Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ski Clothing Recommendations

• 08-11-2007 9:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am going on my first skiing trip in Feb and, as the title suggests, I would like some recommended brands for Ski trousers, jackets etc...

I am not looking to spend a fortune but I also dont want to throw away cash on items that will only last the week I'm away.

I have looked in TKMaxx and 53 North so I have seem some brand names like Columbia,Trespass etc...

Can anyone give a thumbs up / down for them and /or recommend some other places to shop?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I prefer wool, natural down (rather than synthetic fill), and a GorTex shell (cause it breathes yet shields you from moisture).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Places to shop in Dublin

Great Outdoors: Just off Grafton street, probably the best selection in Dublin that I know of

BLVD: again near Grafton street. I called in Yesterday and they said they were getting thirtytwo stock in for late november.

Onboard: Again its just off Grafton street in a little shopping centre they do some nice stuff but I havent been in for a while

TKMaxx

Someone also mentioned to me that a shop is opening in the St Stephens Green center that till sell just ski/snow gear.

On a brand note, Helly Hanson does good relatively cheap gear, girls Jackets around €160

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Quazzy.

This is just some advice take it as you will. When I started Sking/Snowboarding I got all my gear in TkMaxx for ~350 (Socks, Goggles the works) they did me fine for the week. But at the end of the week I knew straight away two things: 1 was hooked on Snow, 2: I needed some new gear

The next year I went back I got myself a decent set of Oakley goggles which really made a difference and some new Snowboards pants which also made a huge difference. The pants completly keep out the snow and are so comfortable Im still using them now 4-5 years later and I love em! My goggles have also lasted me for 4-5 years although they are getting upgraded this year. The Tkmax jacket lasted me 3 years and a season in NZ before I chucked it.

My point being is you can easily go out and spend a small fortune on just your clothes but what if you dont actually like skiing? or next year you cant go for some reason..its a lot of money to have spent for 1 weeks holidays. Try and see if you can borrow as much Ski Clothes as you can on your first trip that way you wont lose any money and if you like it you can always get good clothes next year. Most people only go for 1 week a year so 99% of the time their gear is not in use. Even if you could borrow a Jacket + decent goggles you could then go out and get a decent pair of pants for €100 or so that would do you for a few years.

Failing that the shops I listed above do some decent gear and would be happy to help you. I can also post some websites if you prefer to shop online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Places to shop in Dublin
    On a brand note, Helly Hanson does good relatively cheap gear, girls Jackets around €160

Thanks for the info but I'm all man....

I'll tell the missus though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Quazzy.

This is just some advice take it as you will. When I started Sking/Snowboarding I got all my gear in TkMaxx for ~350 (Socks, Goggles the works) they did me fine for the week. But at the end of the week I knew straight away two things: 1 was hooked on Snow, 2: I needed some new gear

The next year I went back I got myself a decent set of Oakley goggles which really made a difference and some new Snowboards pants which also made a huge difference. The pants completly keep out the snow and are so comfortable Im still using them now 4-5 years later and I love em! My goggles have also lasted me for 4-5 years although they are getting upgraded this year. The Tkmax jacket lasted me 3 years and a season in NZ before I chucked it.

My point being is you can easily go out and spend a small fortune on just your clothes but what if you dont actually like skiing? or next year you cant go for some reason..its a lot of money to have spent for 1 weeks holidays. Try and see if you can borrow as much Ski Clothes as you can on your first trip that way you wont lose any money and if you like it you can always get good clothes next year. Most people only go for 1 week a year so 99% of the time their gear is not in use. Even if you could borrow a Jacket + decent goggles you could then go out and get a decent pair of pants for €100 or so that would do you for a few years.

Failing that the shops I listed above do some decent gear and would be happy to help you. I can also post some websites if you prefer to shop online.

Hey Static,

Thanks for the extra post and you make a very good point - "What if I don't like skiing?"

I don't know why but I think I'm gonna like it a lot. Perhaps its due to years of throwing myself down some incline on a bike, skateboard or rollerblades in my youth.

I always wanted to go but never got around to it.

I have a few ppl that I could probably borrow items so maybe I'll do that and save my money for the next time.

Thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I got a super Trespass Radium jacket in TK Maxx for €80, it was €192 or something, its the type of jacket you could wear anywhere all winter. Got columbia trousers there too but I'm not gone on them, they have the shoulder strap things and I'm not sure if that'll be good for boarding. They were €80 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

TK Maxx have aload of Section snowboarding stuff in at the moment. It is a relativity new brand on the market but it is from the guys that designed for Burton in the past & is of the highest quality IMO.

I got myself a really nice jacket (10,000gm/mm) for €160 that retails for over €200 online. They also have a ton of pants (5,000gm/mm) for around €70 plus excellent quality gloves for €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

The Nike outlet store in Kildare Vilage have a good stock of ski/snowboard stuff at the moment. I got a GoreTex jacket ($150) and GoreTex trousers ($120) yesterday. Whe you buy two ACG items the cheapest one is half price so the trousers were reduced to $60. This is an amazing price for GoreTex stuff, and there is a decent range of stuff there..

The stuff is really excellent quality imho, but the colours on the jacket I picked could be better ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    The stuff is really excellent quality imho, but the colours on the jacket I picked could be better ...
    So long as you don't start skiing in a flourescent one piece jumpsuit type getup then the colours really don't matter. Although white is probably a bad idea to wear for winter clothing on a mountain, unless your some kind of special forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Starting next Monday, The LIDL weeks special is ski stuff. Suits/gloves/socks/ski boot bags. it may be worth checking out if it's your first time skiing and you don't want to buy anything expensive.

Linky: http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20071119.index

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 baldoyle1

Hi all,
    We are planning on taking our first sking Holiday next year, can anyone advise me on the best resorts for familimes . Do I need to book ski lessons ,ski lift passes and ski equipment in advace berore I go, if so any recommendations. How many ski jackets, pants is needed per person for a 10 day trip. We have 3 children under 7 and 2 teenageres so looking for a resort that caters for both age groups on and off the slopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

TkMAXX is your friend a couple of simple check that will keep you right, each jacket should have a tag with some info on it about water proofing and breathability the figures below will help. All of the brands they are carry are more than enough for any 1st timer and beyond.

Waterproofing – 10,000mm or greater anything less than this and you will be wet. Anything above 15,000 will probably be Gortex or High end manufacturer in house fabric similar to Gortex. I would not wear anything with less than 20,000mm protection but with good reason for the stuff I do, 10,000 – 15,00 should do you fine.

Breathability Measured in - g/24hrs/m2 the higher the better as it will allow moisture from sweat to wick away from the body instead of staying inside!!! Again though 10,000 is the magic number here.

Tapered Seams, shiny coating used to waterproof seams/Pockets or anywhere else water will get in.

A good jacket can be used for the harshest of Irish winters so look at it as an investment rather than just for skiing, Most of the stuff in TK Makk from Dare to B to Trespass, Spyder and the Nike/Quicksilver/Phynx stuff is good quality stuff.

In Dublin Snow and Rock in Dundrum and Great Outdoors in Chatam St are the main shops but can be pricey. 53Degrees is the most expensive of the three. AVOID LIDIL/ALDI there gear is never up to the job and not breathable you will be cold and wet wearing it.

You will need;

A good jacket with 10,000 waterproofing or greater. (Prefrebly a shell)

Salopets (Pants) Again 10,000 waterproofing or greater.

Good Base layers, you may already have some of these? Warm with good wicking characteristics, (2-3) Depending on how smelly you are. Again TK Maxx Carry Trespassa, Mammut and Dare2be baselayers.

Mid Layer, Fleece or a good warm top to go under your jacket especially if you have a shell. Heavier jackets will need less layers underneath

Good Socks, do not skimp spend some cash here & it will be worth it one pair for every day or 1 for every two days at least.

Good Gloves; Again do not skimp so worth it, TK Makk regularly have gloves from Reusch, Leki and Levil, Mammut all excellent brands with top quality stuff. Also if you can pick up thinner thermal gloves for walking around in there are always good to have and can act as a spare.

Googles are not overly required for your 1st trip you can pick up a cheap pair in resort if you really need them, and it is chucking snow all week. If they have chep ones in TK Maxx grab them.

Static M.e
    Onboard: Again its just off Grafton street in a little shopping centre they do some nice stuff but I havent been in for a while – That is because they went bankrupt 2 years ago and have been closed since.

baldoyle1 - See below
    Best Resorts – Most of the Austrian ones, St Johann in Tirol / Mayrhofe /Ski Welt area/ Lermoos /Saalbach/ In France Tignes, or Chatel might work. Italyl Sauze Deux, Sestriaer

Ski Lift passes – No discounts here unless the Tour operator is giving them for free or the resort does a Kids under 16 ski free. (Mostlly in Switzerland and the saving does not compensate for the rest of the prices)

Ski Equipment – Avoid the TO deal do some internet searching in the resort you are going and you will probably get a better deal direct with a shop. If you are a first timer get the most basic skis and mid-range boots.

One pair of jackets and pants to ski in is fine and most resorts are very casual for after. The kids will be wasted after a day skiing so once the hotel has a pool and the odd off hill activity you will be fine. Most kids fall asleep in their dinner ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 baldoyle1

Thanks for all that information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

baldoyle1 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    We are planning on taking our first sking Holiday next year, can anyone advise me on the best resorts for familimes . Do I need to book ski lessons ,ski lift passes and ski equipment in advace berore I go, if so any recommendations. How many ski jackets, pants is needed per person for a 10 day trip. We have 3 children under 7 and 2 teenageres so looking for a resort that caters for both age groups on and off the slopes.

Hi I take it from your user name that you are close to Dublin. To make sure that you are all interested in it you might try the dry slopes in Kilternan. There are often adds up in the reception offering secondhand childrens clothing. Most resorts are family friendly Id stay away from Italy as accomadation is small. With that size of family you might need to look at an apartment. The children will need lessons, be prepared to spend about 180euro for 6 day lessens per person. The ski passes will be expensive France seems to be the most expensive. Children under 6 generally dont need a pass. France offer half day lessons which might suit if you are a sporty family. Most hire places have online sales and they offer 10% discount for online bookings I know in Austria if the parents hire their equipment that the childrens are free. Last year we got our ski and boot hire for 2 adults and 4 kids for 180 euro for 6 days. As for ski wear we picked up suits from Lidl and aldi for the children as they would only last 2 years at the most. We picked up cheap suit for the missus until she decided that that she really wanted to ski. You need to bring layers rather than heavy clothes. We have the helly hanson body warmers top only and then a poloneck shirt long sleeved for each day and I would get proper sking socks as they fit the boots. The most important thing is to make sure the boots are confortable this could take an hour on the first morning. The adult boots need to be as comfortable as possible you need to walk in them for 15 to 20 minutes after you get them. The children especially the younger ones never seemed to mind the boots. The younger children will need lessons, so will yourselves the older children might pick it up themselves but in my opinion I would get them lessons even if it was only 3 days. We have skied every year for the last 7 years we are cheap skates. I book an apartment for the off season and fly Ryanair if possible then hire a car to get to the resort hire off the rynair site gives good rates. Arriving on a Saturday means you need to stop somewherre to stock up on food as the shops dont open on Sunday.

Hope this helps a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Fattes wrote: »
    AVOID LIDIL/ALDI there gear is never up to the job and not breathable you will be cold and wet wearing it.

I'd have to disagree here, I know plenty of people who are & were perfectly happy with their Lidl/Aldi gear, and used it a few years running. As a first timer, it's a cheaper way to get kitted out for the slopes. No point splashing out on stuff you might mothball.

If you're in Belfast (or UK/France), Decathlon is great for all things ski related.

I'd have to disagree here

Beginners sweat allot, and if the clothes are not breathable they will get wet. None of Aldi/Lidil gear is breathable. Its false economy and you will pay for it in the long run.

For an extra 10-15 Euro you will get 10 times the quality and performance in TX Maxx.
    try the dry slopes in Kilternan. There are often adds up in the reception offering secondhand childrens clothing.

Nothing on the boards right now, but will falg on here if anything comes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

my tuppence worth as a newbie.

i went last year for the 1st time and spent a while researching online and got all the above advice.

having went and returning in a few months this is what i found.

a good ski jacket is a must.
    i just took my northface triclimate last year and although it didnt ruin my experience it was no good , i found it didnt breathe well and lack of snow skirt meant with all the falling snow was getting inside the jacket.
    i wouldnt pay much more than 50 euros though , you should be able to find a decent one for that , look at the tkmaxx red labels and discount rails in the sports shops , might be lucky , also 2nd hand on ebay etc.
    as mentioned deathlon in belfast or sports direct on boucher road , they do nevica stuff that was deadly cheap last year!

thats about the only thing id change from last year to be honest.
    suppose make sure the jacket and trousers are good quality.

for bargains they had these chain of shops in belfast , blacks and some other name , they were going bust anyways and had so much cheap ski gear!!!
    my OH got the full kit including northface boots for 50 quid!
    the billabong shop at junction one was going bust too and i got a really nice jacket for 20 quid , so maybe worth mentioning that if you look out over the coming months you will pick the stuff up cheap!

good luck , youll really enjoy it , i am utterly hooked and cant wait for feb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

olaola wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree here, I know plenty of people who are & were perfectly happy with their Lidl/Aldi gear, and used it a few years running. As a first timer, it's a cheaper way to get kitted out for the slopes. No point splashing out on stuff you might mothball.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here and agree with Fattes. A little bit extra money spent in TK Max will leave you with something far better than the aldi/lidl stuff. Breathability and waterproof clothing is really important. Resort conditions are so varied you can have really sunny, warm mornings followed by freezing afternoons. Even skiing from one side of the mountain to the other changes the conditions. I spent the first week in lidl gear and found it way too hot a lot of the time and any wettish days I just got soaked.

I would say it is even more important if you snowboard rather than ski. I board so I spend a massive amount of time on my ass (not always by choice!) and the lidl gear left me with a very wet ass and having to leave all my gear on the radiator over night. Got a oakley jacket in the outlet stores in the us and pant in TK and they are far superior.

The gear is also really useful for the weather we get around Christmas now. Obviously as a boarder I'm bound to buy ridiculous looking jackets that can't really be worn outside of ski resorts, but you don't have to do that.

Not every town in Ireland has a TK Maxx, so it's not the end of the world if you grab some Aldi/Lidl stuff. Of course some higher quality gear bought at discount is going to be better. No complaints from some members of our group who wear it year on year. And throughout the winters here too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I would not slate the Aldi/Lidl gear. Some of the TK Maax stuff is rubbish too. If I have too much on for the temperature-breatable or not, you overheat, sweat etc.
    A common problem first timers make is wearing the wrong under clothes and fabrics under the jacket, and crucially next to skin. Thats a recipie for cold and wet-especially after lunch.
    Base layers (from Lidl/Aldi) have served me very well for years and I recomend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I bought a Trespass ski set last year on mandmdirect.com and it was fantastic quality and very cheap. It was more expensive than Lidl stuff but not by much and I would imagine that I'll have it for a few years. And there was a nice choice of colours which is just vital!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

olaola wrote: »
    Not every town in Ireland has a TK Maxx, so it's not the end of the world if you grab some Aldi/Lidl stuff. Of course some higher quality gear bought at discount is going to be better. No complaints from some members of our group who wear it year on year. And throughout the winters here too.

FYI Lidl are stocking the ski this Thurs the 1st Nov.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-FB8A19D3-930CD0EA/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=25714

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I got my Ski Jacket in TK last year, it was 850 in a shop and I paid 150 in TK. Good jacket is an investment, you can use it hear as well as skiing. I heard that TK are starting to get their ski stock now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

after seeing that LIDL have their ski stock in
    good excuse for this skit by t tiernan on the irish skiing :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4w1INC6uJY

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

Not sure if this is appropriate to anyone in here at the moment as most seem to be from Dublin but for people looking for gear in Cork, Matthews on Lavitts Quay are running a pre season ski sale at the moment. I was in the other day and they had Trespass, Roxy, White Rock, Degree7 and a few other brands for half price. For any girls there was roxy salopettes for 50 quid, the misses got a lovely pink pair... typical :D Oh and they had Oakley glasses and goggles for half price too, no polarised goggles but they did have polarised sunnies :)

StormGazer.11; Tips on cheap gear is always relevant and welcome:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

My advice would be to layer under your jacket. If possible merino baselayers. I have always found myself cold to start and then roasting so you can take a few layers off. Sometimes when starting off you end up going up & down the same short slope repeatedly and when you get hot you will end up taking off your jacket so you need something decent under your jacket.

If you are going to try snowboarding a decent pair of pants are essential as you will spend a lot of time sitting on your ass :D there is nothing worse than being soggy (trust me i've been there)

I have bought gear all around the place. the key with tk maxx is to ensure you are buying a decent brand with proper breathable waterproofing. Either have a look in the expensive shops before you go or look things up before buying.

Get a set of trousers/jacket with decent pockets on the outside as you will want somewhere to stuff your gloves/hat/tissues/wallet/key to apt/camera and you do not want to be opening your jacket if its cold and snowy.

lnvest in decent gloves sweaty or soggy hands are annoying.

Also your socks are key to enjoying the week! I am assuming you will be in rental boots so you need decent socks to help avoid blisters. Personally I prefer the socks with proper heels in them as the tube ones can slip down and bunch if your boots dont fit properly.

You also need either really decent sunglasses or goggles

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭StormGazer.11

TK Max has got their grubby paws on some Spyder gear for anyone looking for a SERIOUS deal on some amazing jackets :) I spotted a lovely Gortex shell with all the trimmings, red and blue for 229, couldn't see the RRP but imagine its in the 450 - 650 range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Folks I'm off skiing in march never been and have no gear for it

Any idea where I can get cheap gear for it I have nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

Bargains on sportsdirect.com, you can pick up some basic, budget friendly skigear. Sale on at present.

^^ Sportsdirect is great, I got a pair of HiTech snow boots for half nothing.
    Decathlon is also great.
    The Trespass shop (if you're in Dublin) up in St Stephen's Green shopping centre sometimes has great bargains too. And Kildare Village will have higher end gear for good prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Adverts has some good gear from time to time if you don't mind going second hand. Occasionally there will be gear that was never used with the tags still on.

TKMaxx and Kildare Village is where I generally go, have gotten some great gear at great prices but you need to be going regularly to grab the bargains. It can be hit or miss a lot of the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Adverts has some good gear from time to time if you don't mind going second hand. Occasionally there will be gear that was never used with the tags still on.

TKMaxx and Kildare Village is where I generally go, have gotten some great gear at great prices but you need to be going regularly to grab the bargains. It can be hit or miss a lot of the time

stevire wrote: »

There's NOTHING in TKMaxx at the moment, have checked a few stores, maybe one or two jackets in total.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

stevire wrote: »

You do have to watch out for fakes though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭epopnomis

I'm selling a second hand Burton shaun white jacket if you're interested. PM me... Its in perfect nick and better than anything in Lidl or aldi...

Advertisement