Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ski Insurance while on slopes

Options
  • 28-01-2016 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

you have any recommendations which insurance provider gives you best value for winter sports insurance? I checked multitrip.com prices are ok, but there seems to be question mark over helicopter evacuation due to medical condition. Lady on the phone said you need to ring Emergency approval team if that happens and then they either approve it or not. Is that sound logical? Not for me anyway, I want to know if that covers for 100% without calling somewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

darka78 wrote: »
    you have any recommendations which insurance provider gives you best value for winter sports insurance? I checked multitrip.com prices are ok, but there seems to be question mark over helicopter evacuation due to medical condition. Lady on the phone said you need to ring Emergency approval team if that happens and then they either approve it or not. Is that sound logical? Not for me anyway, I want to know if that covers for 100% without calling somewhere.

Not sure you're confusing a few concepts. Helicopter evac on approval probably relates to when you're out in a remove place away from roads etc. If you injure yourself on a ski slope and need a helicopter evac I would think that's different from an evacuation for a Medical condition. But confirm with the insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭darka78

Helicopter evacuation is performed when you are in danger to be transported on snowmobile or high urgency needed if it is serious injury and operation needed as soon as possible. I have seen couple times in Italy already how someone being evacuated by helicopter and taken away straight from or near slopes. Now insurer told me what I need approval from their emergency team and then they decide if they going to cover this. But what if I am badly injured and cant even make a phone call? Maybe I am getting into extreme but I heard many stories people being taken away by helicopter and they have that in insurance policy what this is covered.
    a148pro wrote: »
    Not sure you're confusing a few concepts. Helicopter evac on approval probably relates to when you're out in a remove place away from roads etc. If you injure yourself on a ski slope and need a helicopter evac I would think that's different from an evacuation for a Medical condition. But confirm with the insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

As ever with Insurance I would read the small print. But I would spend the extra for winter sports cover.
    Insurance cover for equipment, is normally part, one trick if there is a cosmetic blemish or nick on your equipment a good idea is to take a photograph on your phone (timestamped) so you can prove it was like that when you got it.

I would also say make sure you have your e1-11 card, makes accessing medical treatment much easier on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

darka78 wrote: »

I think if you are badly injured on the slope it will be the medical professionals attending the scene who decide if you get airlifted. It won't be someone on the end of the phone line in Sandyford Industrial Estate.
    Payment later would obviously be a matter for the insurance company to decide on.

Advertisement