Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Interesting point from Tim Stillman column on Arseblog.com
    The natural need for a scapegoat is being filled by Ramsey, the current chump du jour. Nobody would argue that Ramsey is having an easy time of it, but much of the criticism is bent well out of shape.

Szczesny is the same age as Ramsey and he went through a dip in form in the January and February period. All players of that age do. The team is adapting to Ramsey just as much as he is adapting to the rigours of weekly football at the top level. Our mode of play has changed this season into a quicker transitional style. We don’t have a triquetra type like Fabregas was, or that Nasri thought he was (but wasn’t). Ramsey is much more in the all action Gerrard mould, he’s in the business of late, lung bursting runs. Arsenal haven’t had a midfielder like this in some time.

Ramsey’s execution needs work, but that’s ok because it’s the easiest thing to fix. It just takes practise and a little confidence. Yet it also takes time for the team to appreciate his different qualities and react to them. It was the same when Cesc became a prominent feature of the team. (In the 2005-06 season he registered 3 goals and 5 assists. Ramsey is dealing in similar numbers this year). It’s coming too. I recall van Persie picking out a late Ramsey run in the box at Goodison, guiding a header down towards him in the box. It was a fabulous run that no Everton defender picked up right to the lip of the Everton area.

The issue was that he volleyed it over the bar. But like I said, that’s easily fixed on the training ground. Just ask Thierry Henry. Coaching that movement in the first place is the difficulty. Just ask Marouane Chamakh. Swingers on the line now and you bookmark this page if you like. This time next year, provided he enjoys reasonable fitness, Ramsey will be in the running for our Player of the Season award. There’s a hell of a lot of talent in this boy. Don’t try and destroy it, embrace it. It’ll make you proud one day. Till next time. LD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

gosplan wrote: »
    The natural need for a scapegoat is being filled by Ramsey, the current chump du jour. Nobody would argue that Ramsey is having an easy time of it, but much of the criticism is bent well out of shape.

Szczesny is the same age as Ramsey and he went through a dip in form in the January and February period. All players of that age do. The team is adapting to Ramsey just as much as he is adapting to the rigours of weekly football at the top level. Our mode of play has changed this season into a quicker transitional style. We don’t have a triquetra type like Fabregas was, or that Nasri thought he was (but wasn’t). Ramsey is much more in the all action Gerrard mould, he’s in the business of late, lung bursting runs. Arsenal haven’t had a midfielder like this in some time.

Ramsey’s execution needs work, but that’s ok because it’s the easiest thing to fix. It just takes practise and a little confidence. Yet it also takes time for the team to appreciate his different qualities and react to them. It was the same when Cesc became a prominent feature of the team. (In the 2005-06 season he registered 3 goals and 5 assists. Ramsey is dealing in similar numbers this year). It’s coming too. I recall van Persie picking out a late Ramsey run in the box at Goodison, guiding a header down towards him in the box. It was a fabulous run that no Everton defender picked up right to the lip of the Everton area.

The issue was that he volleyed it over the bar. But like I said, that’s easily fixed on the training ground. Just ask Thierry Henry. Coaching that movement in the first place is the difficulty. Just ask Marouane Chamakh. Swingers on the line now and you bookmark this page if you like. This time next year, provided he enjoys reasonable fitness, Ramsey will be in the running for our Player of the Season award. There’s a hell of a lot of talent in this boy. Don’t try and destroy it, embrace it. It’ll make you proud one day. Till next time. LD.

He writes really good articles, and I fully agree with him here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Most bookmakers have made us evens favourites to beat Chelsea tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Well well well, Drogba is out tomorrow... thank fúck!

Redzer7 wrote: »

Did Droggy get a boo-boo when he fell down? :(

Galvasean wrote: »
    Did Droggy get a boo-boo when he fell down? :(

Serves him right! :D

Bit more confident about tomorrow now, although I've a feeling Torres will have the game of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Surely rested with Tuesday in mind after playing FA cup Semi and Champions League semi in space of just a few days

amiable wrote: »
    Surely rested with Tuesday in mind after playing FA cup Semi and Champions League semi in space of just a few days

Sky Sports says knee injury, could possibly be that they're resting him but I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

gosplan wrote: »

I don't think anyone is calling for him to be sold or anything, just don't have him as an automatic starter when he is in such poor form. Look at the differences between Arshavin and Rosicky. When Arshavin was in poor form, he kept getting picked most weeks anyway. When Rosicky was in poor form he was dropped to the bench. Arshavin continued to suffer poor form while the time on the bench seems to have done Rosicky a world of good as he's been one of our best players this season.

We're short on options this weekend so he'll have to start, but a few weeks ago we had most of our midfield fit, and Ramsey was still starting in spite of his form. I like Ramsey and hope he turns it around to be a vital player for years to come, but I don't see how you can play someone in such poor form for more than two or three games with no sign of it ending. He should have had a spell on the bench by now IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

Both Diaby and Coquelin back in the squad for tomorrows match!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Both Diaby and Coquelin back in the squad for tomorrows match!;)

diaby 1/2 to get off the team bus & start walking into the stadium but goes over to hug gunnersaurus & trips rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament

What odds can I get for Diaby to score the winner?
    I'll show ya....

http://mickopedia.org/mickify.py?topic=arsenal+fc

Have a look at that :) feckin' eejits!

Paddy Power offering 3/1 on RVP scoring at any time tomorrow against Chelsea

Paddy Power offering 3/1 on RVP scoring at any time tomorrow against City
    Surely that'll be wasting money as we're actually playing Chelsea :pac:

I know he's good, but he's not that good :pac:

Haha. Got a bit muddled there. It's a good bet IMO

Haha. Got a bit muddled there. It's a good bet IMO
    Very good bet indeed, hopefully he gets a few and starts banging them in again :P is that with Paddy Powers?

Very good bet indeed, hopefully he gets a few and starts banging them in again :P is that with Paddy Powers?

I think it's only an online offer. I spotted it on twitter.

I think it's only an online offer. I spotted it on twitter.
    Ah just checked there and he's only evens to score anytime, and 4/1 first goalscorer. Think i'll give it a miss.

• Advertisement

http://mickopedia.org/mickify.py?topic=arsenal+fc

Have a look at that :) feckin' eejits!

how did you find this?

can't believe someone actually went to the bother of doing it :D

batistuta9 wrote: »
    how did you find this?

can't believe someone actually went to the bother of doing it :D
    Just seen somebody make a thread about it in the After Hours forum called mickopedia which is basically a Wikipedia for the Irish :pac: searched Arsenal FC to see what they wrote haha.

Ah just checked there and he's only evens to score anytime, and 4/1 first goalscorer. Think i'll give it a miss.

He's definitely 3/1 if you do it through twitter or Facebook.

Twitter has lit up about this.
    Fourfourtom(Arsenal blogger) is talking about it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

At least there are no odds on him scoring for City

greendom wrote: »
    At least there are no odds on him scoring for City

Not yet anyways, hopefully never!
    Wouldn't like to see him play at any other premier league club, it'd break my heart :pac: or any club for that matter haha.

Jebus, that mickopedia stuff is hard to read...

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Jebus, that mickopedia stuff is hard to read...
    I couldnt even make it past the first paragraph. Some people have too much time on there hands. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Don't like to put RVP down because he had a great game, but jeeeesus his finishing was Bendtner-esque today :( Got in great positions and made a nuisance of himself from start to finish but he was so unlucky today.

When I got to thinking about it, Diaby was an idiotic substitution. I know we don't have much alternatives but his lack of match-practice was as evident today as I've ever seen in a player. He looked like he wasn't quite sure how to play football anymore. Again, not putting him down because this is to be expected, I just think we can't afford to be giving him a run-out for the sake of it, in this, the most vital part of the season.

Walcott probably out for the season too.

We had a great opportunity to put points between us and fourth. We failed badly and now things are looking precarious. I'm not saying dooooooomed, just worrying.

Very impressed with Santos today, also thought Gibbs attacked very well throughout the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Worrying run of form, rvp looks spent and thus the team do as well. I don't think it's unreasonable to think arse won't win again this season if they play like that.

3000th post! Would have loved to dedicate it to a win.

Anyways hopefully the Yids and the Magpies get beating today!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

When I got to thinking about it, Diaby was an idiotic substitution. I know we don't have much alternatives but his lack of match-practice was as evident today as I've ever seen in a player.

I think it was forced on Wenger with Rosicky being sick during the week, fatigue and all that.

Lackluster performance but a point is okay, just makes things nervy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm still very confident of getting top 4. Though hopefully Chelsea dont win the CL.

A point against Chelsea is now a bad thing? :confused:

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Usually not but we were the middle of their Barcelona sandwich and played either inexperienced or tired players today with their minds on Tuesday. We really should have got the 3 points.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It is when we needed a win. The last 3 games are must wins now. hopefully results elsewhere will go our way, newcastle already winning.

after losing to wigan & giving tottenham the chance to overtake us + newcastle to draw level, i wouldn't call it the best result. wasn't the best of performances today either

I don't think anybody's saying that. Chelsea weren't great by any standards today, that was an entirely winnable game. And we hit the woodwork twice and bottled a couple of other good chances.

If you're seeing what appears to be frustration, I think it's just anxiety..caused by the threat we now face from the Magpies and the....ehhh...well..them crowd.

If we beat Stoke, things'll look healthy again. If we don't, it'll be time to shape up and grind it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Usually not but we were the middle of their Barcelona sandwich and played either inexperienced or tired players today with their minds on Tuesday. We really should have got the 3 points.

Chelsea didn't look to win the game and we didn't take advantage of that. We just looked uninterested fighting for a win. That's worrying.

Maybe the season has caught up on the lads. No Arteta we've definitely lost some flexibility and presence in the middle of the pitch too, it's painful not having him in the side. I wouldn't be suprised if the next three games are a bit of a struggle without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Hopefully QPR take something off tottenham later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭cson

Walcott out for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement

Heads up the feck. We're still 3rd, don't go into panic mode yet.

Just for fun, I decided to take all the possible remaining fixtures for the 4 competing teams and take a mean of the worst probable (possible?) results + the best probable (possible?) results.

Table ended up like this:

3. Arsenal - 38 - 70.5pts
    4. Spurs - 38 - 70.5pts
    5. Newcastle - 38 - 69.5pts
    6. Chelsea - 38 - 68pts

*assuming there are no drastic changes in goal difference.
    *based on my personal predictions.
    *kinda eliminating the probability of form influencing results too, if I'm honest.

I see Stoke were saving themselves up for our visit next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I see Stoke were saving themselves up for our visit next week

Stoke will definitely get a result at home to us, Benayoun will hardly make a massive difference. We look very flat at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Heads up the feck. We're still 3rd, don't go into panic mode yet.

To use the words of some famous characters...

then again we could be ...

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

QPR looking like they might do us a favour, which would be massive. Stoke have their cup final against us next week, make no mistake they'll be up for it. Really odd how our levels have dipped so dramatically in the last 2 games. If we even had won one of them we'd be pretty much home and dry. Dont like that face that we still need 2 wins, and we have to play away twice. Making this difficult for ourselves.

Also lads Newcastle have to play City and Chelsea! Wigan and Everton will be tough too. There will be points dropped, it's not all doom and gloom yet.

Also lads Newcastle have to play City and Chelsea! Wigan and Everton will be tough too. There will be points dropped, it's not all doom and gloom yet.

I think arsenal have the better fixtures left - the 3 teams have nothing to play for compared to the teams the others play

newcastle as you say have though enough matches - wigan fighting to stay up,
    chelsea for a CL spot, city for the title(even if the can't win it by then, still tough)

tottenham's look the easiest on paper but all them sides are trying to stay up, apart from fulham on the last day

batistuta9 wrote: »
    I think arsenal have the better fixtures left - the 3 teams have nothing to play for compared to the teams the others play

newcastle as you say have though enough matches - wigan fighting to stay up,
    chelsea for a CL spot, city for the title(even if the can't win it by then, still tough)

tottenham's look the easiest on paper but all them sides are trying to stay up, apart from fulham on the last day

Exactly, factor in that Tottenham are on a bad run of form as well and currently getting beating by QPR. They could just as easily drop points as much as we can.

• Advertisement

Just looked at the table and didnt realise West Brom were so far up. Thought they were still lingering around the relegation spots so figured they'd be up for it. Knew Norwich ere safe. With that, Stoke is the toughest game left and thats just because they are kunts to play against :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement