Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryder Cup - Tickets have arrived

• 25-08-2014 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭

Getting exciting now. Our tickets arrived in the post this morning. Can't wait.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Actually the least I've ever been looking forward to the Ryder Cup, mostly because the US team looks like it could be pretty weak. Also think it could be a washout with it being so late in the year now with the FedEx cup. But I'd still like to be going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭GenuineFan

Aw, don't burst my bubble. I have never been to the Ryder Cup and looking forward to it. Maybe I am easily pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭baboo800

Hope you have a great time GF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭delboykelly

GenuineFan wrote: »
    Getting exciting now. Our tickets arrived in the post this morning. Can't wait.

Got mine too. Nice little pack it came in. Can't wait. Only got tickets for the Sunday. Wish I was going every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

fullstop wrote: »
    Actually the least I've ever been looking forward to the Ryder Cup, mostly because the US team looks like it could be pretty weak. Also think it could be a washout with it being so late in the year now with the FedEx cup. But I'd still like to be going!

You sour bollox!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭saintastic

the US team looks like it could be pretty weak.

Don't know if I agree with that:

Watson - won a major this year - excellent in fourballs
    Fowler - fantastic major record this year - arguably the 2nd best player in the world at the moment
    Furyk - highest ranked American in the OWGR - having a great season and in great form
    Walker - 7th in the PGA, 26th in The Open and 9th in the US Open
    Mickelson - should be excellent in fourballs - very strong player
    Kuchar - Has won on tour this season, 9th, 12th and 4th in last three events
    Spieth - Starting to find form again and has Walker Cup experience. Great talent.
    Reed - 9th, 24th, 58th, 4th (WGC) in last four events so showing strong form
    Johnson - Treading water slightly form wise but has won 3 out of 7 ryder cup matches and would be great for foursomes.

Then add in the following picks and their team is looking quite strong:

Mahan - in great form obviously
    Bradley - 4th in US Open, 19th in The Open, 4th in WGC and loves Ryder Cup. Will make good pairing with Mickleson.
    Snedeker - missed the cut at The Barclays but went 5th, 13th and 12th in the three preceeding events.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

saintastic wrote: »

Fowler - fantastic major record this year - arguably the 2nd best player in the world at the moment
    Furyk - highest ranked American in the OWGR - having a great season and in great form
    Spieth - Starting to find form again and has Walker Cup experience. Great talent.
    Johnson - Treading water slightly form wise but has won 3 out of 7 ryder cup matches and would be great for foursomes.

Bradley - 4th in US Open, 19th in The Open, 4th in WGC and loves Ryder Cup. Will make good pairing with Mickleson.
    Snedeker - missed the cut at The Barclays but went 5th, 13th and 12th in the three preceeding events.

I agree 100%, paper does little when the team aspect comes into play and players hit form at the right time.
    I'm hoping for a tight/tough contest with a marginal Euro victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think the US are going to win.

Was thinking that last time as Ollie was a bit of a clown - but the whole Seve thing worked.

This will go down like a lead balloon - I like McGinley as a bloke, a golfer, hope he wins.

But don't rate him up against Watson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭newport2

slave1 wrote: »
    I agree 100%, paper does little when the team aspect comes into play and players hit form at the right time.
    I'm hoping for a tight/tough contest with a marginal Euro victory.

Like Thomas Levet said to some US players a few years ago when they lost after much pre-tournament hype about the US being the strongest team by far on paper, something along the lines of "Pity for you we play golf on grass over here and not paper" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Was thinking that last time as Ollie was a bit of a clown - but the whole Seve thing worked.

This will go down like a lead balloon - I like McGinley as a bloke, a golfer, hope he wins.

Yea, but the role of the Captain is grossly overstated. You have to have some appreciation for how to pair your 4ball and 4somes but ultimately the Captains importance is written in hindsight.
    Win and you're a genius, loose and you are a fool, and as long as you aren't Hal Sutton or Nick Faldo, you aren't really going to F it up too badly.
    Great case in point was Azinger and his master stroke of using pod's of players. Dave Stockton thought at the time, it was a bit stupid, but once the US team won, then it would always be lauded as genius. Even that duo of complete clowns James and Browne, nearly won it in Brookline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I'd reckon the role of a captain in golf teams is always overstated, and the importance of the role in Ryder Cup golf is a media creation that keeps eating itself, to the point that some captains even believe it themselves.

I can't remember which European captain it was who considered the idea of having 12 vice captains, one for each match on day three, but whoever it was kind of summed up the eating yourself mentality that pervades. What on earth Rory, Sergio or Justin could gain from having an elder statesman torturing them with frantic scoring updates, 'strategy' and backslappery, I've no idea. But hey, the captain could have a realtime ear and eye on proceedings - that's what's important.

Last thought is simple enough. A bad captain has the potential to lose the event by setting the wrong atmosphere in his team. But even the best captain in the history of the world ever can't uncoil a drive or sink a putt in this event: they're spectators like the rest of us.

Felexicon wrote: »
    You sour bollox!!!!!!

Is there any need for the personal abuse? :rolleyes:

I'm entitled to my opinion and that's my opinion, couldn't give 2 fcuks if you like it or not. Maybe hava another read of the last sentence, I said I'd still like to be going.

saintastic wrote: »

Yeah but 4 of the world's top 5 will be lining up for Europe and the US are missing Dustin Johnson, Tiger Woods and possibly Jason Dufner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

GF you will have a great time, my first was Medinah,looking forward to experiencing it in Europe, Team Europe were great with the fans especially on practice days in Medinah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is there any need for the personal abuse? :rolleyes:

I'm entitled to my opinion and that's my opinion, couldn't give 2 fcuks if you like it or not. Maybe hava another read of the last sentence, I said I'd still like to be going.
    Felexicon wrote: »
    You sour bollox!!!!!!

relax people.
    If you have a problem with a post, report it and move on, replying on thread brings you under the mod microscope.

GreeBo wrote: »
    relax people.
    If you have a problem with a post, report it and move on, replying on thread brings you under the mod microscope.

So, for future reference, it's ok to call someone a sour bollox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Zardoz

thewobbler wrote: »
    I'd reckon the role of a captain in golf teams is always overstated, and the importance of the role in Ryder Cup golf is a media creation that keeps eating itself, to the point that some captains even believe it themselves.

Well Mc Ginley keeps on saying its a full time job for 2 years !
    I crack up when I hear him saying it ,pure nonsense.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Well Mc Ginley keeps on saying its a full time job for 2 years !
    I crack up when I hear him saying it ,pure nonsense.

Sure when he got the job - he played more golf and did more tv work than ever.

Now - he could argue - it keeps him more informed on team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Based on what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Based on what?

Exactly. Is Watson going to exert some magical influence that will turn the US team into worldbeaters? Or does the fact that he has won loads of majors mean that he is going to totally out-strategise McGinley?

• Advertisement

Based on what?

Well the US have a better captain.

They are going into it as underdogs. Will suit them for a change. The last win by Europe was painful for them.

The last European win was a bit of a freak. Hard to see yanks being that poor in a singles again. Impossible in fact.

Some European players are not going into it in great form
    Kaymer
    Rose

The guys in form are very hot and cold.
    Stension
    Garcia

I don't think Bjorn is good under pressure - the guys the European team are looking at picking are not in form .

The players you would look at in Europe for a Ryder cup are not in great form - Poulter - McDowell - Donald - Westwood.

Europe need Rookies to play a stormer - this is their best hope. The European team have great Rookies. But this is always a hit and miss affair. I feel the greatest strength Europe has are the strong Rookies.

Will be interesting to see how Rory does in a team ? - his performance will be a big factor.

Just a feeling. A sporting opinion - you could make the same argument about the other team.

But will be putting my money on yanks - how many points are Fowler and Mickelson going to get alone.

Again, based on what? Sure, Watson has had a far more successful career than McGinley, but that doesn't necessarily translate into making him a better captain. Look at the mess Faldo made of the captaincy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

They are going into it as underdogs. Will suit them for a change. The last win by Europe was painful for them.

The last European win was a bit of a freak. Hard to see yanks being that poor in a singles again. Impossible in fact.

Some European players are not going into it in great form
    Kaymer
    Rose

The guys in form are very hot and cold.
    Stension
    Garcia

I don't think Bjorn is good under pressure - the guys the European team are looking at picking are not in form .

The players you would look at in Europe for a Ryder cup are not in great form - Poulter - McDowell - Donald - Westwood.

Europe need Rookies to play a stormer - this is their best hope. The European team have great Rookies. But this is always a hit and miss affair. I feel the greatest strength Europe has are the strong Rookies.

Will be interesting to see how Rory does in a team ? - his performance will be a big factor.

Just a feeling. A sporting opinion - you could make the same argument about the other team.

But will be putting my money on yanks - how many points are Fowler and Mickelson going to get alone.

My goodness Fixde, you are really clutching at straws to manufacture some kind of argument here.

Rose, in bad form?!?

Garcia has been one of the most consistent performers in the big events over the last 4 months, Stenson in contention also in USPGA

Don't think McDowell or Donald will make the team so that's easy

I honestly think this is probably the strongest European team ever, it's going to be a demolition job, much as I'd prefer a close run thing.

It's the US players who are in poor form, bar Jim who is a perennial bottler!

........pause to get my breath back :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I'm really not sure why anyone would confidently predict any player's performance in Ryder Cup competition, based on how they've performed in the Majors.

They're both called golf, and both involve striking a ball with a club as few times as possible, but the mental approach is so remarkably different that there's no comparison in my mind.

Also, as the US will be bringing 8-9 of the 20 highest ranked players in the world with them, it's quite bizarre that anyone would predict a demolition job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

- how many points are Fowler and Mickelson going to get alone.

If their previous records are anything to go by, they'll win less than they loose

Phil 14-18-6
    Fowler 0-1-2 (I'd forgotten Rickie didn't play in Medinah and would accept hes a better player today than he was in Celtic Manor)

Bubba (3-5-0) will be interesting. I think only himself and Zach Johnson (6-8-1) are the only ones with winning records. Gleneagles should suit Bubba, but as a notorious awful player in poor weather, conditions late Sept in Scotland won't suit him. He more than Phil could be the Bell Weather for the US team. Bubba playing well could have a very positive effect on the US team. An unhappy Bubba could be disruptive for the rest of them.

Big Chap - Demolition (lol)

Rose was ranked world number 4 at last Ryder cup - he is now 18. He has shown signs of a return lately - but he couldn't miss a putt in 2012 - that is sadly not there for him now.

Garcia - great performances this year - but under pressure and when it comes to the clutch - his putting is weak - mentally weak too.

Stension was the best player in the world in 2013 - that is why he is in team - he is now world ranking 19 - lost 16 places. Again a bit of form coming - but two of the big players in team from 2013 - have been a bit up and down in 2014.

Trapper.

Europe have won 10 of the last 14 matches.

It will be hard to find too many Americans with a great record.

Rickie - a new player.

Will be interesting to see if he puts Phil and Rickie together - too much resources in one group maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Big Chap - Demolition (lol)

Rose was ranked world number 4 at last Ryder cup - he is now 18. He has shown signs of a return lately - but he couldn't miss a putt in 2012 - that is sadly not there for him now.

Garcia - great performances this year - but under pressure and when it comes to the clutch - his putting is weak - mentally weak too.

Stension was the best player in the world in 2013 - that is why he is in team - he is now world ranking 19 - lost 16 places. Again a bit of form coming - but two of the big players in team from 2013 - have been a bit up and down in 2014.

I think your world ranking information is a little bit dated....

http://www.owgr.com/

Rose 5th
    Stenson 3rd
    Garcia Top Class, I dont care how much you hate him.

Rikand wrote: »
    I think your world ranking information is a little bit dated....

http://www.owgr.com/

Rose 5th
    Stenson 3rd
    Garcia Top Class, I dont care how much you hate him.

Lol - don't know what I was looking at. So much for me :p

How is Garcia top class - at what ?

• Advertisement

Lol - don't know what I was looking at. So much for me :p

How is Garcia top class - at what ?

Playing golf for a start.

Currently ranked number 4 in the world.

In the passed 52 weeks he has won twice, been 2nd 4 times and 3rd twice

In those events he came 2nd.

WGC - Mcilroy, the best golfer in the world, blitzed him in the opening 5 holes, but he still only finished 2 shots behind

British Open - started the day 7 shots behind McIlroy. Shoots brilliant 66 to only finish 2 behind.

Travellers Championship. Kevin Streelman finishes with 7 straight birdies to pip Garcia and Choi by 1

Nedbank Challenge. Shoots a final round 65(joint best of the week). But so does Bjorn who wins by two.

Ryder Cup Record -

Winner - 2002, 2004, 2006, 2012

Foursomes: 8-2-1 ( 8 wins, 1 half, 2 losses )
    Fourball: 6-2-3 ( 6 wins, 2 halves, 3 losses )
    Singles: 2-4-0 ( okay, he's **** in singles, but he beat Furyk last year when he was 1 down with 2 holes to go, winning 17 and 18.Furyk bogeyed, but shaky hands and shaky mind Garcia, still needed 2 solid pars to win

He's TOP CLASS and he's been brilliant this year. Sure how else does he go from 19th in the world at the start of the year to 4th, with a high of 3rd.

TOP CLASS!

just noticed I'm not the only one with outdated stats - that ryder cup info was from before the 2012 one - oops :D

-edited in with current information-

just noticed I'm not the only one with outdated stats - that ryder cup info was from before the 2012 one - oops :D

-edited in with current information-

I don't think it matters to anybody.

But he is still a fairly unlike-able bloke.

He is just is a pain in the .......... :eek:

I agree that Garcia is not particularly likeable (well, I don't particularly like him for lots of reasons, many of then related to his dealings with Padraig Harrington), but I have to admit that he's a top class player with an excellent Ryder Cup record. And I would expect him to be one of the key players in this year's competition.

abff wrote: »
    I agree that Garcia is not particularly likeable (well, I don't particularly like him for lots of reasons, many of then related to his dealings with Padraig Harrington), but I have to admit that he's a top class player with an excellent Ryder Cup record. And I would expect him to be one of the key players in this year's competition.

A great golfer - agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Brodick

My ticket has arrived for Wednesday practice but I can't go. As far as I can see the tickets can't be transferred and you can't get a refund. Does anyone know the situation?

• Advertisement

Brodick wrote: »
    My ticket has arrived for Wednesday practice but I can't go. As far as I can see the tickets can't be transferred and you can't get a refund. Does anyone know the situation?

Yeah they seem to be non transferable and non refundable, does your ticket for Wednesday have your photo on it ?

I don't think it matters to anybody.

But he is still a fairly unlike-able bloke.

He is just is a pain in the .......... :eek:

and that affects his golfing ability how ?

A great golfer - agree.

nevermind, just saw this.

still doesnt make sense when coupled with this though

nevermind, just saw this.

still doesnt make sense when coupled with this though

You can be a great golfer - but a poor clutch golfer.

He doesn't have a major - Why :confused:

You can be an ok golfer but a great clutch golfer (McDowell) - He has a major.

But Ryder cup is different .

Yeah im bowing out of this. I just remembered I hated arguing on the internet lol

To the original poster, congrats on the tickets. I am well jealous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭whitefoot

They always state this as the T&C's for Ryder Cup tickets but the reality is that when they are admitting thousands of people I have never seen this checked.

I remember in the run up to the K Club Ryder Cup Passport numbers were requested which got everyone compliant but again on the day it was not enforced. I guess they do no want to see any black market on tickets. I would hate to be the bearer of a second hand ticket and asked for the authentication which in theory anyway they could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Playing golf for a start.

Currently ranked number 4 in the world.

In the passed 52 weeks he has won twice, been 2nd 4 times and 3rd twice

In those events he came 2nd.

WGC - Mcilroy, the best golfer in the world, blitzed him in the opening 5 holes, but he still only finished 2 shots behind

British Open - started the day 7 shots behind McIlroy. Shoots brilliant 66 to only finish 2 behind.

Travellers Championship. Kevin Streelman finishes with 7 straight birdies to pip Garcia and Choi by 1

Nedbank Challenge. Shoots a final round 65(joint best of the week). But so does Bjorn who wins by two.

Ryder Cup Record -

Winner - 2002, 2004, 2006, 2012

Foursomes: 8-2-1 ( 8 wins, 1 half, 2 losses )
    Fourball: 6-2-3 ( 6 wins, 2 halves, 3 losses )
    Singles: 2-4-0 ( okay, he's **** in singles, but he beat Furyk last year when he was 1 down with 2 holes to go, winning 17 and 18.Furyk bogeyed, but shaky hands and shaky mind Garcia, still needed 2 solid pars to win

He's TOP CLASS and he's been brilliant this year. Sure how else does he go from 19th in the world at the start of the year to 4th, with a high of 3rd.

TOP CLASS!

Yeah, but other than that, what has Garcia ever done for us?

SarahLil wrote: »
    Yeah they seem to be non transferable and non refundable, does your ticket for Wednesday have your photo on it ?

My photo is on the ticket.

My pal will go on his own but I don't think he'll ask anyone to go with him on the off chance they get knocked back.

The travel arrangements are pretty fierce. Even people living beside Gleneagles have to drive to Stirling to get a bus back to Gleneagles. so it would be miserable to get turned away.

My photo is on the ticket.

My pal will go on his own but I don't think he'll ask anyone to go with him on the off chance they get knocked back.

The travel arrangements are pretty fierce. Even people living beside Gleneagles have to drive to Stirling to get a bus back to Gleneagles. so it would be miserable to get turned away.

Yeah it sounds like it's going to be manic, we had to book trains in advance, they seem to be very strict with tickets compared to Medinah. Forgive my ignorance never been to Scotland would you suggest I bring wellies for Gleneagles that time of year ?

Sarah Lil. The weather in Scotland is like here - 4 seasons in one day. It could be glorious but to be honest it could be miserable just as easily. Gleneagles is significantly further north than here so there is more chance of cooler weather. Wellies and woollie jumpers for sure together with rain gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Rocko

Staying in Glasgow for the Ryder Cup.

Going on the Sunday but have found out that all trains have sold out and no buses are running from Glasgow to Gleneagles on the Sunday.

Anyone have any idea how to get to the course on the Sunday morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭GenuineFan

Scot Rail have trains going from Glasgow to gleneagles.

https://scotrail.co.uk/rc2014travel/

GenuineFan wrote: »
    Scot Rail have trains going from Glasgow to gleneagles.

https://scotrail.co.uk/rc2014travel/

They have 2-3 trains from Glasgow on Sunday but they are all booked up. There are no buses leaving Glasgow on Sunday.

I thought travel to the golf course would be the least of my travel problems!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Rocko wrote: »
    They have 2-3 trains from Glasgow on Sunday but they are all booked up. There are no buses leaving Glasgow on Sunday.

I thought travel to the golf course would be the least of my travel problems!!

Are you travelling in a group?

If there are 3-4 people then it'll probably be just as cheap, if not cheaper, to get a cab.
    I know Falkirk to Edinburgh set me back about £40 the last time, approx 40mins.
    Glasgow to Gleneagles is about an hour so you should be able to arrange a deal for £60 making it fairly economical for even just 2 people.

Getting back would require a bit of calling around in advance.

Poor form really that there aren't sufficient trains going.

There are only 2 of us.

Around Gleneagles is in complete lock down, no cars, taxis (pedestrian drop offs) etc left near the place.

It looks like our only option now is to hire a car (or a taxi) and use the Park & Ride in Stirling (not the cheapest of options).

I thought they would put on as many trains & especially buses as required but obviously not

• Advertisement
Advertisement