Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a website. dont know much about computers

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

ejabrod wrote: »
    If you have built a site with Wicks it should already be live on the web. What is your website address (PM it if you prefer).

The course I linked will not remain free for long (may even be gone already). you can sign up, have lifetime access and use it whenever you get time (if you never use it, you have lost nothing)

Forgot to ask: where are you located?

How can it be live if I haven't connected my domain name?

Graham wrote: »
    You can connect your own domain to a Wix website but that option is only available to premium accounts:

https://www.wix.com/support/html5/article/connecting-a-domain-purchased-elsewhere

I was going to purchase the 12€ a month plan. I contacted hosting.ie where I bought my domain and this is what they replied below, but I don't fully understand it.

You will be able to connect your .is to a wix website but you might need to locate and provide six DNS record info as the problem has been with using wix named servers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

shugy wrote: »
    How can it be live if I haven't connected my domain name?

Apologies, didn't realise you had your own domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bob Rooney

As mentioned Wix have documentation on this: https://www.wix.com/support/html5/article/connecting-a-domain-purchased-elsewhere.

I've not read through the thread but I would imagine that you would want to log into your Control Panel and from there point your domain to the Wix nameservers. That would be the first link in section #1. Be aware that it can take some time for the nameservers to propagate after you have completed the process (I've personally never seen a period of longer than than 24 hours).

WRT Wix and .ie domains I would take what you where told with a pinch of salt. You apparently can not register a .ie domain with Wix (and I think that this is because .ie domains have certain requirements that other domains don't have) but as you have already registered your domain there is no problem. All you have to do is follow the steps in the first link of this post. For more on the Wix and i.e domains see here.

Bob Rooney wrote: »
    As mentioned Wix have documentation on this: https://www.wix.com/support/html5/article/connecting-a-domain-purchased-elsewhere.

I've not read through the thread but I would imagine that you would want to log into your Control Panel and from there point your domain to the Wix nameservers. That would be the first link in section #1. Be aware that it can take some time for the nameservers to propagate after you have completed the process (I've personally never seen a period of longer than than 24 hours).

WRT Wix and .ie domains I would take what you where told with a pinch of salt. You apparently can not register a .ie domain with Wix (and I think that this is because .ie domains have certain requirements that other domains don't have) but as you have already registered your domain there is no problem. All you have to do is follow the steps in the first link of this post. For more on the Wix and i.e domains see here.

When or if i do figer it out how to connect my domain to wix, do i go back to hosting.ie and ask them to host it or does wix do this for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

When or if i do figer it out how to connect my domain to wix, do i go back to hosting.ie and ask them to host it or does wix do this for me

You should be able to go to Wix DNS servers to see what your DNS are, will be similar to ns0.wixdns.net and ns1.wixdns.net

After you go to hosting.ie , in there there should be an option on your Domain to change the DNS to the above, might say something similar to ns0.hosting.ie and ns1.hosting.ie, just change to the above.

You already have hosting with WIX, you do not need to get more hosting.

With WIX are you getting a plan for €12? I assume is the Unlimited? why don't you go for the Combo that's only €8, if after a few months you need to change to the unlimited you can upgrade to a higher package you should be able to upgrade at anytime.

nava wrote: »
    You should be able to go to Wix DNS servers to see what your DNS are, will be similar to ns0.wixdns.net and ns1.wixdns.net

After you go to hosting.ie , in there there should be an option on your Domain to change the DNS to the above, might say something similar to ns0.hosting.ie and ns1.hosting.ie, just change to the above.

You already have hosting with WIX, you do not need to get more hosting.

With WIX are you getting a plan for €12? I assume is the Unlimited? why don't you go for the Combo that's only €8, if after a few months you need to change to the unlimited you can upgrade to a higher package you should be able to upgrade at anytime.

Yeah going with the unlimited, I thought this was the best option. If the 8euro combo is decent enough, I'll go with that. All I need the site for is pics, some text and maybe a video or 2. Think its 6 pages my site.

Yeah going with the unlimited, I thought this was the best option. If the 8euro combo is decent enough, I'll go with that. All I need the site for is pics, some text and maybe a video or 2. Think its 6 pages my site.

Do you want a contact form? Because it looks like you need the Unlimited account for that. The tricky b******s.

I went ahead with the combo plan! I've connected my domain through pointing thou it says on their site it's not recommended but went with it because that'll give my hosting in Ireland. That's what I've been advised anyway from someone I know. Wether that's true or not, I don't know but I went with it anyway.

Here below is what it says on the wix website concerning this. Did I make the right choice or will I change it? Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of both below.

Support & assistance: When you connect your domain to Wix by name servers, we can offer support and assist you in creating any DNS records you might need. Whereas if you connect to Wix by pointing you would need to contact your domain host with any domain/DNS related issues.

Feature updates are not automatic: We can automatically modify your DNS to accommodate any new feature that requires DNS changes. However, when choosing pointing you would need to manually make these changes with your domain host.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I went ahead with the combo plan! I've connected my domain through pointing thou it says on their site it's not recommended but went with it because that'll give my hosting in Ireland. That's what I've been advised anyway from someone I know. Wether that's true or not, I don't know but I went with it anyway..

It's not correct, your hosting is with Wix wherever their data centre is. The location of your DNS servers has no effect on the location of your hosting.

If it works, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're not likely to need the assistance of Wix to manage your DNS (name servers) and if you do need help your domain provider can provide it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Just make sure if you contact hosting.ie for help that they do not try sell you their hosting, I know someone who called them about how to change DNS servers to point to my hosting but they were talked into buying hosting with them, they said that to him that it's best to have hosting and domain with same provider and other stuff, he called them back a day later and got a full refund on the hosting.

Graham wrote: »
    It's not correct, your hosting is with Wix wherever their data centre is. The location of your DNS servers has no effect on the location of your hosting.

If it works, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're not likely to need the assistance of Wix to manage your DNS (name servers) and if you do need help your domain provider can provide it.

So if someone here in Ireland googles my .ie address, they'll find it quick enough even if wix is in America or wherever?

nava wrote: »
    Just make sure if you contact hosting.ie for help that they do not try sell you their hosting, I know someone who called them about how to change DNS servers to point to my hosting but they were talked into buying hosting with them, they said that to him that it's best to have hosting and domain with same provider and other stuff, he called them back a day later and got a full refund on the hosting.

When buying the combo plan, it asked me to type in DNS and other details into my hosting providers domain name. I couldn't find it so asked them to do it. They did this without any questions.

Now that I've built my site, will be live in 48 hours or so, how can I make it more reachable. Someone mentioned content, content, content. Does this mean, for example if I have 10 plastering pics, 10 painting pics etc.. Under each pic I put under it north Dublin plastering work or west coast painting a wall and if someone googles north Dublin plasterers, my site will come up?

Now that I've built my site, will be live in 48 hours or so, how can I make it more reachable. Someone mentioned content, content, content. Does this mean, for example if I have 10 plastering pics, 10 painting pics etc.. Under each pic I put under it north Dublin plastering work or west coast painting a wall and if someone googles north Dublin plasterers, my site will come up?

Google bots will eventually crawl and index your sites but this can take some time. It's an automated process. The bots that crawl your sites look for particular things like proper use of heading tags (e.g. each page should have one <h1> tag and your images have alt tags), page load speed, whether it's responsive and a bunch of other things besides.

The long and short of it is that if you want to get up Google rankings (not to mention other search engines) you can optimize your site yourself to a point (this isn't my area so I don't know the ins and outs) but ultimately you've probably have to pay Google.

Advertisement