Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Can I Make a Website like Adverts

Options
  • 29-05-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello anyone,

I'm looking to code a website like Adverts. I have very good knowledge of HTML and CSS, but I'm 50/50 on PHP. What I'm looking to do with the website is ::

¬ Make two account types that people can sign up to: Free and Premium. The free account would cause you to be charged €0.15 for every listing that you create, and get 1.78% taken out of the offer that you have accepted. Premium would cost €1.72 /3 months and you wouldn't get charged for listings and final offer fees.
    ¬ You would be able to make an offer to someone's asking price [I sort of know how to do this using MySQL Databases, but I'm not really sure].
    ¬ Break the website into categories [e.g: Household, Toys and Games, Cars and Motorcycles, etc].

I have the design in my head and I'm currently coding the design with HTML and CSS, and I might post a few pics here soon. All I'm looking for is tips on how to do this, and for any tutorials. Sorry if this is too confusing for some people, but this is the best that I can explain it. Also, I might be calling it webVerts [not trying to copy Adverts, it's different]. There's a website called webvert, would that be copying in some vision?

Cheers,
    Xbox. =D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

This kind of thing ?

http://www.templatemonster.com/demo/31027.html

(not suggesting you use a template )

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BestXboxEvr

@gctest50 :: Yes and no. Yes on the navigation on the side and the featured items below the image but no on the rest of the design. I'll probably uploading a picture soon of the design that I'm coding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There are plenty of ready-made solutions (software, extensions, plugins) out there for classified adverts types of sites, so no need to reinvent the wheel. Whether they scale up well is another matter.

However think carefully before embarking on these types of ventures. Almost all of them never get far off the ground at all as the market is well established with a few players taking >95% of the market and the rest fighting over scraps from the table. You also need a huge amount of investment for marketing: think 6 figures. There are dozens of queries on boards about setting up classifieds sites here and in the Entrepreneurial & Business Management section and I haven't seen one of them make it to a significant extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ItsJayFarrell

<Mod Snip> There's a work wanted thread, post in there if you require someone to do work for you, and please read the rules before posting</mod snip>

<mod snip>No email please </mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

:eek:You do realise that Adverts is a sister site of Boards?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Why should that matter? I think a lot of people are pisst off with adverts at the minute and I can understand someone wanting to set up a site like the old adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

True, but its a bit cheeky none the less....I couldn't give a fiddlers either way &#55357;&#56842;

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

<mod snip>Wrong thread/derailing - take it to 'work wanted' or PM's. Thanks.</mod snip>

Advertisement