Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Streaming from Laptiop to TV using UPC horizon wifi/box

Options
  • 17-11-2014 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi

Im wondering if anyone would know is it possible to connect my laptop to my tv using horizon wifi?

example; id prefer to watch dvds or youtube via my tv than on my laptop screen.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd doubt the Horizon box would do it , because it's job is to collect money for content. Would be like turkeys voting for christmas.

If you have a smart TV then RTFM/STFW but it usually boils down to sharing a folder on your computer the TV can browse to

If you don't have a smart TV then argos do chromecast for €39

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

does your laptop/TV have a HDMI port? could just connect that way, stream from laptop, view on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 35 medikate

they both have hdmi but I was trying to avoid the hassle of plugging and unplugging wires etc.
    Ill look into chromecast...thanks

Ive since learned its not possible from UPC. THeres an app UPC mentioned, called twonky you can use for your smart phone to connect to your tv via the horizon box.
    www support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/748/~/twonky-explained

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

The Horizon box does have a built-in DLNA server, but it's rubbish. Get yourself a NowTV box and install Plex on it and on the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 medikate

they both have hdmi but I was trying to avoid the hassle of plugging and unplugging wires etc.
    Ill look into chromecast...thanks

Ive since learned its not possible from UPC themselves. THeres an app UPC mentioned, called twonky you can use for streaming from your smart phone to your tv via the horizon box.
    www support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/748/~/twonky-explained

• Advertisement
Advertisement