Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Fiscal Treaty Yes or No

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

What was that joke about the difference between Ireland and Iceland again? You don't hear it so much these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Sully wrote: »
    Me? scaremongering? You stated twice that the EU was corrupt because their accounts were never audited. You were wrong. I'd put that down as scaremongering tbh. When you say "Eurozone" do you mean the European Union or the actual Eurozone itself? Either way, the Eurozone survived despite people reporting that it was about to collapse and Europ itself seems to be pulling through this mess despite people saying it was also on the brink.

You should watch this video.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There is no point speaking with you on this anymore, Finbar. You don't fully understand a lot of the points you raised and wont see beyond it even when your points were corrected. There are some people who will debate away and take points from both sides and others who wont, making them pointless to debate with bar making sure there points are corrected to prevent further confusion.

insight_man; Some points raised here were news to me and something I wasn't fully aware off. I'd love to know more about the whole contributing to the bailout fund (which I don't have a problem with in theory, but when we don't have the money and will have to pay even more interest - that's where I am concerned) so I want to chase that up a bit more. Also, in relation to how much the limit for debt actually would be.

I'm not entirely happy with saying there is no "alternative funding" to bailouts, when there is - its a question of how much, what terms, etc. which might not be as favourable as the EU fund. That's why I would prefer we accepted the bailout offer from Europe.

Are the cons to treaty? I think so, from what I understand. Are the cons outweighing the pros? Doesn't seem like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

There is no point speaking with you on this anymore, Finbar. You don't fully understand a lot of the points you raised and wont see beyond it even when your points were corrected. There are some people who will debate away and take points from both sides and others who wont, making them pointless to debate with bar making sure there points are corrected to prevent further confusion.

What a load of rubbish. You wanted proof that the EU is corrupt and I gave it to you. Giving more power to the EU is crazy, it would be similar to giving alcoholics control of a brewery.

I give it to you though, you and others on here have a religous like belief in politicians and their institutions. Best of luck with that.

And let's stop calling it the European Union, it's really the Franco-German union.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just another piece of information to put to everyone. You will have heard the phrase 'its just like taking out an insurance policy'..sounds reasonable. Insurance policies costs money...right.

The cost to Ireland of approving the treaty is €11.1 BILLION. Yes €11.1 BILLION. This is our contribution to the ESM fund in order to establish it. This is in addition to all the interest payments that will have to be made.

Now Ireland doesen't have the money to pay this...so what happens?

Ireland borrows the money at high interest rates from the Germans, French banks etc and then we pay vast amounts back in repayments. So a country that is essentially broke, if you believe that wisdom, gets into even deeper and deeper debt, while trying to get out of debt. The very same goes for Greece, Portugal and Italy and fairly soon Spain too.

However the Germans and the French and Dutch, because of their strong credit rating, simply has to put up guarantees but no hard cash, so it doesent cost them anything, but their banks and bond holders make billions of euro from the countries they are supposedly helping out like good neighbours.

A very very expensive insurance policy. The saying goes 'Beware of wolves in sheeps clothing'.

Okay, this was new to me so I spent a bit of time researching the claim.

Firstly, the emergency / bailout fund total is going to be €500bn (on top of €200 billion already committed to bailouts for Greece, Ireland and Portugal) funded by 17 euro area member states. An initial paid-in capital is required by all such states. For Ireland, we must pay initially €1.273bn in five equal instalments starting in July 2013. We have such money readily available without needing to draw down or ask for an additional loan by the state.

We do not need €11.3bn for "membership" as you describe. This figure you quote is our overall guaranteed sum in the event that the ESM draws down the full €500. So, like other states, if the ESM needs to give someone a massive bailout which means drawing down all funds available (ie €700bn) than that is where we would need to pay out.
    Didn't look it up in the dictionary but paying €11.13 Billion for membership of the ESM probably fits the bill. That along with the interest payable on the €11.13 Billion could certainly be described as austerity.

As above. This figure is incorrect in the terms of how you describe it and there is no interest payable.
    Funding will be available there is no doubt about that. Certainly you'll hear the scary stories that we won't have money to pay social welfare, nurses, teachers etc. How many times have we heard that line from the FG/Lab government. The same people who said a yes vote to lisbon would bring jobs, investment, security, keep our young people at home etc. remember all that? The same people who are now cutting wages, social welfare, nurses, doctors, guards, education and special needs budgets, just like the previous government.

It has already been established that there will be funding available. There are many sources for funding. Like here at home, the bank & credit union may refuse you a loan but you can pop into your local loan shark. The problem? The terms are unknown, we have no idea how much we can get or how much we will have to pay back. Its very unlikely they will offer better rates than the ESM, therefore, austerity will be harsher.
    The euro will NOT be allowed to fail because Ireland 'owes' billions to German, French and other banks and they all want their money back, plus an unravelling of the euro is disastrous for those very same countries. All All economists and bankers have said this already over the last few years.

This isn't about the Euro failing or not. Plenty of economists are backing the treaty also.
    So we will have availability of money, especially as we have passed every exaamination of our finances by the trioka since we went into the current programme. As a result our government has been telling us that our reputation is being restored and that we won't even need a second loan anyway, so the issue is unlikly to arise in the first place.

Its also about looking ahead - who would have expected this bailout to be needed? Who is to say that we wont get another economic crisis and require additional funding?
    However if we vote yes to the austerity treaty the certainity that a number of very important and crippling things will happen to Ireland because its part of the treaty:

We must pay €11.13 billion into the ESM fund, as our contribution, a very expensive 'insurance' policy

Incorrect, already explained this.
    We must also reduce our debt to GDP ratio beyond the current 3% target (which is currently crippling the country) to 0.5%. If we can't reach 3% how do you think we reach 0.5%? Just imagine the cuts needed and the social chaos that will entail.

The government have already acknowledged they wont reach this target. Treaty or no treaty, this is a problem we have. There is no sign of harsher austerity as the EU/IMF have given us the "green light" in each review of the bailout programme and are saying we are meeting the requirements.
    Lastly we must comply immeadiatly with the 60% rule. This means we must lower our debt to 60% of our GDP. That gap is estimated to be (almost exactly) €100 Billion by all leading economists. This gap must be reduced at a rate of 5% over 20 years (know as the 1/20 rule). This means FUTHER cuts of €5 Billion per year on top of all the other cuts ie: (5b x 20 = €100 billion) -Ireland cannot now nor ever will be able for such harsh measures.

This is one of the parts of the Treaty which is there already in EU law. This will not change even if we vote No.

The process of reducing our debt to 60% of GDP will be a gradual process, happening over many years. Ireland will not have to begin this process until 2019.

Economic growth can be expected to do a lot of the heavy lifting. In the 1990s, we reduced our debt-to-GDP ratio from 95% to 35% through economic growth. This is what we need to do again.

Reducing our debt ratio is in our own interests irrespective of this Treaty. Otherwise, we will continue to spend a huge amount of our taxation revenue (20% at present) paying interest on our national debt, when it could be spent on schools and hospitals.
    Finally, if we fail to make these 'adjustments' the European Court will fine us €120 million per year, as a slap on the hand. So that really helps us out of our troubles.

Hope this clarifies the real hard issues for you and the real questions you must ask yourself, ie how much money this is really going to cost us and can we afford it. Ireland simply cannot survive these measures without destroying any semblence of a caring society. Without leaving total destruction behind.

The measures outlined above will be EU law and will be enforced by the European Court and the unelected commissioners, so there is no 'pulling out' afterwards. We can just about pull back from the abyss at this stage, before the vote, but if we vote yes what has happened here already will be the proverbial walk in the park. Yes or no...you decide.

One would hope that by 2019 we won't be in such a situation.
    Interesting view on prudent budgeting Max Powers.

But consider this in your quest for information and making an informed choice on prudential budgeting and if that concept fits with this treaty:

Article 4 of the Fiscal Compact Treaty also known as the Austerity Treaty, requires contracting parties (us) to bring our debt to GDP ratio to 60%. This is known as the 1/20th rule. It requires the contracting party (us) to reduce any imbalance in our deficit by 1/20 per year of the figure that exceeds 60%, until the 60% is reached.

Most economists estimate (because it's looking forward a bit, it's not possible to state the figure to the nearest cent) that our 'imbalance' in 2015 will be €100 billion. Therefore this rule, which becomes EU law and enforcable by the European Court, means that Ireland will have to introduce cuts and savings of €5 billion per year...for 20 years (5 x 20 = 100)

This is on top and in addition to, any cuts already required / planned under the current programme which is for 2 or 3 more budgets.

Most economists have said that Ireland cannot and will not survive such a programme, without destroying the very fabric of Irish society.

This provision gave rise to the term Permenant Austerity. I'm sure you can see the cause and effects for yourself.

As a numbers person consider this also. Irelands 'insurance' policy ie the ESM, requires us to pay €11.13 billion into the fund. No options, no choices this is the figure.

Ireland does not have the money, so we borrow the money at high interest rates (from German & French banks etc), then try to pay it back with further cuts, higher taxes and charges etc.

You would have to consider all this when you talk about 'prudential budgeting'. It can be argued that this process is the direct opposite to the prudential budgeting you are in favour of.

I hope this post helps you and other boards members when trying to make up your mind wheather to vote yes or no.

I have addressed all of that. Its an exaggeration and scaremongering, as it twists the actual facts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 andycapp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Interesting view on prudent budgeting Max Powers.

But consider this in your quest for information and making an informed choice on prudential budgeting and if that concept fits with this treaty:

Article 4 of the Fiscal Compact Treaty also known as the Austerity Treaty, requires contracting parties (us) to bring our debt to GDP ratio to 60%. This is known as the 1/20th rule. It requires the contracting party (us) to reduce any imbalance in our deficit by 1/20 per year of the figure that exceeds 60%, until the 60% is reached.

Most economists estimate (because it's looking forward a bit, it's not possible to state the figure to the nearest cent) that our 'imbalance' in 2015 will be €100 billion. Therefore this rule, which becomes EU law and enforcable by the European Court, means that Ireland will have to introduce cuts and savings of €5 billion per year...for 20 years (5 x 20 = 100)

This is on top and in addition to, any cuts already required / planned under the current programme which is for 2 or 3 more budgets.

Most economists have said that Ireland cannot and will not survive such a programme, without destroying the very fabric of Irish society.

This provision gave rise to the term Permenant Austerity. I'm sure you can see the cause and effects for yourself.

As a numbers person consider this also. Irelands 'insurance' policy ie the ESM, requires us to pay €11.13 billion into the fund. No options, no choices this is the figure.

Ireland does not have the money, so we borrow the money at high interest rates (from German & French banks etc), then try to pay it back with further cuts, higher taxes and charges etc.

You would have to consider all this when you talk about 'prudential budgeting'. It can be argued that this process is the direct opposite to the prudential budgeting you are in favour of.

I hope this post helps you and other boards members when trying to make up your mind wheather to vote yes or no.

I see Ireland's most important task to 'balance the budget' ASAP. Those figures of 5billion for 20 years are scary and you're right it would kill Ireland, but im sceptical if those facts are totally correct. I think we are borrowing 18billion (approx) a year at the moment so I thought the EU wanted us to get that sorted first and there was special allowances for Ireland, Greece, Portugal with Regard to GDP ratios on that issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

I am voting no.

I really believe a no vote will at least give some voice to the regular Irish Citizen and not those at the top of Irish Society - the so called vested interests - who still never have to worry about having to pay a bill or whether they will they have money if there is a family emergency.

Also, I firmly believe we will still have access to funding as the EU do not want the 'EU project' to fail. They will contrive another grandiose form of words for a bail out such as 'Short Term Funding for the European Economic Reconstruction Support Facility for Smaller Member States'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

until this FG/Lab govt. have the liathroidi to tell the german gamblers where to go, and cut the stupidly high salaries and expenses they and the high public service are getting, start to realise that taxing is no way out of a recession.. until then I will oppose them at every turn.

the euro will not be allowed to collapse, nor will the EU (while it is in the vested interest of the germans and french) these threats that are being made to the Irish people about harder budgets, no more bailout money (loans) are false threats and should be seen as such..

honestly, I just cant believe anything this turncoat govt says anymore, there are other options which should be looked at, and for the sake of self interest and self preservation, straws are being clutched at in Dail Eireann. Shame shame shame on you FG/Lab

PS: I will be voting NO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Bards

"It's the Economy - Stupid"

Our political masters should learn this.

The Economy is there to serve the people (Electorate) and not the People to serve the Economy.

In my opinion our Governing class consider themselves like royalty and have not learned from the mistakes of FF/Greens. They are going down the same road to ruin with broken promises of how they were not going to pay the bondholders.

So I (And countless others) am voting NO until the government starts to listen to the very people who elected them and start being respectful to the electorate because we can and will throw them out just like we did to FF/Greens.

Civil War politics is over and we will not vote for someone just because they were on the right or left in the so called war.

By Voting NO we can get a better deal from the Troika, because they will and cannot let the Irish Economy fail, because if Ireland fails so does the Euro

and by better deal, I mean, we can shove the bank debt back where it belongs at the door of the ECB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I'm voting no, because we the people have the power to tell those feckers in Europe where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Turnstyle

I am still undecided but leaning towards a No vote, I will educate myself further before voting day. At present it looks to me that a yes vote will lead to more a lot more austerity/problems than a no vote in the long run.

I hope everyone will realize that the current government should not be listened to for guidance on this (or FF/S Fein for that matter), if this treaty detailed that a kidney from every newborn in Ireland for the next ten years will be given to the EU they would still try and convince you this is a good deal for Ireland, they are inept, deceitful lying scum that cannot be trusted.

They continue to run this country as if we have endless funds, they are making zero effort at attaining realistic savings and increasing efficiency, merely making people think they are... they still will not stand up to unions, bankers or anyone for that matter except maybe the odd easy swing at the church..

I felt that the most recent budget was surprisingly generous given the state of the economy, I really believe that this is because the government believes this treaty will be carried and effectively someone else will be writing our future tougher budgetary terms (that we voted for)

One side of me is saying that a no vote and less easy access to borrowed money (not zero access, mind) would be a good thing but another side fears that the government solution to a deficit would simply be crippling PAYE taxes and motor/property taxes... it think the latter is the most likely given their record to date

All this spin that a no vote will lead to no inward investment, no jobs due to instability and your head will simply explode and fall off etc... is a load of scaremongering boll1x imo

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Slozer

I'm voting no. I firmly believe that nobody can repay a debt by continuing on the road of borrowing and that the solution is not more loans but less.

If the troika decide that we dont get any more loans we simply will not have any money to pay the bond holders of failed banks. Its within europe's interest to keep giving us money and our politicians should be using this to play poker but instead the spineless gits are playing some arse licking competition.

The bottom line is the country will have to pay for the overspending that went on. Its a simple choice between borrowing, more loans, more interest and more of the same of what we have seen for the past few years prolonged over a long period of time, or we can take it on the chin and go a route similar to Iceland. It wont be pretty either way but I feel that the heavy pain and the quick recovery is better than a prolonged painfull process which will cripple this country for a long time.

Interesting theory, but I would have thought the IMF/others would give us funding just a lot stricter. I suspect this government don't want to re-run it, at least not in the immediate future, after the last time a government did. They have ruled it out, but obviously we don't take much notice of that.

The expense and hassle of running this, it seems daft to re-run. I don't suspect that there will be any drastic change to the treaty, there is nothing to indicate it will change and the treaty is all about setting spending rules (will that increase/decrease?) and the rescue fund membership (will they withdraw it? Doubt it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

andycapp wrote: »
    watch this it's only 3 mins long http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPcWHBPYOSU&feature=player_embedded[/QUOTE]

the worst thing people could do is go watch this "truth movement" alex jones ,propangada freemen shyte..........

however with FF launching their yes campaign today , i am now sure of going no in the referendum, how could anyone vote the same way a crowd that comitted the most treasonous act in irish history, the bank guarantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

Hoffmans wrote: »
    andycapp wrote: »
    watch this it's only 3 mins long http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPcWHBPYOSU&feature=player_embedded[/QUOTE]

the worst thing people could do is go watch this "truth movement" alex jones ,propangada freemen shyte..........

however with FF launching their yes campaign today , i am now sure of going no in the referendum, how could anyone vote the same way a crowd that comitted the most treasonous act in irish history, the bank guarantee?

Very good reasoning. I agree

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    You should watch this video.

Just watched it. Its frightening stuff really. This is the crowd that we are being asked to hand over just about all sovernity to if a yes vote wins the Austerity Treaty.

Our country and its people is being sold down the river by a so called Irish government.

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish. You wanted proof that the EU is corrupt and I gave it to you. Giving more power to the EU is crazy, it would be similar to giving alcoholics control of a brewery.

I give it to you though, you and others on here have a religous like belief in politicians and their institutions. Best of luck with that.

And let's stop calling it the European Union, it's really the Franco-German union.

Fully agree with you there. No European Union just a club for big countries. No democracy, not answerable to anyone, a power elite running the club for their benefit rather than the betterment of the people of Europe.

This has to stop before all individual countries are just effectively done away with, with the help of their own governments to make it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

The leaflet that was delivered to every household has only 16 parts to it but it has 24 on the EU website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

200motels wrote: »
    The leaflet that was delivered to every household has only 16 parts to it but it has 24 on the EU website.
    the booklet came in this morning,cant dechiper it",something about contracting, stressing ,noting & bearing in mind " gone to recycling already.....
    how could anyone vote yes to something so complicated that only a eurocrat could understand, if at all....

• Advertisement

Today's 6.01 news RTE. HSE said paitents waiting on trollies down 16%. The nurses said its worse now than at any time before.

Nurses said it was down to budget cuts and ward closures, job cuts etc.

Yet the yes campaign claim further cuts enshrined in the Austerity Treaty will be good for us? Does anyone really believe this? Its like trying to cure a sick paitent by giving them poison!!

Today's 6.01 news RTE. HSE said paitents waiting on trollies down 16%. The nurses said its worse now than at any time before.

Nurses said it was down to budget cuts and ward closures, job cuts etc.

Yet the yes campaign claim further cuts enshrined in the Austerity Treaty will be good for us? Does anyone really believe this? Its like trying to cure a sick paitent by giving them poison!!

Seriously now, its completely stupid (not you personally) thing to suggest that the treaty will 1) Cause more austerity and 2) Has any link at all with the HSE / Hospitals.

Many economists, many multi national companies such as Paypal and Microsoft, many big unions based on jobs are all backing this treaty and are pointing out the obvious flaw in the argument - without access to the EU fund, or with harsher rules if they ignore the treaty and bail us out anyway, we will face MORE austerity and not any LESS. Why? Because the terms and the interest rates will be harsher than we are currently getting, meaning we pay back more and will be required to make harsher cuts and increase in taxes. Never mind the fact how it makes us politically unstable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Will be voting no

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Slozer

No democracy, not answerable to anyone, a power elite running the club for their benefit rather than the betterment of the people of Europe.

Yes,

and if this continues it will only end one way - violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I see the German government are looking to postpone their ratifying of the Treaty, some of them want amendments - sure what the hell are we actually voting on ourselves if the Treaty is subject to change? I though the Treaty as it is now is what we are voting on, but now it could be a newer version only published a week before we vote? WTF is going on?

I'm voting No anyway, fcuk them, they cannot be trusted any more. And I voted Yes to Lisbon 1 & 2, and voted FG in the General Election. Gave them the benefit of doubt, but can't believe a word they say any more.

I see the German government are looking to postpone their ratifying of the Treaty, some of them want amendments - sure what the hell are we actually voting on ourselves if the Treaty is subject to change? I though the Treaty as it is now is what we are voting on, but now it could be a newer version only published a week before we vote? WTF is going on?

Not sure where you heard that, but you could be mixing it up with the theory that the French president wishes to amend the treaty? My understanding was that he wants a growth pack, and not nit pick at the treaty.
    I'm voting No anyway, fcuk them, they cannot be trusted any more. And I voted Yes to Lisbon 1 & 2, and voted FG in the General Election. Gave them the benefit of doubt, but can't believe a word they say any more.

People shouldn't vote no to stick two fingers up at the government, to be fair. They should be voting purely on the treaty and whether or not you believe the possibility of leaving the Euros Emergency Fund (which is what the treaty is stating would happen) and come a second bailout we would be looking at other sources which 1) Will probably have a higher interest rate, 2) Have stricter terms. The other side of the treaty is whether you think that the Irish government should be held to strict spending rules and if they ignore it they get a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Ill be voting no

Part 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKYr0gnWwfU&feature=relmfu

Part 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfd7nmvbVTE&feature=relmfu

Part 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rje_nW9h98c&feature=relmfu
    they should be voting purely on the treaty and whether or not you believe the possibility of leaving the Euros Emergency Fund (which is what the treaty is stating would happen) and come a second bailout we would be looking at other sources which 1) Will probably have a higher interest rate, 2) Have stricter terms. The other side of the treaty is whether you think that the Irish government should be held to strict spending rules and if they ignore it they get a fine.

Governments have this country in ****, one half has no idea what goes on (or so were led to believe) and the other half are fiddeling the books for expenses. As we are at the moment it is inevitable that we get this "Emergency Fund" and with that emergency funding comes threats of fines, complete loss of how finances are controlled and a dramatic decrease in ever getting sovereignty back. not to mention handing the government a complete cop out on why the tax payer is footing the bill AGAIN "sorry everybody, EU says so, hands are tied"

Make them earn there big salaries and pensions, make them get the country back on track

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

People shouldn't vote no to stick two fingers up at the government, to be fair. They should be voting purely on the treaty and whether or not you believe the possibility of leaving the Euros Emergency Fund (which is what the treaty is stating would happen) and come a second bailout we would be looking at other sources which 1) Will probably have a higher interest rate, 2) Have stricter terms. The other side of the treaty is whether you think that the Irish government should be held to strict spending rules and if they ignore it they get a fine.

I don't believe for one minute (and nor do a lot of people) that the EU would leave us swinging in the wind when it comes to another bailout. You just watch what happens with Greece, Merkel will huff and puff and eventually there will be measures to ensure that austerity is less harsh in Greece.

A government shouldn't need a treaty to ensure that they don't overspend but conversely there are some occasions where it may be advisable or necessary for a government to pump money into the economy and this treaty will stop them from doing that.

Also I think its criminal that the government didn't get a debt writedown in exchange for putting through this treaty. Its like whenever our politicians go to Brussels they're like deer caught in the headlights...and inevitably get crushed by Germany and France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Not sure where you heard that, but you could be mixing it up with the theory that the French president wishes to amend the treaty? My understanding was that he wants a growth pack, and not nit pick at the treaty.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/sf-willing-to-debate-treaty-on-tv-germany-delays-ratification-550842.html

If even the Germans are not fully happy with the Treaty then......
    I'm not doing it to stick two fingers up at the government, I just don't believe a word they say any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I was actually going to vote yes because I thought the time for alternative strategies had long gone (i.e. I think the Government - and the previous one - have chosen the wrong strategy but the wheels had already been set in motion and deviating from it would be even worse for the country).

However, I'm now most likely going to vote No given how the tide seems to be changing across Europe and there's an opportunity to fall in behind other countries such as France, who would have far more clout in Europe than we could ever hope to!

Advertisement