Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ski resort

Options
  • 19-12-2015 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi hoping you can provide me with some recommendations. Hoping to go skiing on the week on the 2nd Jan. Have spent the last two Christmas days skiing in zell am see , loved it there but looking to try a new resort this year. We are a couple not looking for anywhere wild, just good skiing , nice scenery and nice food! As I said this is our third time to go skiing so still very much beginners. Open to any suggestions at this stage!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

dubgirl15 wrote: »
    Hi hoping you can provide me with some recommendations. Hoping to go skiing on the week on the 2nd Jan. Have spent the last two Christmas days skiing in zell am see , loved it there but looking to try a new resort this year. We are a couple not looking for anywhere wild, just good skiing , nice scenery and nice food! As I said this is our third time to go skiing so still very much beginners. Open to any suggestions at this stage!

Zermatt would be my recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Morzine is great, easy enough skiing/boarding, very nice scenery and lovely town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

Nowhere in Europe, unless things change dramatically in the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

d2ww wrote: »
    Nowhere in Europe, unless things change dramatically in the next week.

Why are things not looking good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Nope not a lot of snow and none forecast for next while, if your dates are flexible hang on a bit, if not, go high, 3Vs or Tignes / Val D'Isere, Ischgl

• Advertisement

Or go Canada or West Coast USA, lots of snow, prob only 300 extra for your flights per person

Yeah luckily I can wait if I want. Might leave it to the end of January as last two Xmas trips didn't have a huge amount of snow. Is Andorra a compete no in general? Not looking for an Ibiza in the snow holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭d2ww

If you can then definitely wait until conditions improve. Christmas is never really a good time for a ski holiday, it's just too early in the season with large crowds clogging up the limited number or runs that would be open.
    As for Andorra, it's suffering as much as the rest of the Alps. It has not snowed there since 09/12.
    http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/El-Tarter-Soldeu/snow-report

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭maddness

Wait till later in January and you will most likely get better conditions and a good bargain too.
    Have you considered Italy? Great food and wine, cheaper than France and if it's just the two of you the lack of après wouldn't be an issue. The Italians love to groom their pistes very well too so that might suit your skiing ability.
    Have a look at La Thuile, Cervinia, Seistire/Sauze d'Olux and perhaps Champlouc.

Agree with loving Italy but they are having it hardest of all with snow this season. Hasn't really been any natural snow there yet this season.

Some pics in this article are frankly disturbing:

http://www.planetski.eu/news/7497

• Advertisement

Yeah terrible start to the season but if they wait until mid January there should be plenty of snow.

thanks for all the tips. Okay so im pretty sure ill wait till the 30th January now to go. Italy sounds good for a change, any resort/hotel recommendations?

For a quiet spot try La Thuile and the Hotel Planibel. Great food and right beside the ski lifts.

Cervinia nice and dramatic, fair bit of skiing and very high but susceptible to wind closures. The dolomites are stunningly beautiful, prob the most scenic skiing in the world, but the resorts are quite strung out. Livigno is very good value and decent skiing, but transfer tends to be very long. Madonna di Campiglio (or something like that) is supposed to be great and is on my list but haven't made it yet. Pila decent but very small ski area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Is Andorra a compete no in general? Not looking for an Ibiza in the snow holiday!

Arinsal is a great spot for beginners, and with Pal minutes away included in your lift pass you can explore more as the week goes on and confidence grows, the night life is just right, not too mad but not dead either. Pas De La Casa on the other hand is a mad town.
    All runs bar one are open at the moment so might suit your earlier dates, once the snow starts to dump it can be a bit of a pain if the close the mountain down.
    Transfers are a pain with Barcelona being the lesser of two evils, The French love to close roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm sticking with Saalbach, so many pluses and some great runs here. Ischgl comes in a close second for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Cervinia is a lovely spot n way cheaper than zermatt. Absolutely stunning skiing around the matterhorn n no one about.

Madonna de campaglia as someone mentioned is top class as well, either of them n u,' ll be a happy camper.
    Long enough transfers from Milan to both iirc.

Bear in mind much of Italy has yet to get any snow this season and is running on artificial snow (which reports on line bizarrely are suggesting is skiing well), although I think the Northern resorts are due to benefit from the dump forecast for the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

Looks like conditions have improved with a good bit of snow recently in the Alps.
    I think Saalbach in Austria is my favourite resort..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I know it's too late for this year but it may be helpful to you/some for later experience.

You were asking for the best ski resort. I'd answer you it all depends on what you're searching for.
    • ski only: amount/length of pistes, quality of the lifts, height difference from top to bottom, quality of the snow/elevation of the resort, exclusively on pistes or off-pistes/freeride, snowpark, etc... ;
    • scenery/landscape, resort "friendliness": a small mountain village or a "ski-factory" ;
    • après-ski: restaurants, pubs, night-clubs ;
    • facilities: shops, other non-ski activities ;
    and what you're willing/able to spend (skipass, accomodation comfort, food (**), après-ski).

Now, considering your criterion I bolded, I'd say you should find great places in the Southern Alps in France (*). Being French, I have almost no experience of skiing abroad (just tried Spain) so can't give you advice elsewhere but I can tell you that Spain is expensive and the Pyrenees too. Ditto the Vosges. Savoyard Alps are generally more expensive than Southern ones. Grenoble and the Hautes-Alpes/Savoie border being the boundary between Northern and Southern Alps.
    I'm a bit surprised by the amount of posts saying Italy's cheaper. One of my good friend, Italian, was always coming to France (and not the cheapest place, actually maybe one of the most expensive, Val d'Isère) because it was cheaper than Italy!

(*) Vars/Risoul (La Forêt Blanche) should suit you. It's a big enough skiing area. If you're OK with a smaller area, Saint Véran is a superb place. Or, around Gap, in the Champsaur valley, there are many (very) small "familly" resorts (e.g. Chaillol, Saint-Léger les Mélèzes) but it's not very high and it's very sunny so careful with the snow conditions. In the area, Les Orres is great value too (check when Marseille is on holiday since it can be quite packed when it's the case).
    In the Northern Alps, the Maurienne valley offers good deals. Valmeinier/Valloire (if you look for a calm place, favour Valmeinier), Val Cenis are great mid-size resorts. Aussois and Bonneval-sur-Arc are smaller but have great character. Probably a bit more expensive than the Southern Alps ones I mentioned above.

(**) About food, it also depends upon what you're planning to do: buy food and cook yourself or go in restaurants. First option is of course much cheaper and guarantees you good food if you plan it a little bit ahead (local markets, delis in the nearest towns).
    stecleary wrote: »
    Transfers are a pain with Barcelona being the lesser of two evils, The French love to close roads.
    Not sure what you're on about with this but I presume you don't know the area. Acces to Pas de la Casa is done via 2 main roads on the French side (from Perpignan or Toulouse). From Toulouse, it's OK up to Ax-les-Thermes, then the Ariège valley is very steep and narrow at places and subject to avalanche. From Perpignan, it's OK up to Bourg-Madame and then the Carol valley is extremely steep and narrow and thus very avalanche-friendly. The Puymorens Pass (well you use the tunnel in the winter) can be a pain alright but again if it's closed, it's because it's dangerous. Don't forget Pas de la Casa is almost 2100m high. While access through Andorra is in a much wider valley and you can stop at Canillo at 1500m high or Soldeu at 1800m high. Now, up to you if you prefer losing a day or your life :p...

• Advertisement
Advertisement