Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being lazy - ski google recommendations?

Options
  • 16-01-2016 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

I need to pick up some ski googles this year and decided to research this evening - YouTube have ten minutes videos about flatness and glare and half way through, I gave up! Thought of boards and wondered if anyone here could recommend a brand or style of ski googles for women which are good quality? I'm happy to spend a bit on a decent pair of googles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Oakley or Uvex.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Skibunny77

Thanks - for the recommendation and being polite enough not to point out I asked for googles instead of goggles!!!! I'm clearly taking lazy to a whole new level :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Skibunny77 wrote: »
    I need to pick up some ski googles this year and decided to research this evening - YouTube have ten minutes videos about flatness and glare and half way through, I gave up! Thought of boards and wondered if anyone here could recommend a brand or style of ski googles for women which are good quality? I'm happy to spend a bit on a decent pair of googles.

I just dropped 280 on a set of Oakley Airbrakes, love them. Had Oakley Crowbars before that, loved those also. I keep a dark lens and a light lens and with the Crowbars it was a pain to change. The Airbrakes came with both in the box and its really easy to change.

Im a fan of the Oakley Prizm lenses, so far I've found to be the best all round lens especially the Prizm rose but I haven't compared to non Oakley goggles.

Oakley do some women specific models but my wife had no issue using my Crowbars. Smith do women specific ones that good good also, I/O Women's and I/O S (small fit).

Oakley, Smith, Dragon, Uvex and Salomon are all good brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Bit late to this thread, but I ride with Von Zipper, they are great.

I was going to buy a second lens because my original goggle lens (while great in sunny conditions) are not the may west in cloudy. Turned out to be cheaper to buy another pair than just the lens. (long story short, I have 2 pairs) :p

I've owned Smith (very good, comfy) and Electric (comfy but fogged up like nothing (maybe I got a bad model)) and Oakley (fine but not the most comfy).

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

Diemos wrote: »
    Bit late to this thread, but I ride with Von Zipper, they are great.

I was going to buy a second lens because my original goggle lens (while great in sunny conditions) are not the may west in cloudy. Turned out to be cheaper to buy another pair than just the lens. (long story short, I have 2 pairs) :p

I've owned Smith (very good, comfy) and Electric (comfy but fogged up like nothing (maybe I got a bad model)) and Oakley (fine but not the most comfy).

Odd. I bought VonZippers specifically because they came with 2 lenses in the box. I think some Dragon models do, too.

The main recommendation I'd have is get a pair with 2 lenses, or factor the price of a second lens into your budget. Generally Yellow or Rose is good for low light...although I scratched the hell out of my Yellow one and could only get a 'nightstalker blue' to replace it which is great, too. It was a bit worrying becuase a lot of theory says you are trying to eliminate the blue-spectrum light on flat-light days, but these work fine for me.

I've never been overly concerned with which brand I get because I go to a warehouse sale every August and get whatever is the best deal for what I need at the time (boots, goggles, clothing etc.). Once they've been a reputable brand, I've been happy. I ride from November to May in all conditions from -30 degrees to warm spring conditions and do everything from hike-access powder trails to park, groomers, and everything in between. Don't over-complicate it, basically!

Oh, and make sure they fit nicely with your helmet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jasnah

Big fan of Smith myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

masseyno9 wrote: »
    Odd. I bought VonZippers specifically because they came with 2 lenses in the box. I think some Dragon models do, too.

could only get a 'nightstalker blue' to replace it which is great, too. It was a bit worrying becuase a lot of theory says you are trying to eliminate the blue-spectrum light on flat-light days, but these work fine for me.

The first pair I bought in about 2009, came with just 1 lens, the second pair I got last year came with 2, which was a pleasant surprise.

The nightstalker blue is exactly the lens I use on low days :P
    von-zipper-feenom-goggles.jpg

Advertisement