Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Digest Events

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I played Nass yesterday and the 4th runs parallel to Palmerstown first and could hear the announcer, was kinda cool. It was melting out there though, car said 24 afterwards but must have been way more than that on the course, tallest of trees were mute in complete still conditions...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Won't let it embed the image so here's the link
    http://golffile.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/The-Golf-Digest-Volvo-Open-Grand-Final-2013/G0000vAV438AIEhI/I0000I6TEPTHRBF0/C0000rrxceGdpWwM

This you ForeRight, looks like you had a nice playing partner that day in Carton House anyway
    http://golffile.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/The-Golf-Digest-Volvo-Open-Grand-Final-2013/G0000vAV438AIEhI/I0000GYbC3u3el8Y/C0000rrxceGdpWwM

Some golfer, anyone scoring 46pts off 5 handicap on any course is in the wrong league especially when in the winners circle so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

Ah fair play to him though ! 46 points is savage shooting off any handicap, off 5 its spectacular !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Mr. Lar Ryan won a new Golf Glider Swift Electric trolley in Palmerstown as well!!!

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Mr. Lar Ryan won a new Golf Glider Swift Electric trolley in Palmerstown as well!!!

Ha, cleaning up!

• Advertisement

I'd like to see these closest to the pins and longest drives monitored abit closer.

Though it was a bit fishy when in a previous outting I was at that the longest drive was won by a guy playing in very last group. Didn't bother me cause I would never be contending in the long drive anyway.

But they have guys all over the place maybe should have someone around the relevant greens / fairways ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

I need popcorn for this

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I think we'll leave Mr. Ryan and his Golf Digest events alone now, its up to the organisers to monitor results etc and if they have no problem with the same person cleaning up at their events then there's nothing we can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I think we'll leave Mr. Ryan and his Golf Digest events alone now, its up to the organisers to monitor results etc and if they have no problem with the same person cleaning up at their events then there's nothing we can do about it.

Exactly.

Don't enter them if there is something fishy going on. If they don't manage them properly they will destroy them eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

ForeRight wrote: »
    I do submit them. He just said well done, threw the cards in the bin and asked me to play in a few team events with him and his two pals.

Actually, it's not a matter for the event organisers if ForeRight is handing in his cards at his home club and - as he says above - they're being binned. That's a matter for the GUI.

A club deliberately protecting a member's handicap is the sort of thing that gets said club being ejected from national events such as the Barton Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

Its a shame that all these type of events end up with a poor reputation.

Same has happened with the Trilby Tour thing in the UK. Same faces appearing all the time and handicap never seems to move. And one of the biggest culprits there is an Irishman!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

big_drive wrote: »

Same has happened with the Trilby Tour thing in the UK. Same faces appearing all the time and handicap never seems to move. And one of the biggest culprits there is an Irishman!

Is his name Lawrence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭big_drive

ForeRight wrote: »
    Is his name Lawrence?

No Tom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

big_drive wrote: »

Not sure if the Trilby Tour is quite the same, the entry is about €350 for it. That pairing seem to fly over a good bit and they must have spent a small fortune competing.

I think the reason that there's some many familiar faces on it is that it's so expensive and not many are willing to folk that out to get a bit of TV time.
    I've never watched an event where the scoring was crazy tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Eoinyh wrote: »
    Played the knightsbrook one this year, will be my last, they are all a happy little family, I know for sure my card was not put into the raffle, they use to be very good events, but lets face it with cheaters like rar lyan about its just no fun. Can they not or do they not want to be gui counting competitions

Just curious. How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'm just stunned with that lads score at an away course.

Like how is he not in national stuff ?

Fair play to him, obviously playing unreal golf.

Have Rathdowney won anything lately ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'm just stunned with that lads score at an away course.

Like how is he not in national stuff ?

Fair play to him, obviously playing unreal golf.

Have Rathdowney won anything lately ?

Yeah, since the guy shoots the lights out at every away course he seems to have attended, I decided I'd take a look at Rathdowneys website.

They have their comp results going back to mid June on there & poor old Lar hasn't got within a sniff of a prize of his home course. Either he never plays at home or Rathdowney is a tougher course than any of those on the Golf Digest list & he struggles to put in a score there

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yeah, since the guy shoots the lights out at every away course he seems to have attended, I decided I'd take a look at Rathdowneys website.

They have their comp results going back to mid June on there & poor old Lar hasn't got within a sniff of a prize of his home course. Either he never plays at home or Rathdowney is a tougher course than any of those on the Golf Digest list & he struggles to put in a score there

Could be a distance member :D

No - I was at a team event - and there were lads who blew the field away.

Looked them up in their home club, not a sniff.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Just curious. How do you know?

One of the last in, was told to hand my card to one of the GD team, watched my card closely, it never made the draw, maybe if I went to all the events, became pals with the GD team, an got on with them I might have a chance of winning something in the draw, for me the whole GD events have started to stink, pity

I think if I can use the generic term of 'bandits' they are everywhere so not exclusive to GD events, to tar GD exclusively is a shame as I went to one last year and thought they were great craic, very well run and enjoyable to play in.
    I haven't a hope of getting longest drive or a category prize but you can always fluke a par 3 NTP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

slave1 wrote: »
    I think if I can use the generic term of 'bandits' they are everywhere so not exclusive to GD events, to tar GD exclusively is a shame as I went to one last year and thought they were great craic, very well run and enjoyable to play in.
    I haven't a hope of getting longest drive or a category prize but you can always fluke a par 3 NTP.

I'd have to agree to some extent slave. It's a difficult one for GD to control. As mentioned previously if they were open qualifying events it would definitely make a difference.

It shouldn't take away from very well organised events, but if there is very evident cheating going on & it's tough to get amongst the prizes then it would be tough for many to justify the premium price of entering

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

we don't need two threads on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,073 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This thread is for golf digest discussion, you can discuss its merits an faults all you want.
    This thread, nor indeed any thread on here, is for acussing someone of cheating.
    Its defamatory and likely to result in legal action.

If you have a problem with this, pm me.

No more warnings on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Played in the New Forest event today, wow what a course, Abseloutely stunning, defo top 10 in courses I've played this year, they had it set up very tough, mostly off the very back tee boxes, didn't play all that great, stuck it to 6 feet on the last par 3 (220 yards) thought it had to be in with a shout but some had 70 cm ha ha ah well, had 29 points off 4, scratched 10 and 11, be interesting to see the winning score

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

dar_cool wrote: »
    Played in the New Forest event today, wow what a course, Abseloutely stunning, defo top 10 in courses I've played this year, they had it set up very tough, mostly off the very back tee boxes, didn't play all that great, stuck it to 6 feet on the last par 3 (220 yards) thought it had to be in with a shout but some had 70 cm ha ha ah well, had 29 points off 4, scratched 10 and 11, be interesting to see the winning score

Big journey, sounds interesting as never really heard much about the course before so will have to put it on the list. Played Esker Hills for the first time this year and was very impressed, played it from the blues on a very windy day but found the greens really tough, very big with loads of contours. Can see where Shane honed his skills.

With regards the Golf Digest events, anyone know why they're non counting? Is it a case that the club themselves have to run the competition and process handicap adjustments so an external host such as Golf Digest can't come in and run the event as an open competition? The events being non counting are a big draw back and one of the reasons I haven't played in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thebigbandit

this sounds like my type of competition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I'd like to see these closest to the pins and longest drives monitored abit closer.

Though it was a bit fishy when in a previous outting I was at that the longest drive was won by a guy playing in very last group. Didn't bother me cause I would never be contending in the long drive anyway.

But they have guys all over the place maybe should have someone around the relevant greens / fairways ?

buddy of mine won the other one, I know he is no cheater
    Eoinyh wrote: »
    One of the last in, was told to hand my card to one of the GD team, watched my card closely, it never made the draw, maybe if I went to all the events, became pals with the GD team, an got on with them I might have a chance of winning something in the draw, for me the whole GD events have started to stink, pity

why didn't you say it to them while you were there and watching?

stevieob wrote: »
    buddy of mine won the other one, I know he is no cheater

I'm sure he is no cheater. I've won CTP prizes in the past and I'm no cheater either, but for the sake of the integrity of competition and to stop any grumblings I'd prefer if there was an 'official' hanging round to watch and possibly measure any CTP contenders.

They wouldn't have to sit at the green all day, maybe every 10 - 15 mins drop by and check each groups tee shot then drive off to do something else ?

Ah well don't think it bothers me anymore, don't think I'll be playing in one of these again till they manage them abit better and reports from their events are abit more possitive.

Reports and discussions regarding last years grand final were dissappointing too. That was the start of the downfall I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I'm sure he is no cheater. I've won CTP prizes in the past and I'm no cheater either, but for the sake of the integrity of competition and to stop any grumblings I'd prefer if there was an 'official' hanging round to watch and possibly measure any CTP contenders.

They wouldn't have to sit at the green all day, maybe every 10 - 15 mins drop by and check each groups tee shot then drive off to do something else ?

Ah well don't think it bothers me anymore, don't think I'll be playing in one of these again till they manage them abit better and reports from their events are abit more possitive.

Reports and discussions regarding last years grand final were dissappointing too. That was the start of the downfall I think .
    What were the reports from last year? Any links? My mother is in the final this year.

• Advertisement

Any results from New Forest, know that course quite well so interesting to see the winning scores

Advertisement