Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Main St, Athlone

Options
  • 13-05-2015 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Was going to use the Left Bank phrase, but decided i don't want that can of worms reopened.

Nice the way they are getting more outdoor space. Will be good come the summer

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Haven't been around by the Castle to have a look. What is being done?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Was going to use the Left Bank phrase, but decided i don't want that can of worms reopened.

Good man ! - What exactly are they doing over the Far Side then ? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Long Gone wrote: »
    Good man ! - What exactly are they doing over the Far Side then ? :cool:

Footpath widening (i guess with a view to creating a nice beer garden effect similar to Seans and Snugs current offering).

Overall will discourage non-main st bound traffic from driving there. And cars from parking at it, blocking an otherwise nice view.

Now all the place needs is an ATM (another can of worms!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I second the need for an ATM in the general area. It was handy when Ulster Bank had one at the Palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Footpath widening (i guess with a view to creating a nice beer garden effect similar to Seans and Snugs current offering).

Overall will discourage non-main st bound traffic from driving there. And cars from parking at it, blocking an otherwise nice view.

Now all the place needs is an ATM (another can of worms!)

I must have a look next time I'm in town. I don't like the idea of parking spaces being lost - People need to be able to park up so that they can enjoy whatever the area has to offer. Beer gardens are great when they're in gardens like the one at the back of Seans (wasn't even aware that The Snug had one). I hope that they're not going to allow drinking on the pavements out the front though - That's public space that hasn't been paid for and doesn't belong to the pubs and having a bunch of langers quaffing down pints in the public street won't do anything for the area...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

It looks like there still will be parking spaces outside The Castle, similar to the couple of spots built at Seans/Snug. The main work seems to be the laying of "bricks" instead of mass concrete for footpaths, and extending said footpaths around both corners on the Castle (the pub now) side of the road. This means ya won't get langers parking right on the corners. There was double yellow lines there, but seemed to be ignored, especially opposite Pavorottis.

As for the drinking outside, it will be no different than it is now. Just the footpaths are getting a well deserved facelift

Advertisement