglasses are polarised and I have skied using them on occasion (though I prefer goggles). Just seems strange for someone to be so against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

Yeah i'm all for polarised, my day to day sunglasses are polarised and I have skied using them on occasion (though I prefer goggles). Just seems strange for someone to be so against it.

Agreed.
    But to be fair, lots of websites and reviews are adamant on it being a huge "no-no".
    I know in golf for example, its a pretty equal split between those who are for or against wearing polarised glasses. Some say you can't read the greens with them on, others say its no bother at all. Each to their own.

Maui Jim only make polarised glasses and I doubt Oakley would produce polarised goggles if they were in any way dangerous.

I have very photosensitive eyes and the glare really takes its toll on me during the day. I'm not actually skiing this year, even though I am going to do some snow hiking etc. But I really need a pair of polarised glasses for comfort.

Can I ask, why do you want to wear glasses an not goggles?

I've always worn goggles, I find them much more comfy.
    No gorby gap, I've never had my goggles come off in a crash.

I usually wear sunglasses while skiing, find it a lot more comfortable. Goggles just start to pi$$ me off, and I only use them if I really need to. Keeping them clean also drives me mad. I wear glasses usually (wear contacts while on the slopes) and any smudges just drive me to distraction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I've had cheap sunglasses and expensive sunglasses - polarised / non polarised and there's no difference.

Wear sunglasses when its sunny, wear goggles when its snowing, cloudy or cold (<-2).

Polarised are great for day to day use, I agree but just not on the slopes.
    That is why the major brands make very very few models with polarised lenses on their goggles.

It's not going to ruin your day on the hill. It just makes life that little more difficult.

As an aside, Oakley's Prizm tech (in both glasses and goggles) is amazing.

TK Maxx had some great glasses on sale. I got a decent pair of polarised Polaroid sunglasses for €19.99. They had everything from Cebe/Puma/Nike/Adidas for sports to RayBan & other brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I have the Rose tinted Prizm, it's good in overcast conditions but found it hard to see the terrain in the sunlight. I'm very wary about wearing sunglasses while snowboarding, there is a bigger chance of a face first fall than when skiing! :eek: :cool:

Polarised are great for day to day use, I agree but just not on the slopes.
    That is why the major brands make very very few models with polarised lenses on their goggles.

It's not going to ruin your day on the hill. It just makes life that little more difficult.

I still don't see any reason why you think its not good on the slopes. If it was bad no one would make a polarised lens for snow goggles.

I still don't see any reason why you think its not good on the slopes. If it was bad no one would make a polarised lens for snow goggles.

Nearly no one does, that's my point. Oakley only make 1 model that I can see. Von Zippper, Dragon, Spy, Smith, Anon and Electric make none and POC make a handful.

I'm not hating, if you like it then fair play.
    I see a difference and it's not for me.

I'm not hating, if you like it then fair play.
    I see a difference and it's not for me.

Thats what I was wondering, so there is no actual reason not to use polarised lenses its just personal preference. When you were so adamant earlier in the thread I though there was some big reason I had missed and couldn't find googling.

So i got these in the end. They were very good wrap around style, totally secure and comfortable, with little risk of breaking. they had amber lens and compared with my goggles dealt with bright snow and even white out conditions very well. I could distinguish features on the slopes easily. That's closure for me anyway on the whole thing :-) ... made more so as I lost them the last night on apres ski :o

https://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=248

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

stevire wrote: »
    I have the Rose tinted Prizm, it's good in overcast conditions but found it hard to see the terrain in the sunlight. I'm very wary about wearing sunglasses while snowboarding, there is a bigger chance of a face first fall than when skiing! :eek: :cool:

That's interesting. I have the rose prizm goggles and have the opposite problem. They're awesome in sunlight but suck in overcast. Maybe it's my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

That's interesting. I have the rose prizm goggles and have the opposite problem. They're awesome in sunlight but suck in overcast. Maybe it's my eyes.

Haha, all I remember is having to take them off on occasion in the glaring sunlight cause I couldn't make out the terrain below me. Was fine again when in the shade etc. Either way I got caught by the marketing hype last year, I'm not sure the rose prizm is a whole lot better than the bog standard persimmon lens I had before!

All the Prizim snow lenses are essentially the same colour but range in how dark they are with the Rose one being the lightest. The black, torch, sapphire and jade are all just mirrored coatings they all look pink though the lens. In particular there is no difference at all when looking out of torch, sapphire and jade they are identical shades of pink. I have the black and rose lenses. Win really flat light or poor visibility I was still screwed with the rose. The advantage of the rose is that it wearable from bad to decent conditions where as the yellow and persimmon tend to be too much once things brighten up a bit. Obviously the user experience varies a bit.

In our group one of the girls had scott photo sensitive goggles that she was struggling with in bad light, she swapped with someone for the rose and found it much better. The guy she swapped with instantly fell over wearing the scott ones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

It may sound obvious but what I check first when choosing sunglasses/ski goggles is the UV protection. Level/category 3 minimum (out of 4). With cat 4 it's forbidden to drive so I generally get cat 3 ones. Then I pay attention to the frame such that it covers the side of my eyes.

It may only be me but I noticed goggles were better when it's really cold (-15°C, -20°C and less). With my sunglasses, despite a decent protecting frame, the air always managed to enter and combining speed with very low temperature it was a real pain for my eyes.

So. Have dark cat 3 sunglasses (maybe a bit too dark now that I tried untinted ones) and got last year goggles with dual lenses (pale grey cat 3 and yellow cat 1 for foggy days and/or white out). Both from cébé. Sunglasses from 2002. Used them for everything (though were not my main ski sunglasses). Never a pb. Still in great condition. Tried the goggles for a 1-day gorgeous weather (though with -10/15°C at the top) ski in Val Thorens and they were great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement