Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recognise these potential virus related problems with their laptops?

Options
  • 08-11-2014 11:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40

I've been getting more than usual of late so I said I'd better look into it. Some, but not all of these problems come and go on their own, so sometimes I might actually be completely free from any one particular issue for quite a while, before it comes back. I have windows 7 I think, and am using firefox. One problem I've been having is that a new window that offers a survey, arbitrarily opening when you click on something with your mouse.

I also get a lot of drop-down ads, mainly from amazon which cover a lot of the page I'm trying to view. And I get a lot of those underlined words in the form of a virus. I've tried fiddling about with the command promt and the task manager, but that didn't seem to have any effect. I also tried malwarebytes anti-virus which didn't work either.

Here's a list of just about all the other problems I come across. I'm not sure if I could even call some of these viruses, but please share your thoughts if you recognise any of these problems:

'RegClean pro', which is apparently some antivirus software has some how got into my pc, and I can't even close it when it's pops up.

When I open a youtube video, it starts playing for the first 10 seconds or so, and then goes back to the start with the big play icon on the video screen.

When I start typing sometime into the google search bar, it then switches what I'm typing to the main internet search

Another one appears, blocking the web page saying "a message from our sponsors, redirecting shorting"

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Boot the laptop into safe mode download and run this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
    reg-cleaner can be removed in the add remove programs -reboot into safe mode after the above download and run superanti spyware.http://www.superantispyware.com/ the free version is the one to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

you need adblock plus to stop those pesky popups all over webpage,you do need to have a current good virus program and use malwarebytes to keep things at bay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Steppin Out

mp22 wrote: »
    reg-cleaner can be removed in the add remove programs
    Thanks,

I must try that soon. Couldn't reply to your full quote due to the links you posted!!

RegClean pro actually came in when I downloaded some other software a while back. I tried deleting it by going to the computer local disc instead of going to the control panel. It didn't work the former way, even though computer would have you think otherwise!

greasepalm wrote: »
    you need adblock plus to stop those pesky popups all over webpage,you do need to have a current good virus program and use malwarebytes to keep things at bay.
    didn't work as I tried a good while back, but I'll try again as I don't seem to have it installed at the moment

adblock plus seems absolutely useless to me.

• Advertisement

it worked for me as those pesky words on screen when the cursor passed over them opened up,had to reinstall it again on new firefox 33.1,different versions to use for each browser.

do you have any protection on pc?

it worked for me as those pesky words on screen when the cursor passed over them opened up,had to reinstall it again on new firefox 33.1,different versions to use for each browser.

do you have any protection on pc?
    I've AVG

i changed to avast years ago and never looked back,used to have avg big and bulky,
    avast does daily scans and pop ups if things are found,does adblock plus come up on browser as it shows 2 blocked programs out of 191 on this page .

i changed to avast years ago and never looked back,used to have avg big and bulky,
    avast does daily scans and pop ups if things are found,does adblock plus come up on browser as it shows 2 blocked programs out of 191 on this page .
    No, adblock plus doesn't do that on my pc.

There's a new pc virus threat in Ireland a the moment as I heard on the news this morning.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's a new pc virus threat in Ireland a the moment as I heard on the news this morning.

That has nothing to do with your problem.

You need to comprehensively scan and clean the system, install malware bytes and boot into safe mode and run a full scan. Leave it for hours if you have to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭nomeban

That has nothing to do with your problem.

You need to comprehensively scan and clean the system, install malware bytes and boot into safe mode and run a full scan. Leave it for hours if you have to.

The makers of Malwarebytes themselves say not to run their scanner in safe mode.

So run all scans in normal mode.

Advertisement