Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disk full

• 18-11-2014 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations on free software that will help me find and delete files and programs that are taking up too much space on my hard drive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Is it that hard to either right click on the folder and view properties to see its size it go to add remove programs and scroll through the list of installed software which has the size of the programs listed on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Is it that hard to either right click on the folder and view properties to see its size it go to add remove programs and scroll through the list of installed software which has the size of the programs listed on it.

So add/remove programs shows you all the files on your C drive does it? NO

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

In my computer right click on your hard disk, click Properties. On the general tab click Disk Cleanup. You can also compress the drive from the general tab, but I think that might affect system performance.

Revo uninstaller is supposed to be more thorough than the inbuilt installer, you could give that a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭NinetyForNone

WinDirStat is OK. Might be useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭shanec1928

So add/remove programs shows you all the files on your C drive does it? NO
    Right clicking on the folders and select properties does tho which I said above..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Also run Ccleaner, for temp files and old system restore points. Recycle bin, hibernation, and shadow volume copies all take up space that you can reclaim if you don't use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Treesize or windirstat is what you need. Either will show you what is taking up all the space and then you can use that info to uninstall Any unneeded apps.

Ccleaner will also help you to clean up waste files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

right clicking on the c drive and checking each subfolder will take forever. For disk analysis use windirstat, it's good and free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

An easy win when you need to free up disk space is to remove windows update installer files...

Click start and type cleanmgr.exe to run it... You can also select to remove temp files and downloaded files etc
    (Edit to say that I just noticed that someone mentioned disk cleanup already above- cleanmgr.exe is the same thing)
    Spacemonger gives a good (but not pretty!) graphical overview of which folders consume space, it's small and fast and the older 1.4 version is free... No installer etc so just down load and run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I find ccleaner very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

I'll add a second vote for TreeSize - the free version sorted me out on the last machine I needed to find missing space on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Would recommend what other posters have said combination of windirstat and ccleaner. Two excellent apps. Then remove anything you don't need/want from add/remove programs.

Next up I'd say a new (bigger) hard disk maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

also check the Recycled Bin. Its contents adds to the overall space

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ccleaner

uninstall stuff you don't use - also pcdecrapifier for cleaning bloatware

spacemonger - similar to sequoia / windirstat

then do searches for files over 1GB , then 100MB then 10Mb to see if you can spot duplicates / backups you no longer need

same for media files like mp3's

DO NOT delete any files that you don't recognise in case windows needs them - could be Game Over.

Advertisement