Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Is there any credible source that rvp might do a u turn or is it just goal.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So far I think its just goal.com bull**** probably the least reliable of website you could ever read.

Nice little read on Cazorla.

http://www.lifesapitch.co.uk/opinions/cazorla-to-kickstart-the-good-times-at-arsenal/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Unfortunately i think it's just from goal.com. And i'm pretty sure they got it from some lad on twitter who said that RVP was trying hard in training or something along those lines.

We had Podolski and Giroud before his statement. If Giroud wasn't confirmed when he released the statement it was certainly close to complete.

You can be sure that statement was prepared before we confirmed any signings.
    I don't see RVP having to do anything to prove he's worth keeping around, we already know he's worth the wage we are paying him, winning over the fans is a different matter and is this day and age , that's not really many footballers priority in life.
    I don't think Arsen Wenger will be telling him you better work extra hard to keep the fans happy, he will just carry on like it never happened, unlike a lot of the fans.
    And if he does move on, sure we are still in a great position, even without Cazorla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

RVP 11 wrote: »
    You can be sure that statement was prepared before we confirmed any signings.
    I don't see RVP having to do anything to prove he's worth keeping around, we already know he's worth the wage we are paying him, winning over the fans is a different matter and is this day and age , that's not really many footballers priority in life.
    I don't think Arsen Wenger will be telling him you better work extra hard to keep the fans happy, he will just carry on like it never happened, unlike a lot of the fans.
    And if he does move on, sure we are still in a great position, even without Cazorla.

It wasnt, whatever about Giroud Podolski was confirmed before the season even ended which that alone made a bit of a mockery of his statement.

The rest of your post I fully agree with though :).

It wasnt, whatever about Giroud Podolski was confirmed before the season even ended which that alone made a bit of a mockery of his statement.

The rest of your post I fully agree with though :).

You cannot know that it wasn't.
    Who's to say he hadn't prepared (not released) it during the season when we were out of the title race.?
    None of us knows what goes on behind closed doors, and the only thing we do know is he was really stupid to release it when he did.
    And that says one of two things,
    1. Like you say he wanted to force the club into selling him
    2. He wanted to force the club to look to reinforce the squad early so he could see if it's worth staying for the final year.

At least I hope so anyway on the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Have Arsenal played hardball and finally won?

I think they have put a price of about £30m+ on van Persie, coupled with the wages he is looking for, even Manchester City are balking at paying that for a player who is injury prone and, apart from last season, not Mr.Consistent.

Will we gain more by keeping him next season instead of selling him for about £10 -£15mil? He will have to prove himself to any potential employer that last season was no fluke, and that in turn, hugely benefits us - if we keep him, and have Giroud and Podolski up front being supplied by Arteta, the Ox, Walcott (??), Gervinho (played well for us before the ACN), Song and maybe Carzola - not too bad at all.

Just since the ACN was mentioned, who all might be leaving for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,267 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Song, Gervinho and Frimpong (if fit) i'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

The qualifiers are to be played in Sept.

Ghana play Malawi - not sure Frimpong will be playing if they qualify. Doubt he'll be playing a big part for us anyway.

Cameroon vs Cape Verde - If that goes to form we lose Song.

Morocco vs Mozambique - Chamakh

Ivory Coast vs Senegal - Tough one to call, Gervinho might stay this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You cannot know that it wasn't.
    Who's to say he hadn't prepared (not released) it during the season when we were out of the title race.?
    None of us knows what goes on behind closed doors, and the only thing we do know is he was really stupid to release it when he did.
    And that says one of two things,
    1. Like you say he wanted to force the club into selling him
    2. He wanted to force the club to look to reinforce the squad early so he could see if it's worth staying for the final year.

At least I hope so anyway on the second one.

The second one is rediculously wishful thinking. RVP was engineering a quick move away. If he had any ambition to stay at Arsenal he wouldn't have done what he did.

It's quite obvious that he had told Wenger earlier that he wasn't staying - that's why Giroud and Pod were signed. His statement was simply released to try to speed things up.

Obviously if he were to stay (sub 1% chance IMO) and start banging them in, like any fan, I'll forgive him quickly enough but all he wanted from this summer was to leave Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭iainconlon12

Have a feeling the Sahin deal completely depends on Modric to Madrid. If they can get him, they'll have no real need for Sahin so Madrid might give an "option to buy" in the Sahin loan deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Have a feeling the Sahin deal completely depends on Modric to Madrid. If they can get him, they'll have no real need for Sahin so Madrid might give an "option to buy" in the Sahin loan deal!

If that is the case we will probable be waiting a good while to see the end of the Sahin deal with Spurs playing hardball with Modric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

God we're like kids waiting for Santi to arrive.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Our team for the first day of the season could be...

Woj (Fabianski)

Jenkinson (Yennaris)---Kos (Mert)---Verm (Djourou)---Gibbs (Santos)

Song (Coquelin)
    Arteta (Ramsey)--- Carzdola (Rosicky)
    Walcott (Ox)
    Gervinho (Podolski)

RvP (Giroud)

With Sagna, Frimpong and Wilshere returning later in the season. I'd be over the moon with that TBH.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »

Woj (Fabianski)

Song (Coquelin)
    Walcott (Ox)
    Gervinho (Podolski)

RvP (Giroud)

With Sagna, Frimpong and Wilshere returning later in the season. I'd be over the moon with that TBH.

Everyone keeps forgetting about Diaby. If he stays injury free he'll be very useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Rosicky is out for 2 months though aint he

Everyone keeps forgetting about Diaby. If he stays injury free he'll be very useful.

Diaby to kick ass this season. He's my wildcard to come up trumps this year, injury free pending.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Diaby to kick ass this season. He's my wildcard to come up trumps this year, injury free pending.

Agree. He'll have a RVP-esqe season if he stays injury free but big IF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Diaby's looked good in pre season. Hopefully he'll do a RVP and beccome a legend this season........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

He'll probably be into the last year of his contract next summer if that happens :pac:

Let's give him the captaincy now to just get the ball rolling for an awkward transfer saga next summer with him.

Galvasean wrote: »

Woj (Fabianski)

Song (Coquelin)
    Walcott (Ox)
    Gervinho (Podolski)

RvP (Giroud)

Right back is the main stand out area of weakness there while Sagna is out. A good utility defender would be the ideal final piece. Vertonghen would have suited well but I'm sure he wanted first team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Afobe's going to bolton for the season

Id nearly start yennaris right back

Kind lost in everything he signed a new deal today

Also I think coq wil start ahead of jenkinsion

From this morning's Guardian.
    Santi Cazorla has undergone his medical at Arsenal and the club are poised to announce his £16m signing from Málaga, which they hope will be followed by the loan of Real Madrid's Nuri Sahin. Cazorla stands to travel with the Arsenal squad on their training excursion to Germany next week and make his debut in the friendly against FC Köln.

Full story here but there isn't a whole lot more to it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/02/arsenal-santi-cazorla-robin-van-persie

Here's one of those performance over 90 minutes of Carzola vrs Madrid last year.

Just filling myself in on the details now that I believe he's coming.
    Cazorla was one of Malaga’s most influential players, scoring 9 times and assisting another 5 more. He started every single league game for Malaga and ccording to WhoScored, he was the 4th highest rated player in La Liga coming behind and an impressive group you may have heard of, Messi, C. Ronaldo, and Xavi putting him in very high company.

and more
    Málaga, Spanish Attacking Midfielder, 5'6" (1.68 m), 146 lbs (66 kg)

Santi Cazorla has been an elite midfielder for the past six seasons.

During a spell with Recreativo, he took home the Don Balón Award for the best Spanish player in the league. His Man of the Match heroics in a 5-2 win over Deportivo de La Coruña still brings back good memories for the Recre faithful.

The next season, he was instrumental in Villarreal, claiming second place ahead of Barcelona.

There's one word to sum up Cazorla's time at Villarreal: consistent.

His ability to adapt as a false winger in a 4-2-2-2 demonstrated a sophisticated understanding of the game and versatility of the highest order.

Last season for Málaga, Sid Lowe rated Cazorla as the La Liga signing of the season and included the Spaniard in the Team of the Season.

Arsenal will be signing a reliable and proven international-standard player in Cazorla—you don't play 45 games for Spain without having world-class ability.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1280408-arsenal-transfer-what-you-must-know-about-arsenal-transfer-target-santi-cazorla/page/2

13yrs ago we signed Henry

I remember his first few games i thought he was brutal :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Cazorla is a quality player, the sort of marquee signing that Arsenal haven't made in a while. He's a proven high-quality performer in a top European league. At £16 he's an absolute bargain and a real addition to any team

This isn't something that you hear very often but Arsenal may have pulled off the transfer coup of the close season

• Advertisement

It's rumoured that we will offer him £70,000 a week.
    Jesus that's cheap.
    He will only be on 10k a week more than Chamakh.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Reekwind wrote: »
    At £16 he's an absolute bargain and a real addition to any team
    £16...Now that really is some bit of business!!:D
    Reekwind wrote: »
    Cazorla is a quality player, the sort of marquee signing that Arsenal haven't made in a while. He's a proven high-quality performer in a top European league.
    In fairness I'd rate Poldi in the same bracket. He may have struggled with Bayern a little but he's done well with Koln and Germany.
    Cazorla has not really been first choice with Spain and I'd guess most of his caps have come as sub appearances (I could be wrong about this). He's been a squad player more than an integral part of the team whereas Poldi has 100-odd caps for an almost-as-good Germany...

Very happy with both players if Santi is indeed coming to Town!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I wouldnt read too much into Cazorla's lack of game time with Spain. He's unlucky to be competing with the best midfield ever assembled. Sure even David Silva struggles to get a game when David Villa is fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Cazorla is a top quality player and in today's market £16m is a pretty decent deal for him.

You can't read anything into him not starting for Spain, their midfield is ridiculous. Still you've often seen him as first call from the bench which shows his quality.

He's not quite at the level of Iniesta or Silva, but he's only just slightly behind. He's better than Nasri for example imo (and I've always rated Nasri very highly).

/Jealous Liverpool fan

Sure Fabregas wasn't in the starting 11 for Spain for ages either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

If we now get Sahin aswell i'd be very happy with the transfer dealings regardless of where that other tosser ends up

If we now get Sahin aswell i'd be very happy with the transfer dealings regardless of where that other tosser ends up

Chamakh did ok, he's not that bad.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

So this is what it feels like when Arsenal invest! As Tony the Tiger would say"It's Grreeeaattt".
    Can't wait for the season to kick off now. Others seem to think we're over subscribed in midfield, I don't, it's healthy competition that was so badly needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

And all the while, United are being linked to big money players, who in the end don't arrive.

They haven't the money to sign Moura, for instance, so they look busy to keep the fans happy, and then lose out, like they were always going to.

Kagawa and powell will be the end of their business this summer (Kagawa was a super signing though).

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Kagawa is a brilliant signing and United's need to bring in new faces is a lot less than ours. They'll most likely win the league this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

meriwether wrote: »
    And all the while, United are being linked to big money players, who in the end don't arrive.

They haven't the money to sign Moura, for instance, so they look busy to keep the fans happy, and then lose out, like they were always going to.

Kagawa and powell will be the end of their business this summer (Kagawa was a super signing though).

Maybe, unless Madrid end up signing Nani. Then surely they'll make at least one more signing! Truth is, it doesn't really matter who's in that team, Ferguson gets above and beyond what you'd expect out of them every season...sickeningly.

L'prof wrote: »
    Truth is, it doesn't really matter who's in that team, Ferguson gets above and beyond what you'd expect out of them every season...sickeningly.
    Nah, people just don't rate their players highly enough.

WhoScored.com ‏@WhoScored
    Most passes completed in opposition half (top 5 leagues 2011/12): Xavi 1957, Pirlo 1715, Messi 1691, Alonso 1543, Cazorla 1467, Modric 1440

Can't wait to see him in action for us.

Kagawa is a brilliant signing and United's need to bring in new faces is a lot less than ours. They'll most likely win the league this season.

They need a left back and a holding midfielder to compete in Europe.

Kagawa fills the 'creativity hole' they had.

They've a team good enough to win the league, but are nowhere near Barca and Madrid.

And I think they've settled for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Nah, people just don't rate their players highly enough.

Certain players I'd agree with, but I can't help but feeling sometimes if we signed certain players from United, they just wouldn't perform as well for us.

• Advertisement

I think that just stems from a common tendency to overrate our players based on reputations built early in their careers. As far as getting the best out of players; Wenger routinely loses his best players year and after year and keeps getting unfancied teams to 3rd/4th.

The Barca want Song rumours are growing I see and some young Celtic player being linked as a replacement. I hope Song remains and Wenger tells Barca to fcuk off. Great team - hateful fcukers.

Most passes completed in opposition half (top 5 leagues 2011/12): Xavi 1957, Pirlo 1715, Messi 1691, Alonso 1543, Cazorla 1467, Modric 1440

Can't wait to see him in action for us.
    Mikel Arteta passed over 2200 times with a pass accuracy of 91% (2002 completed) for Arsenal last season.
    He averaged 76.9 passes per game, (higher than any other player)
    So Cazorla will be in good company.:cool:
    Our midfield will be our strongest asset, as long as we hold onto Song.

Mikel Arteta passed over 2200 times with a pass accuracy of 91% for Arsenal last season.
    He averaged 76.9 passes per game, (higher than any other player)
    So Cazorla will be in good company.:cool:
    Our midfield will be our strongest asset, as long as we hold onto Song.

Song is poor defensively.

His attacking attributes are now no longer needed with Santa, Arteta, a returnign Wilshere (fingers crossed) and Ramsey and Ox emerging at a rate of knots.

Cash in and replace with a proper DM if available. M'Vila, I suppose, if he's as good as he's made out to be.

Song and Walcott would, if sold, sell for more than they are worth.

meriwether wrote: »
    Song is poor defensively.

His attacking attributes are now no longer needed with Santa, Arteta, a returnign Wilshere (fingers crossed) and Ramsey and Ox emerging at a rate of knots.

Cash in and replace with a proper DM if available. M'Vila, I suppose, if he's as good as he's made out to be.

Song and Walcott would, if sold, sell for more than they are worth.

I wasn't referring to his attacking prowess, more so his defensive side (when he DOES do it, he is usually resolute).
    As much as i'm not a fan of Song, i'd rather him be told to do his DMC job than bringing in a replacement that may not live up to expectations.
    But if Barca have their heart set on him, i suppose they gets what they want.:mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement