Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

jester77 wrote: »
    Swap for Dempsey :D

Bargain!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

jester77 wrote: »
    Swap for Dempsey :D

Is Arshavin not out of contract?
    Not sure on this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

amiable wrote: »
    Not sure on this

We wouldn't have loaned him if he was out of contract

TomKat wrote: »
    We wouldn't have loaned him if he was out of contract

Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Not sure on this
    He'd have at least a year or two left. He signed for us in January 2009. Cant see him only getting a three and a half year contract considerng how highly rated he was. Thats also assuming he didnt sign a new one in the meantime.

• Advertisement

Why not?
    Because then he's not on Loan, he's a free agent.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Not sure on this

Nope he has a contract up until 2013

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Because then he's not on Loan, he's a free agent.:D

Players sometimes go loan for the last few months of their contract to just get their wages off the books or a portion of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭TomKat

In a weird kind of way I think Robin is on our side in this one. He so desperately wants to bring success to Arsenal and is likely to demand assurances that top notch quality will be brought in. This interference is usually unhealthy, though in this case it is justified. The Arsenal board need a right kick up the **** with that leg peg of his to wake them up. He's going to tell them what's on all of our minds. I reckon money means f all to him, doesn't seem the type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Oranage2 wrote: »
    In all fairness why would French or Spanish players show loyalty to us? We're just another foreign club to them.

TBH I dont begrudge Nasri and co. either going for money, not many people would stay with a job if another job was offering a lot more money.

That's true and I wouldn't begrudge RVP leaving for 250k per week at City. He is almost 30 and it would be probably his last big pay-day.

On the Nasri thing I feel that what he said was probably misinterpreted and twisted somewhat to suit the tabloid mentality of sh** stirring. If he said that certain players were walking onto our team week-in week-out without playing very well then I would show that article to Walcott and Ramsey in particular as it might buck them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

IMO the only way RVP leaves is if the board, and wenger, dont give him the assurance of both success through quality improvements to the team. I really dont see him being a money whore.

On the subject of Nasri, he was never very good for us. Although i do think that we have ourselves to blame for that, him being played out of pos for most of his time with us. He left for the money, and now, as shown my the pic on the previous page, is quite the hypocrite. fair play to him for collecting the winners medal from the bench, for the most part. I reckon he wont be there much longer anyway, concidering how poor he's been and hazard going there (probably). It's a real non-issue for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Always possible.

Footballers are more keenly aware of how short a football career is than anyone else, and its hard to blame them for putting financial reasons above all others, since Van Persie has a number of years left to make big money.

I'd say VP would love to stay at Arsenal, but he has to be realistic about his own value.

If Man City were prepared to give him 250k a week, he'd be very very tempted and who would blame him.

To be honest, 130k a week (ignoring the once off bonus) is pittance and almost an insult.

He's worth at least 150k a week and probably 175k a week.

I've heard it all now - 32 million over 4 years (including the 5 million signing on fee) is now a pittance - ridiculous statement of the year I feel.

Ok Man City will pay him 52 million over the same period - how much will his life be better off with that additional 20 million quid. Especially bearing in mind that he and his family are settled and happy with their life in London

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

greendom wrote: »
    I've heard it all now - 32 million over 4 years (including the 5 million signing on fee) is now a pittance - ridiculous statement of the year I feel.

Ok Man City will pay him 52 million over the same period - how much will his life be better off with that additional 20 million quid. Especially bearing in mind that he and his family are settled and happy with their life in London

That's fine..

If Tevez, Rooney, etc can get 250k a week, and they only score a fraction of what VP scores, what's that make VP worth?

Don't blame VP for the state of the market.

I'm outta here now, time for home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What's the story with the Financial Fair Play?

This needs to get brought in asap, as these few bankrolled clubs are a disaster for the game. They are directly & indirectly inflating players prices and salaries and this is not good for the smaller clubs or the game as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It's crunch time now for FFP. I think it is supposed to come in fully for next season but clubs have to start reducing their spending more in line with revenues now.

I really hope UEFA stick to their guns on this but I fear it will end up watered down and worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

It's crunch time now for FFP. I think it is supposed to come in fully for next season but clubs have to start reducing their spending more in line with revenues now.

I really hope UEFA stick to their guns on this but I fear it will end up watered down and worthless.

Did the owners not sponsor the jersey or something for a ridiculous amount
    How are ufea gonna clamp down on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

VP is probably a realist.

He's won nothing with Arsenal, was he even there the last time they won a trophey?

8 years without a trophey, hell of a long time.

Secondly is realistic about how many years he has left at the top. He's 28 now, so maybe 4-5 years if he stays fit, but he's very injury prone.

As someone said, this is possibly his last big chance.

I'm not saying he will leave, but it would be hard to blame him if he did.

He probably realises Man City have a far far better chance of winning the league and CL next year with their unlimited resources than Arsenal.

8 years is a long time in football for a top player like Van Persie without winning trophies. While he's no doubt loyal, still its nice to win a trophey every now and again, and Wenger has lost the knack of winning trophies lately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Did the owners not sponsor the jersey or something for a ridiculous amount
    How are ufea gonna clamp down on that?

I thought it was for some new sports arena that the club were going to build with sponsored money and they supposedly overevaluated the actually price that will be attributed to the building of it? I could be completely wrong on that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Why exactly do spurs get their own forum again? They dont have anywhere near the amount of fans as United and Liverpool on here, but neither of those have their own forums? Hardly seems fair on every one else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Why exactly do spurs get their own forum again? They dont have anywhere near the amount of fans as United and Liverpool on here, but neither of those have their own forums? Hardly seems fair on every one else.

It's because the clubs you mentioned are at the adult table for dinner because they are all big clubs. Their own forum is really a kids table until they become a big club. They can join this forum with their own superthread then :cool:

A team-mate of Kagawa said "ask Arsene Wenger" when asked if the Japanese international would be with Dortmund next year. Nice rumour developing !

A team-mate of Kagawa said "ask Arsene Wenger" when asked if the Japanese international would be with Dortmund next year. Nice rumour developing !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp6odsjY2AY&NR=17:43

Somewhere around 17.40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

To which Wenger replied 'Dunno, United probably'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,198 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Skertle unhappy at Liverpool i'm told. Would he be a good signing for us ?

Arsenal couldn't afford him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm not a fan. Koscielny, Vermaelen and Mert are better IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Despise him as a player, personally. Such a thug.

I'm happy with our CBs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement