Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My house mate can hear EVERYTHING through the tin walls

• 28-11-2008 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

i live in a house with 6 other people all of us are students. the walls between my room and the room next to mine is really tin and i can hear everything that goes on in my house mates room like hear her talking on the phone and whistling. one of my close house mates pointed out to me and my girlfriend that the room beside mine would be able to hear us doing "Things". but my house mate who's room is beside mine is really quite and would be to shy to say anything to me. what should i do. im starting to feel awkward around her. what should i do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭barnacle

Ask her if she want's to join in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Was this not posted before, very recently?
    It sounds familiar. I posted help on how to soundproof a room on the cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Granny Lover

Biggins wrote: »
    It sounds familiar. I posted links to help on how to soundproof a room on the cheap.

yeah but it got deleted by boards.ie for some reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

It sounds familiar. I posted links to help on how to soundproof a room on the cheap.

Yes but the OP sounds like he is living in a shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have read this before VERY recently(maybe not the OP. Im too lazy to check)

Stop having sex so loud.

Get your own place.

Soundproof the place.

Wait until the house in empty.

If somebody whistles, get an angry dog and let it into their room and tell them its their own fault for whistling.

Talking on their phones. I dont know but that is obviously disgraceful. Get a long strong rope and a black cloth bag to tie over their heads. You should get yourself a GSM blocking system to block signals in and out of a 10mtr area. Ask your local cinema about them but not the spotty twat who has a managers badge. Ask the real manager.

• Advertisement

yeah but it got deleted by boards.ie for some reason?

Maybe it wasn't the boards but Ganley, Libertas and the CIA who deleted it.

They want to hear everything your up to if you believe those throwing dirt! :rolleyes:

The world is a strange place, I should know, I'm in it and I get to do some very strange stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Cinemas don't have blocking devices and if they do then they aren't supposed to

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fletch...

Could be worse, my bedroom is next to the jax, our bed headboard against the very thin wall and we can hear every fart and plop. even worse being such a small jax it echoes as if when your head is in a bucket.
    So its not the nicest sounds to wake up to each morning especialy living with guinness drinkers

I have read this before VERY recently(maybe not the OP. Im too lazy to check)

Stop having sex so loud.

Get your own place.

Soundproof the place.

Wait until the house in empty.

If somebody whistles, get an angry dog and let it into their room and tell them its their own fault for whistling.

Talking on their phones. I dont know but that is obviously disgraceful. Get a long strong rope and a black cloth bag to tie over their heads. You should get yourself a GSM blocking system to block signals in and out of a 10mtr area. Ask your local cinema about them but not the spotty twat who has a managers badge. Ask the real manager.

i am the OP but it got deleted last nite dont ask me y? cant get own place im a student, there is 6 of us in the house and its beside college so very rarely empty, and who said i was the one in the relationship making the noise LOL.

Even if one isn't building a recording studio, there are times when a home or business owner will want to reduce the amount of sound coming into, or out of, a room. While many methods are available, choosing one will depend on the room itself and the amount of money the owner is willing to spend.
    To understand how to soundproof a room, it is first necessary to understand a little about "sound." Sound is composed of waves that travel through a medium. Some mediums, or materials, are more resistant to sound than others. Air, for example, offers little resistance and is therefore a major contributor to unwanted noise in a room. To soundproof a room, however, more is needed than just blocking the flow of sound through air.
    Another source of unwanted noise in a room can come from vibrations. A vibration occurs when a sound wave travels back and forth from one object to another. This can happen, for example, when a sound wave strikes one wall in a room, bounces off that wall, and transfers its energy to the opposite wall. That vibration can create an annoying noise problem.
    The best way to prevent the noise problem altogether is to construct the room with building materials that dampen noise. Preplanning in this way is not always a possibility, however, especially for renters. The effort to soundproof, then, centers on how to buffer unwanted noise after the walls have been put in place.
    If money is a concern or time is limited, a less drastic, inexpensive approach to soundproofing is needed. Dampening noise can be accomplished by actions as simple as laying down carpet or hanging drapes. Although these solutions won't eliminate all unwanted noise, both are relatively inexpensive and simple.
    Another way to soundproof a room is to decorate it with rough-surfaced furnishings. Rough surfaces absorb sound, unlike smooth surfaces, which allow sound waves to travel back and forth. Applying an acoustic spray texture or other rough material to the ceiling, for example, can help soundproof a noisy room.
    Walls can also be treated to help make a room soundproof. This usually involves tacking on some sort of heavy material that will block sound waves. The material can range from carpeting to blankets to manufactured paneling -- even cardboard egg cartons are an option.
    Doorways and windows can also be sources of noise. A nearby draft of air can travel through leaks around a door or window, thereby allowing unwanted sound to enter a room. Rooms with doorway-related problems can be more soundproof if weatherstrips are applied to the gaps around the doorway or by buying a solid door. Window-related noise can be reduced by purchasing vinyl-framed or double-paned windows. If a cheaper solution is necessary, then the old standby of hanging drapes may suffice.
    If the person owns the home, he may want to know if a sound problem may be caused by inadequate insulation, gaps in the insulation, or even a hole in the attic! A qualified contractor can be consulted on all these issues, and although it may not be inexpensive to put in new insulation, it may lower the noise, as well as the homeowner's energy bills!
    Many possibilities exist for making a room more soundproof, including buying manufactured materials designed specifically to reduce noise. Money, time, and necessity are all factors to consider before tackling a noise problem.

• Advertisement

fletch... wrote: »
    Could be worse, my bedroom is next to the jax, our bed headboard against the very thin wall and we can hear every fart and plop. even worse being such a small jax it echoes as if when your head is in a bucket.
    So its not the nicest sounds to wake up to each morning especialy living with guinness drinkers
    oh thats bad alright :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I knew someone who had a place like that, they got it towed away in the end. :D

oh thats bad alright :eek:

Nope, thats Bass, bad ass bass! :D

I knew someone who had a place like that, they got it towed away in the end. :D

hahahaha :D

Nope, thats Bass, bad ass bass! :D

hahaha my uncle did the adverts for Bass ah long!!! time ago :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Ask her if your fapping noises sounds muffled.

*fap fap fap*

Ask her if your fapping noises sounds muffled.

*fap fap fap*

oh thats nice LOL :p

oh thats nice LOL :p

Oh... is that what she said?

Oh... is that what she said?

wouldn't u like to know:)

would u like to know:)

I already know...

eugh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I deleted it because it was a painfully horrible thread.

Please stop using text speak.

Also, tin walls?
    Do you live in Rio?

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/9196/riorw6.jpg

Cheers to Hugo of "Hugo and Giggles" for the pic.

Advertisement