Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf Digest Events

• 18-08-2013 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am off Aug 30th so was thinking of making the Trip to the Slieve Russell for the next Golf Digest Event. From a previous thread on other events I see not to expect a quick round even if only slots left are early.

Anyone play in the event today in the K club? How was it? Would you recommend these events?

Kev

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I played today in the K Club. 5 hours 25 mins to get around.
    It's very well run and apart from the time, it was very enjoyable. I love that track though! Serious prizes on offer.

Think ill put my name down for Enniscrone in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

I played today (first time) .... 5 hrs 20 mins, never delayed or pushed and burger stop at the half way mark. No complaints from me regarding time, it is a tough track.

Well run event, Golf Digest team are very good and the prizes are very good.

A few changes I would suggest are paying a few juniors to ball spot and watch the par 3 nearest the pins, as well as letting the picky-out winner pick out the next winner... all minor issues and I would say everyone should have a go at one of these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Dtoffee wrote: »
    I played today (first time) .... 5 hrs 20 mins, never delayed or pushed and burger stop at the half way mark. No complaints from me regarding time, it is a tough track.

A few changes I would suggest are paying a few juniors to ball spot and watch the par 3 nearest the pins, as well as letting the picky-out winner pick out the next winner... all minor issues and I would say everyone should have a go at one of these events.

The burger after 9 went down a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Where can someone find results of these events?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

I usually get a mail the day after the event but also found a Facebook page below

https://www.facebook.com/GolfDigestEvents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Think ill put my name down for Enniscrone in a few weeks time.

I'm playing at 2pm - may see you there

I was out early at Royal Dublin and was very surprised to find that we'd taken five hours. It flew by and, like you, we were only occasionally waiting or being pushed from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

I would agree with your suggestions, played this course yesterday for the first time thought the par 5 3rd hole was a poorly designed hole. ie blind tee box shot (cant make out the fairway)and cant see the green from from 150yrd out encourages slow play loss of ball etc (should have left my pinseeker at home)10th similar but on the positive side 7th,13th,16th 18th great holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Played in the Gold Digest Event yesterday in the Slieve Russell. First point I would make was complements to Slieve Russell as the course was probably in the best shape I have seen it in recent years. Well worth a visit

As for the event: As stated Above don't expect a quick round 5hrs+ is the norm and the last groups just made it home in daylight.. The event is very well run and there is no shortage of goodies and grub with a burger at the half way mark and drinks fruit etc every 3 holes..

The winners of the 3 categories were (43 points, 12+ ) 39 points(0 - 12) and 37 points (ladies)

Nearest the pin prizes were all 2foot or less...

was no where near the prizes, stayed around for the picky-out ( generally done by people waiting around ) and one of the lads in our group won a prize so worth the visit.

May go again....

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭jtown

Anybody going to Tralee tomorrow?

jtown wrote: »
    Anybody going to Tralee tomorrow?

Yep, playing at 12.20. You?

• Advertisement

Trying to see if I can make it or not.

9.20 tee off :D

jtown wrote: »
    9.20 tee off :D

Based on how long these rounds can be, that means.... I'll be teeing off at 12.20 when you're on the 3rd hole!

Enjoy. Looks like it's going to be a cold day!

Based on how long these rounds can be, that means.... I'll be teeing off at 12.20 when you're on the 3rd hole!

Enjoy. Looks like it's going to be a cold day!

Ah will never be that bad (I hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

Just wondering how Tralee went yesterday. Having played in a few of these events previously and having played Tralee twice before (albeit in horrible weather both times) I was envious yesterday looking at such a nice day and hopefully a good event. just interested in what scores won and generally how the day went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Glorious day for it, course was superb. Back 9 was something to behold. 44 points won the 13-24 section and I think 42/41 won the 1-12. Scoring was higher than anticipated despite the good day.

Great day and thoroughly recommend the golf digest events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lobby069

44 points in tralee!Some score.

Photos of the Day - not often you play a classy links like Tralee in perfect weather. Sunshine for 18 holes and no more than a 1-2 club wind.

44 Points off a 19 handicap, with two 40 point scores coming 2nd and 3rd in 13-24 handicap category.

In the 1-12 category, 41 points won, and he was playing off 6!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭morrga

Hi Kevin, were you the photographer taking photos of each of the groups?

morrga wrote: »

No, not me. They bring in an official photographer at the start of the day and snap off a load of photos for the magazine/ezine (which should be out shortly).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Photos of the Day - not often you play a classy links like Tralee in perfect weather. Sunshine for 18 holes and no more than a 1-2 club wind.

44 Points off a 19 handicap, with two 40 point scores coming 2nd and 3rd in 13-24 handicap category.

In the 1-12 category, 41 points won, and he was playing off 6!

Lovely set Kevin, weather was glorious by the looks of things, played both Headfort courses yesterday in similar weather, must upload some shots...

morrga wrote: »

Maybe you're somewhere in this lot: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.404671292992125.1073741841.217651415027448&type=3

Did you find the fairway on the 1st?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭millerj

Maybe you're somewhere in this lot: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.404671292992125.1073741841.217651415027448&type=3

Did you find the fairway on the 1st?

Superb photos in fabulous conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Was just looking at the list of events for 2014, some great courses. I've signed myself up for the Portmarnock Links event anyway, and will probably play the Concra Woods event, if the boards society doesn't play there this year, anyone else planning on playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Wat is this event all about ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

dwd wrote: »
    Was just looking at the list of events for 2014, some great courses. I've signed myself up for the Portmarnock Links event anyway, and will probably play the Concra Woods event, if the boards society doesn't play there this year, anyone else planning on playing?

Have been saying to myself for the last 2 years I must play one of these, but never got round to it. Think I'll take the plunge this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Oh & jaysus dwd I'd get battered if I told the missus I was spending Valentine's day on a golf course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Definitely going to put my name down for the portmarnock links and the concra wood events!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Regardless of how well the events are organised and run the entry fee is poor value in my book and thus I will not be participating. €65 to play Portnarnock Links in Feb is excessive in the extreme regardless of what prizes are on offer.
    Plenty of other better value options on offer such as the TopGolfer scratch cups and similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Oh & jaysus dwd I'd get battered if I told the missus I was spending Valentine's day on a golf course

I actually didn't cop that it was Valentine's Day until after I had booked it :confused: I think I'll just sneak the golf clubs into the boot and have a normal day at work :cool:

Advertisement