Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Semi-Official Boards Streaming Opportunity

• 07-02-2015 7:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

The ball has begun to roll now, on an opportunity for different gaming communities on boards to have their streams re-streamed by an official Boards Twitch channel. Basically, it is hoped that we'll get interest from several distinct gaming niches from Boards, for example Fighting Games, Arcade/Retro, MOBA, MMO etc. What we envisage, is that individuals among the community, will set up streams of their games, be it single player, multi player, online co-op etc, and will be able to have the stream sent out to a wider audience. This will form the beginnings of a web of boards streamers, all putting out content from whatever genre/community they enjoy.

I know we've a few online heads here, the inimitable Mr Vestek, the good doctor (Dr Bob) & perhaps others. We also have the A&R podcast guys, who might be interested in getting on board with this? Are there any others who might like to get involved?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,263 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well one thing we have here is an abundance of cabs - streaming 1cc attempts etc could be pretty interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I know Doom can be of service, he's done some great work at Beers

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I'd be up for it if I can get the time (which is a limited resource these days!)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah I'll help out as much as possible.

Streaming retro is much easier via an emulator with HDMI btw, try as I might RGB scart seemed to be impossible. I got a cheapo RCA cap, but tbh I'd rather use HDMI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Doge

Yeah I'll help out as much as possible.

Streaming retro is much easier via an emulator with HDMI btw, try as I might RGB scart seemed to be impossible. I got a cheapo RCA cap, but tbh I'd rather use HDMI.

I think the only realistic way of streaming RGB scart is getting an RGB Scart > Component converter off ebay and they're in the region of €50+ i believe.

Pretty sure the Hauppage PVR's take component.

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    I think the only realistic way of streaming RGB scart is getting an RGB Scart > Component converter off ebay and they're in the region of €50+ i believe.

Pretty sure the Hauppage PVR's take component.

I actually bought one of them. The result was 5 hours messing around with settings and it never worked. It was weird as the cap card could see the signal, it was just coming through blank.

That said I was using an Avermedia LGP but I also have an intensity shuttle, which has a lot more expert settings you can mess about with, and a PVR 2.

Unfortunately it's a bit of a lottery buying converters, I only yesterday nearly flung a HDMI to VGA one out of the window :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say the only real way to be sure is to get one of those HDMI upscalers that also generate scanlines, they output in true HDMI so no messing about. However the price of those things makes them very prohibitive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I hope to have a Retron5 piece of filth shortly.
    At least we'll be able to stream the consoles it supports directly from its HDMI out.
    Not ideal I know.

So, HDMI retrogaming is a go, and so can streaming them.
    Anyone want to organise a Beers around an inaugural recording?
    Probably best in Dino's or mine as Doom will have to travel with his stuff and we are relatively close to where he is.
    Let me know anyhow.

Sorry I missed that :)

TBH, perfect replication isn't what is good about a stream. Streaming can be about personality, or good info, but it's always about the people in the seats much more than the game.

I have a nice relatively unobtrusive studio mike that will pick up the voices of everyone in front of it, it means people can chat and laugh and discuss away. The idea would be a couple of people sit down and play and I handle the stream chat/ camera man duties.

The only thing is I have 2 weekends booked up in the near future with fighting game tournaments, and I can't blow them off. So I'd need a date in advance.

• Advertisement

Here's a good example- this was recorded with just one mike on a table, I think you'll agree the sound is rather good for that. I also have sportscaster headsets if you're into that and want the more intense gaming experience :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Happy to host.

I may be able to stream some older consoles as well.

Will hopefully be able to test things out this week. But should hopefully be able to stream anything with an S-Video output. I'm aiming to be able to stream my video modded Famicom.

Come up with dates and we can see who is available to talk about retro games.

Could I tentatively put forward the date of the 20th or 21st of March.

Give loads of time for people to practice and stuff if they want their 30 minutes of fame or whatever :D

We're into Film Festival week there.

21st is out for me.. but the 20th should be okay.

Could I tentatively put forward the date of the 20th or 21st of March.

Give loads of time for people to practice and stuff if they want their 30 minutes of fame or whatever :D

Practice?
    It's competitive?
    I thought it was just retrogaming folk sitting around talking sh1te while playing their favourite games!
    Like usual!

I suppose Firewarrior will be left until last :(
    Even Atavan and his Westlife quiz will feature ahead of me :(:(

I think we need to revive the Toki Challenge.

Think I might be able to swing the Friday the week before too if it's too rough for you.

It's not competitive, I just thought some people would want to show off their mad speedrunning/ knowledge skills :D

Think I might be able to swing the Friday the week before too if it's too rough for you.

It's not competitive, I just thought some people would want to show off their mad speedrunning/ knowledge skills :D

Well, that's me out so

Got the Famicom streaming:

MPhwVF6l.jpg

This means I can stream pretty much anything with a composite or s-video output.

• Advertisement

No RGB means Retr0 just won't turn up!
    He may throw stones and abuse at the window though!

Well I can do component as well... that's easy.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Well I can do component as well... that's easy.

:)

The only real problem is RGB scart...

Well, what games will we be playing?
    Should we plan ahead or bring a selection and pick then?

I make the internets videos again , I am teh happys!

getting to actually update the yt channel has got me fired up for something like this now , might try a few solo test runs too prior to a mass
    streamining with you lot..

Well I've got the Everdrive for the Famicom. So that's sorted. Watch me beat Treasure Island Dizzy for the NES!

Also I'm thinking this:
    QqhS8iml.jpg

And this:
    D5blFQol.jpg

Could do the job together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,855 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

No point in those, you just end up with a composite signal meaning you might as well just use composite cables.

My new yokey will output HDMI for streaming but no flash carts work on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Not sure how I missed this thread.

I'd be up for helping out with this.

I also have a USB capture card thingy that can capture composite or component if that's of any use? Only does up to 480p though. Upscaling ftw.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My new yokey will output HDMI for streaming but no flash carts work on it.
    here while I'm at it , did you buy one of those new famiclones off that guy on adverts? Debating wether to or not.It seems to be the oldstyle copy of a fami , rather than the new 'nes on a chip' ones .

Dr Bob wrote: »
    here while I'm at it , did you buy one of those new famiclones off that guy on adverts? Debating wether to or not.It seems to be the oldstyle copy of a fami , rather than the new 'nes on a chip' ones .

Nope, they really don't apart from one or two variants.
    The most of them seem to be the same, with the same incompatibilities.
    And at his prices I'd just put another few euro to it and get a genuine one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,784 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I see Mr Vestek was streaming on Twitch last night. Sonic Generations.

Hopefully this one will also be on Twitch or VOD.

eddhorse wrote: »
    I see Mr Vestek was streaming on Twitch last night. Sonic Generations.

Hopefully this one will also be on Twitch or VOD.

Here you go!

Wasn't really in the mood to continue this last night but may finish it off later tonight.

Not looking forward to trying to defeat the final boss though... that boss fight is HARD!

Hey guys just a head's up for anybody that's interested... I'll be continuing this playthrough at 8pm tonight.

http://www.twitch.tv/mistervestek

Click that 'follow' button if ya like! :-)

Is this still happening?

• Advertisement

Is this still happening?

I hope so, it seems intriguing!

Is this still happening?

I did my first stream via boards already.

I'm not sure Dinorex needs too much help from me but still glad to do some streamin' if you want, just need a date (at this point after Easter, I'm gonna be away and busy before then).

Advertisement