Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Farce

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Hard to know. I haven't gone for it myself TBH. But I would think that a botch job even as bad as that one would still not disprove the theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 NailGunner

Hard to know. I haven't gone for it myself TBH. But I would think that a botch job even as bad as that one would still not disprove the theory.

We all have our theories, mind you mine are not used to force the scam known as "carbon credits" on billions of people.

Global warming is nothing more than an excuse to decimate living standards around the world. Look at how the children are brainwashed in school to be little green hitlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

NailGunner wrote: »
    Global warming is nothing more than an excuse to decimate living standards around the world. Look at how the children are brainwashed in school to be little green hitlers.

While I despise the whole climate change farce, there's nothing wrong with teaching kids to be green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I believe the climate is changing, yes.

But I'm still unsure as to whether it's man-made or not.

Either way I support the reduction of carbon emmisions and all that stuff, it's still reducing pollution which can only be a good thing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Mark200 wrote: »
    I believe the climate is changing, yes.

But I'm still unsure as to whether it's man-made or not.

Either way I support the reduction of carbon emmisions and all that stuff, it's still reducing pollution which can only be a good thing.

But then wouldnt you also accept that to believe in climate change happening is as fundamental as believing in gravity? The climate is always changing and has always changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Does anyone actually "believe" in this climate change farce?

I believe in Santa and the tooth fairy does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

While i understand that the planets climate is indeed changing, the question remains whether or not human activity has caused this and more importantly whether human activity can reverse it.
    I have no issues, as such, with conserving energy, reducing waste and improving sustainable manufacturing and agricultural practices.

But then wouldnt you also accept that to believe in climate change happening is as fundamental as believing in gravity? The climate is always changing and has always changed.

Well yeah exactly....which is why I'm unsure as to whether it's man-made. Because the climate has always changed.

One thing is that according to a lot of stats, it's changing quite rapidly recently compared to usual....which could indicate that it's man-made

I'm no scientist though, but to me it could still be a natural occurance.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/11/16/do1610.xml

Have a look at this.

Looks like the "white coats" are now fully exposed as a load of government paid parrots.

Without wanting to get bogged down in semantics (especially on AH), there's a difference between Global Warming and Climate Change. As pointed out, climate change is always happening. It always has and it always will. Global warming is the concept that I would be sceptical about but, at the same time, wary of.

There's no reason to curb our conviction to reduce carbon output, because excessive carbon output is not going to slow the change of the climate.

I also think there's a little bit of confusion as to what is really going on. The whole 'global warming' thing is a misnomer, because the warming isn't global. It doesn't need to be a global thing for it to be disastrous either. Once the poles are warming, that's trouble. The dramatic changes in the weather we are seeing elsewhere (unseasonal weather and extreme rainfall etc.) are possibly consequences of the melting polar icecaps. However, I can only speculate because I'm not taking my own empirical measurements.

Edit: I heard yore ma believes in white coats.

I also think there's a little bit of confusion as to what is really going on. The whole 'global warming' thing is a misnomer, because the warming isn't global. It doesn't need to be a global thing for it to be disastrous either. Once the poles are warming, that's trouble. The dramatic changes in the weather we are seeing elsewhere (unseasonal weather and extreme rainfall etc.) are possibly consequences of the melting polar icecaps. However, I can only speculate because I'm not taking my own empirical measurements.

Yeah, apparently it'd only take a temperature rise of 3 degrees celcius for the polar ice caps to melt. Whereas people think it'd have to be 10 or 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I bet it'll turn out that our pollution creates a barrier that breaks down asteroids or alien lasers, and we'll only find out once the whole planet's gone green and aliens invade.

Damn aliens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Didn't I read somewhere that the Earth has been in a general cooling trend for the last few years.

Would explain why the media shifted from "Global Warming's going to get you" to "Climate change is going to get you"

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It depends on what school you adhere to. Some scientists take the view that the trapping of heat from the sun by greenhouse gases should give rise to global temperature increases of a roughly even rising scale. That theory, I think, is largely disputed now.

The prevailing view seems to be that the warming of the atmosphere around the poles is causing the icecaps to melt. The melting of the icecaps mean less of a reflective surface to reflect the heat of the sun, and that increases the speed at which the icecaps melt. The effects of this are unpredictable. On the evidence, it seems to give rise to harsher weather in what were previously more temperate climates (floods in England etc.). Conversely, the weather in the historically more extreme climates has calmed slightly (milder summers in e.g., South Africa).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Global warming, climate changes, whatever... it is a natural process, only problem is that we are helping the process speed up with our industrialisation of the world :)

It's not some theory, that is bullsh!t. It's happening, and all you need to do is look back on the last 20 - 30 years of your life and decide for yourself. Last time I seen a good snowfall was 9 years ago. Time before that was about 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

OctavarIan wrote: »
    While I despise the whole climate change farce, there's nothing wrong with teaching kids to be green.

Never did the Hulk any harm in fairness. Or the Jolly Green Giant for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2008/11/16/do1610.xml

Have a look at this.

Looks like the "white coats" are now fully exposed as a load of government paid parrots.

I think it's important to point out that this is an opinion column and not a news article.

A biased opinion column written by someone who has been proven to be quite wrong in the past.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/23/controversiesinscience.health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I think Monbiot is mentally ill and I'm a daily Guardian reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

There so many falsehoods and outright lies in that article its hard to know where to begin. The author of it sounds like a nut, no amount of evidance will ever convince them otherwise and the first frosty day like today for example or snow shower in October will convince them they are right.
    Please don't move this thread to the weather foum, it hurts my head :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Wow. An opinion piece.
    I'm convinced.

Piss off, Casey.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement